• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick bonding question

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
I know bonding is covered over and over again but its just one of those topics!!!

I have all my buns inside (Squishie in her pen) and the other 3 are running around at the bottom of the stairs. There areas are about 3 meters apart but can see each other but not in constant view of each other.

Squishie knows they are there and see keeps running up and down the front of her pen. The others dont seem that bothered really.

Should I put Squishie in with them and see how it gets on?

Past meetings have been odd, Thora and Squishie seem ok (chance meeting after an escape) but when the 3 of them were next to Squishie in a pen Anna seemed to go a little crazy and they all started chasing each other around. Some fur flew (little nips more than anything) Whats the prognosis experts????

I am so intrigued to know what could happen but dont want to hurt any of them or ruin any already bonded relations

Only wy to tell is to put them together really. Remember neural teritory though!

Tam

Yeah thats what I thought. Its just a matter of taking the pludge I suppose.

Got to expect a bit of chasing and mounting? And any serious fights is the time to seperate.

I have a spray water bottle and a o/h on hand too

A towel to hand is also quite good for any serious fights just throw it iver newest bun

Good idea. If it was 1 vs 1 I think I would be ok but its the fact that its 3 vs 1 I am just not convinced that it will work...

Mmm the garden is a really good idea. I've bonded 4 on one before and the towel really does work or you could try a bit of tee-tree oil make them all smell the same and then try!

bunnylove said:
if they are indoor buns try bonding them in the garden!

what an excellent idea! I'm v tempted to try that. My new little girl is being neutered on Tuesday, will give it a few weeks and try her with Charlie bun again. They now both run around my whole flat (separately) so its now all both of their territories. Fingers crossed for decent weather.

Is it worth seeing how squishie gets on with just one of the trio initially? It might be less scary for her?

The kitchen is a neutral place, none of them have been in there so I think that will be my first choice but yes I agree the garden if good too. Its not totally bunny safe and I dont have a big enough run really for all 4 yet

We after dragging my boyf away from the pc for 2 mins I set up a cage in the kitchen. Brought in Squishie (the single one) and added Anna (as we thought she would be the trouble one) they sniffed and fought. Towel in and seperated. We let this happen 3 times and have split them again. Not a bad fight, flur flew a little but we pulled them apart before any damage could be done.

Can this be over come? Should I set the other 3 up and then add Squishie to them?

We have read that taking the ones that fight out on a car journey will take there mind off each other.

My hearts is beating so fast!

hi

I'd hate to have to do this - think I'll be a coward and stick to 2 bunnies!

The car journey thing only works if they're in a cat carrier together - they supposedly huddle up, united against the nasty car - I don't think you could fit 4 bunnies in a carrier! Maybe Anna and Squishie would fit, but they might have to sort the hierarchy out again once the other rabbits were with them anyway?

Can you bunny proof the kitchen and just let them (all 4) have a bit more space to sort out who's boss? Lots of food, piles of hay and interesting boxes and toys might distract them enough from each other - I would guess they are eyeball to eyeball in a cage, even on neutral territory?

Good luck - vetzyme antibacterial powder is good if anyone draws blood :shock:

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

Oh wonderbunn :(

As elve says could you try giving them a bit more space and lots of things to distract them?

I really hope that you can get them to go together, Is anna top bunny out of the tree?

I would expect their to be some scrabbling and mounting. You'll probably find the existing trio do this amoungst each other aswell as with squishy as everyone has to reorganise and work out who goes where in the heirachy.

What sort of fighting was it, all out I'm gonna kill you and eat you for breakfast or just chasing and a little fur pulling? If its the later then try as much as possible to let them sort it out only step in if it looks like their going to injure each other.

Tam

I may try it again in a bigger space. It would probably be better to start off with all 4 in the pen. We didnt even have chance last night Anna and Squishie wet straight to it.

It wasnt chasing, it was head on head fighting. I have seen the 3 that are bonded sometimes chase and nip each other but nothing like this. Looked quite fierce. Was hoping for something a little less than bunny fight club!!!!

Squishie is not spayed so I may put the whole thing off till she has been done ( in a couple of months) as the trio are all done.

Its hard to tell if Anna is top bun, they all seem quite equal. I guess if I had to pick one it would be her.

hi

If she's not spayed I guess that's what's bothering Anna - she's more of a challenge to Anna's 'rule' if she's entire....and you might need to keep Squishie seperate for a month after her spay anyway?

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

yeah I am thinking it wont harm the situation to spay her and there is no rush to bond them all.

Will give them time to forget there little misunderstanding too

Back