• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First Aid kit

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
After all the recent poorly bunnies i thought it was time i was prepared. What kind of things do i need to have and where can i get them from? Just want to be a better bunny mummy should anything happen to my little fella :oops:

well im keeping infacol in my cupboard now.. luckily its got about 18months life on it. What else.. hmmm.. I think theres is a sticky topic at the top on first aid kits.. if not there is definitely a topic we did before with a list of stuff on it. Will have a look for u

which things do u want to know about?
Infacol is to help when your rabbit has trapped wind as in Bloat - can buy from local supermarket/chemist.
Probiotics are good when your rabbit is ill or stressed - there is an on line shop u can get them from.. otherwise i think its your vet.

I know about the infacol - my niece had really bad colic as a baby :lol: Diddeen - you said this had an 18 month shelf life - is this from opening :?:

Yeah its things like the probiotic Supreme Recovery Critical Care and kitty malt.

Is there anything else i should have :?:

The thing is im going away in May for a week and leaving Mikey with my Mum and Dad. Just want to be prepared with a list of things to do

Mikeymoo said:
Yeah its things like the probiotic Supreme Recovery Critical Care and kitty malt.

Probiotic is usually added to the water or sprinkled over food, it is like probiotic yoghurt for humans and introduces "friendly bacteria" into the rabbit's gut. It is good for sick animals and those prone to stasis.

Supreme recovery is a high fibre recovery food for rabbits who haven't eaten due to stasis etc

Crtical care is for collapsed rabbits and is full of electrolytes

You can buy the above products: http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/ and info: http://www.vetark.co.uk/smallmamprods.html

Kittymalt I belive breaks down hairballs in kittens (get original flavour)

Caz

Mikeymoo.. i just meant the use by date is 18months away.. cant see anything that says after opening life so i guess its ok up until the use by date.
Kittymalt u can get from petshops.. smells a bit like marmite so i dont blame simba for hating me when i make him have some.. its really gloopy stuff and as Caz says helps to prevent hairballs when they are moulting.

I have bought a few things form Ross Rabbits. They had quite a lot of the things on my list and they werent too expensive :D
Just have to get the infacol now

I have bought a few things form Ross Rabbits. They had quite a lot of the things on my list and they werent too expensive :D
Just have to get the infacol now

i have also got eye and ear wipes just for those odd times i need to clean eyes or ears if something gets lodged

I have ear mite drops and blood stop powder in my cupbourd amongst other things, which reminds me i must stock up!

Back