• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When should you expect them to eat?

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I know its a major op and that its understandable that they dont wanna eat following a spay. But i just want to know when i should be worried. Ive been syringing water with a little pineapple juice in it into her mouth.. and have also mushed her pellets with warm water and syringed quite a bit of that into her mouth today. She has done a few poops.. some quite sticky caecal type and a few normal ones but much smaller than usual. I have tried to tempt her with pellets, parsley, cabbage, carrots.. she will move her mouth on it but doesnt bite them.
Sorry to go on but this is the first major op ive known so hard to know how she should be. She isnt grinding her teeth so im guessing she isnt in pain. She just doesnt seem to help herself to food. I think she has drank a little water on her own but not much.

Oh dideen, at least you've managed to get some food and water down her have you rang the vets and asked there advice?

not yet.. i think they said to ring if nothing after 24hrs. Im just not sure really what i should expect her to do. I dont know why she wont bite anything but yet she will happily lick it out a syringe.. guess she is just still exhausted/in shock. What would they do to get her eating?

My vet gives me shachets of rapid recovery (science recovery) to serynge feed with if they havn't eaten after 1 hr this seems to work really well and gets there guts working but it's really just the same as the feeding that your already doing. I have'nt had my females spayed yet just the males my old english is getting done on monday so it'll be me worrying next week and you giving the advice!! i would just keep up with what your doing dideen and as your vet said if she's still not right in 24hrs call them but if your still worried by tonight i would give them a ring anyway even if it's just for a bit of reasurance.

hi chris

as long as she is pooping and you are getting somethink down her then i would say leave her to rest, i have found after 10 of these ops now, that they are normally back to normal after 72 hours, if she appears not to eat or pass any motions after 12 hours then have a fell of her tum, if it feels harder than normal take her back to the vets for a jab of the gut movement drug (Mycr smething) i have found especially with spays that this is needed maybe once!

but if she is eating little bits and is motioning and does not appear to be in pain then she will be ok!!!

come on nala eat for mum!!

i know its worrying chris but dhe will be ok!

Eve x

bunny-mad said:
How long has it been?

She was done yesterday so almost 24hrs now since i picked her up.

Thanks guys.. i'll keep on with syringing her food and water. Im on nighshift tonight so hopefully when i get home in the morning there might be some poops. Her checkup is thursday morning

ooooooooooooooooo... just caught her eating her carrot! YAY!

I was just about to get the vet's phone no. and ask what i should do and i heard a noise :lol: :D

Thank goodness for that Diddeen :thumb: ..sounds like Nala is just a bit shocked still, it can take 2 to 3 days before Does are happily munching away once more.
I think they must feel very fatigued and we do not eat much when we feel very tired....sounds like she will be munching her way back to her former glory very soon, bless her :D

Well half a cabbage leaf has disappeared jsut now and now she is munching through some parsley :D this is more like her.. looks like she's out of the worst now.. Thanks for all the support guys. Its so nice being able to come on here and talk to people

Awww way to go Nala!! - Carrot sounds like good news Chris - I think its always wise to be a worry mum - I definately am - When Buffs was done a few years ago now I'm sure she was out of sorts for at least 48 hours ish before she was any where near getting back to normal - but like all things it differs for individual bunsters.

Great News though (Phew too!!!!!)

Ooh, that's good to hear!

My girls thankfully were sooooo good after their spey, they started eating pretty much straight away. I was prepared for loads of worrying, but for once they let me off!

Sounds like Nala's on the mend!

So glad she has started eating again :) It's good she is pooing as well as u know her guts are still working! I think I have been quite lucky with Pip, as after all three of her ops she has started eating at the vets straight away and after she gets home (one of those ops was quite a big op to remove a mammary gland and mammary strip). I know I would def b worrying if she hadn't eaten or pooed after 24-48 hous tho!!

Give Nala snuggles from me and my girls.

Nicola

hi

Oh good - she sounds like she's on the road to recovery :D

Edana, Benji and Pepper (relieved to be boys) :love:

oh Chris what are you like! I thought I was a doting bunny mummy but I take my hat off to you!

I'm so glad she's perked up. Give her nose rub from me, Charlie and Lavender. :D

hehehe well i think all the syringing stuff yesterday did her good. Got home this morning after a night shift to a dog cage full of poops! There are quite a few big caecal ones and the normal poos are very hard and small so i guess she is going to need fluid syringed in.. cant really tell if she has drank anything. Looks like she is over the worst of it anyways. I left her with a cabbage leaf, piece of carrot, some parsley and a handful of pellets last night and this morning.. all gone!!!

Back