• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Long hair a problem :-(

Debs0371

Warren Scout
:cry: I was hoping I could deal with this but I'm not sure I can and now I'm feeling guilty and awful. I got Houdini and Lamps beginning of March this year. They are brothers from the same litter but ccouldnt look more different! Houdini is black with short hair and Lamps is gun metal grey and black with fine long hair. It's Lamp's hair thats the problem. It gets knotted so easily. I had reservations when i got him and I really should have listened to my gut feelings and not brought him home. He wont let me brush his hair. I got some advice from a re-homing shelter about how to hold a bunny so it doesnt struggle and the guy made it look so easy I thought I'd be able to do it too, but Lamps just fights and struggles and keeps giving me warning bites. I'm worried I've taken on more than I can handle and I dont want Lamps to suffer for my mistake.....

Hiya,

The easiest solution if your not able to brush him is to have his fur clipped shorter. It might make him look abit scruffy but it will make his coat much easier to manage.

You can do this carefully yourself or your vet will be able to do it for you :)

Here is an example of a long haired bun thats been clipped:

000_0132.jpg

Tam

:shock: I guess he would look abit funny, but better that than being in pain from the knots pulling on his skin. The hair is so fine the knots start right by the skin so it makes it doubly awkward trying to brush them out coz I'm conscious of not hurting him. I picked them up from the vets last Friday - they've just been neutured. maybe that's why he wont let me near him? What about winter tho, my bunnies live outdoors in a hutch.

Awwwww there's Bear, what a handsome chap and whoever clipped him did a wonderful job :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's always easier having someone else holding the bun whist you clip with round nosed safety scissors. I didn't do it all at once, I clipped a bit then gave him a break, then clipped again, etc. Sometimes it took a couple of nights to do, but he was so much more comfortable and happier with a clipped coat.

Would the rescue you got him from not give you a help? Explain to them that you have nobody to hold him for you and that you'd appreciate their assistance if possible.

Otherwise sometimes the bun needs to go to the vet to be sedated to have it's fur clipped but it's not advisable to have this done too often so keeping his coat clipped afterwards for 'maintenance' (ie. clipped once a week or so) by you. I found it easier to clip most of Bear's coat whilst he was sitting on the floor and only needed assistance with his underside.

Wish i was closer to u.. id have come over and given u a hand. Simba's fur used to get knotted really easily but its not so bad now.. i comb him daily with a metal flea comb. I get the occassional nip from him but usually he just gets my jumper. You do have to be firm with them tho which is always hard but has to be done for their own good. Do u know of any other rabbit people near you?

I didnt get them form a shelter, I bought them privately. I'd watned to get 2 together so they'd be company for each other while we're at work and also at night time. They were the only ones left from the litter and I really took to Houdini. There is so much conflicting advise around - I wish I'd known about this site b4 I bought my bunnies. I was told if I got 2 bunnies that hadnt grown up together, they'd be likely to fight and not get on with each other. They've got they're post op check up next week - another car journey they wont like, I am not going to be popular with them :roll:

Thanx Chris for the offer - those Lion head bunnies are funny little chaps! I guess I could ask the girl I bought them from, it's just I know she's quite busy at the moment. She's moving out of her parents home, organising her wedding and working full time +.

I'll see if Lamps will let me trim his hair. My boyfriend will have to hold him and hopfully he wont bite!! :D

Did you get them from a breeder or petshop? If u got them from a breeder maybe they would help you groom the worst knots out of its coat. This is what i did when Simba was bad.. a breeder helped me to groom the worst out and also she cut the really big knots out for me as i was also living on my own at the time.

Aww, well the post op check is a good chance to discuss it with your vet. They may be able to give you a hand with a few knots too.

As long as the fur is no shorter than a ormal rabbits and they have plenty of bedding then they should be okay outside. You might find his coat easier to look after by winter too as he'll have his proper adult coat and you'll have had plenty of time to practice.

As Lynda and Chris said you'll find a flea comb and pair of safety sissors good tools. Brushes are just too soft and won't get right down to the skin. Blowing gentle across the fur will part it so you can check for knots. Once the vet has clipped him once it will be easier for you to give him trims with the sissors.

Tam

Good point Tam.. hadnt thought about how old they are... Im guessing they are extra fluffy lionheads? or are they something else? Simba's fluff was really bad until he was about a year old.. he rarely gets knots anymore.. his fluff is much shinier, altho this could also be down to diet i guess.. who knows.

They are dwarf bunnies. Their dad is a short haird dwarf lop and the mum a short haired dwarf. The long hair must be from a rogue gene! The girl I bought them form hadnt intended to be a breeder! She's got several rabbits and 2 of them had got frisky together despite being separated :bunny:

The brush I got when I first brought Houdini and Lamps home was a waste of time! It was soft bristled and is more like a baby brush. no good at all. I've now got a plastic bristled brush that has the little round nobbles on the end of the bristles. I had bought a metal rabbit comb from the pet store (not used it yet) but the guy at the shelter said not to use it as they are too harsh?? I do think it would get thru the knots more easily than the brushes tho - should I give it a try? :?:

Mine is a cat flea comb. Just make sure the metal teeth on the comb are rounded and not pointy so that they are not sharp. I use it daily, sometimes twice daily on simba and nala and have never injured either of them. It teases out any loose fluff really easily and you will find the knots easy with them. If i find a bad one i put the comb behind the knot and trim the fur infront of the comb so that i know im nowhere near the skin.. just have to be careful not to 'tent' the skin tho.

It could be that you have a woollie and these can be very difficult to look after although I think all the advise on here is great.
I've added this bit so you can understand how these long haired rabbits come from short haired buns.

WOLLIES woollies are throwbacks: their short coated parents carried the recessive long-haired gene. Woollies are the most difficult long haired to care for. Keeping them free from mats is such a struggle that some experts feel they are best put down as soon as they are identified as babies.

:D thanks guys for all your advice. I've just taken them for their post op check in my dinner break. The vet said they are healing nicely from their op. The hormones must still be coursing thru tho coz they arent any less boisterous yet!! Vet said it can take a couple of weeks.

He wasnt much help on the hair front tho. Just said to be firm with lamps and dont let him think he's boss :roll: I'm going to try combing his hair when I get in from work today. Will let you know how I get on!

aawww good luck. The person that helped me with Simba said that too :wink: When im combing his back/sides i tend to put my hand over his head/ears as this sometimes help to keep him still.. his underneath is still hard to get to.. i reckon he's ticklish! But i put his head under my arm when i do his bottom which he will tolerate for a short time. Hope Lamp lets you groom him tonight.

Back