• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quarantine!!!

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Guys, The buns are all having there jabs on saturday (old ones ran out). But i have one problem, Yesterday three of the buns escaped, Duff, Spot and Velvet. They live in one of the runs together (no other buns). We managed to catch them and have quarantined them in a kennel, the only buns they have been near are the wild ones!!!! this is my problem, although we don't have mixy or VHD in the area there is mixy and VHD 8 miles down the road, i am a little worried that because of there little adventure they may have caught something, does any one know how long i should keep them quarantined before i put them back in the run (which is now all fixed)??

6 Weeks!!!!! My word they'll be going nuts by that piont.

I'll still be O.K to have them vaccinated on saturday though??

Phill said:
6 Weeks!!!!! My word they'll be going nuts by that piont.

I'll still be O.K to have them vaccinated on saturday though??

i dont see why not but if they have caught something now the vacine will be useless! but will prtect them if they catch something after two weeks of having the vacine.

eve x

I'll still get them done then, cause if they havn't caught anything they'll be protected, V worrying though

oh gosh I hope evrything is ok and that they haven't caught anythin, what naughty bunsters all escaping bet one got out then said come on to the next and so on!

I can't think of anything else they'd have picked up off the wild bunnies that you wouldn't have noticed by then but would in a couple more weeks. To be honest if they are all vaccinated against myxy I'd give them four days for the vhd and then put them back in. Myxy is spread by biting insects so I don't think quarentening them like that would make much difference. If its in the local area then you buns aren't really at any extra risk. Just check they haven't picked up any fleas.

You could always call you vet and get an expert opinion tho, they're more knowledgable on possible diseases and how contagious things are etc. :)

Tam

Hiya I agree with Tamsin, I would give it 3 to 4 days and then pop the bunnies back into their original environment.
I would suggest spraying them with anti flea spray, or using flea powder asap. as if for any reason any of them are carrying a flea (that could be infected with Myxomatosis) then at least it will stop the fleas hopping elsewhere(and carrying disease to other bunnies).
For unvaccinated bunnies we extend the quarantine to a month plus here at the Sanctuary, as this gives times for all the proper checks to be done, and for the bunnies to be treated for EC (a parasite)..but this is a bit of a different situation to keeping a few bunnies.

To reassure you, after just one outing it is a very low chance that the bunnies have picked anything up, but you are right to be cautious.
By the end of the coming weekend you will be clear for VHD at least which is the easier of the two diseases for bunnies to pick up.
De fleaing will contain the tranmission of Myxomatosis to a large extent, so this is something to think about now :wink: :)
Good luck and let us know how things go.

Thanks V much guys i will de flea when i get home tonight. My mum said that they wern't out for long but they have still poss been near wild buns so all precautions taken!!

Adele said:
For unvaccinated bunnies we extend the quarantine to a month plus here at the Sanctuary, as this gives times for all the proper checks to be done, and for the bunnies to be treated for EC (a parasite)..but this is a bit of a different situation to keeping a few bunnies.

Do you treat your Rabbits regularly for EC Adele or do you just do it for new Rabbits? How do you treat them and what do you use?

Louise

ellepotter said:
Adele said:

Do you treat your Rabbits regularly for EC Adele or do you just do it for new Rabbits? How do you treat them and what do you use?

Louise

I will Pm you Louise :wink: :)

adele would you mind pming me about this to because i get awfully confused with what you should do for the best with new buns

eve x

Hi guys just to update you on the escapee buns!!!!! they are showing no sighns of anything yet, fingers crossed and they have all been checked for fleas and nothing nota one i have still deflead them and will put them back in there run sunday.

That is encouraging news Phill, bet you will be pleased to get them back into their usual pen soon :)

Gosh yes there going nuts all cooped up!! even if the kennel is 12ft long by 4ft wide there usual space is much larger.

Back