• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry Long post

Hi guys i've had a look at all the previous cage forums and i don't know what to do?? Patch the bunny who cam eto me yesterday is a house bunny (i have never had a house bunny) i spent yesterday bunn proofing the bedroom do there are no wires that he can chew. During the day time he has a run on the lawn but until we decide for definate weather he will stay as a house bunny (depends on wether he likes it outside) he is coming in a night and sleepig in the house. Last night he slept on the bed with me but i need a sort of hidy hole for him to snooze in and keep food and water off my floor. I've found a really good site that does dog cages and there is a small one which was 29"x18"X something else. Not terribly big but he is really never going to be in it and i feel that he needs a space of his own! What do you all suggest??

Alot of people buy their dog crates from ebay as they work out much cheaper than shops. I have also seem 'bunny residences' which look similar to dog crates in Jollyes pet shop which looked pretty good - they were about £45 if I recall correctly.

Another idea which is often used for rabbit housing are the homemade cages made from storage cubes - the following link gives some excellent ideas and advice on how to make them. It is a US site but I think it has suggestions of how to find the relevant materials to make them in the UK. http://cavycages.com/cubes.htm

These storage cubes used to be available on ebay and I have seen them in a B&Q Warehouse but not sure if they are regularly stocked.

Wow they're cheap :D Any of them is good really, if he's on his own, and he's smallish isn't it?? My bunny mostly just uses his as a base as well.

One tip don't line if with vetbed if you can him to come out!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Towsbuns said:
Another idea which is often used for rabbit housing are the homemade cages made from storage cubes - the following link gives some excellent ideas and advice on how to make them. It is a US site but I think it has suggestions of how to find the relevant materials to make them in the UK. http://cavycages.com/cubes.htm

These storage cubes used to be available on ebay and I have seen them in a B&Q Warehouse but not sure if they are regularly stocked.

I was looking at these, the thing is that they get really expensive on ebay, (I'm watching 3), coz everyone wants them coz they're not available in many other places, bleieve me I've looked!!

Not tried B&Q warehouse though, not sure where my nearest is!!

He's not that small, i'm gonna post pics of him tonight but he's never going to be locked in it just a place for him to escape to if he feels like it and to put litter tray food and water!!! I really can't decide!!!! urgh brain hutrs!!!!

Think those would do fine if he's never gonna be left in there! As long as it's big enough for him to have a little run about in if he feels like, and especially if he's got your house and the garden to play in :)

In the Why Does My Rabbit...? book, it says about house bunnies jjust using their cages like their burrows as a base and somewhere to hide or run to if they want to be undercover.

The B&Q Warehouse I saw them in was in Northampton but it was a few months ago, they have also been seen in some cheapy shops like QD (who tend to only be in East Anglia) so it may be worth looking around.

Towsbuns said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: *confused* :? :?

Phill said:
Ooh flip ijust ordered that book from amazon should be here any day now

it's really good, you can't put it down!! I read it in a day!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny to be called flip :lol: :lol: :lol:

FlipFlop said:
Towsbuns said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: *confused* :? :?

Sorry flipflop. I am at work and doing two things at once and couldn't remember whether I had hit the post button or not - ended up with a delayed second posting which I have just edited to be an answer - you notcied too quickly.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just funny the way you went oh flip, as if you'd done something wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's really strange ofr me, as my name's Laura :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peaople normally call me Lola or Loley, but some of my crazier friends do call me Loloz :roll: :lol: :lol:

hi

I use a collection of nursery fireguards for my bunny pen - they're litter trained so I'm not bothered about a floor to the cage. They're about 3' long by 30" high, and the L shaped end is really useful - about £8 for a panel - but you have to buy a pair for a fireguard - think they're about £16 from Argos - mine are from Great Universal catalogue. I also use them to fence off the patio when they have a run around, and they are easy to move around if they're not permanently fastened together - I use cable ties for that...There's even a latch function as they are fireguards - no chance of my bunnies opening the door!

P1010003.jpg

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

Back