• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crust in ear?

I'm posting this on behalf of someone I know, needs some advice.

'my dad works on a farming establishment as part of a centre for adults with learning disabilities and they have a single rabbit left at the moment. i was handling her today and checking her over as some of the people working with her wouldn't notice anything the matter.

I noticed a crust in one of her ears, no scabs or anything and her other ear was perfectly normal but it was really crusty and i was just wondering what it could be. I asked my dad if he would remove it with luke warm salt water or something similar but I've never owned rabbits and I hoped someone on here could help me in case I'd got it totally wrong?He's not going to remove it unless he knows luke warm water with salt in would be suitable/it is treatable without veterinary or not?
thank you'

I hope you can help her, I was thinking possible ear mites, but I really don't know.

Love
Rachel xx

Yes sounds like ear mites to me.

A trip to the vet is in order to ge some special drops to kill them, I would not recommend trying to do DIY as it may damage the rabbits hearing and I'm sure it will not kill the mites as they are hardy and need special treatment or it will just come back.

Hope this helps

Maureen

Hi,

Yes i agree it sounds like mites and a trip to the vest would indeed be the best option.

Damo

Thank you. I have passed it on, and her dad is taking her to the vets tomorrow. Thanks to the both of you for being so helpful.

Love
Rachel xx

Back