• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More than one bun

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just a question really, most people on here have more than one house bun, some bonded some not, just wondering what the set ups are? Eg are they kept in cages, seperate rooms, do they all play/run around together???? etc etc

Just wondering as my bun Elvis runs around the hall all day so we have a spare cage that isnt used, im thinking of getting another bun but i want a boy.......

I've four living downstairs and two living up, i've a baby gate on the stairs to seperate them.

Hi Sweetie, my two are also free range but it took 2 weeks to bond them so that they could be left alone together, without use of a cage. To start with I had Oli in a cage in the hallway (Sylvia loved that!) and then with gradual 'meetings' they became friends. Now they are inseperable :love:

Is Elvis a boy? because I was told it can be hard to bond two boys - you might be better with a girl if you want to bond them? just a thought :)

Hi,

we have two who run free around the house all day (except for 2 rooms upstairs).

One originally lived in the garage, then we brought him in the house. We then got him a rescue bunny (female) to pal up with.

We had to isolate them in a neutral room for a week, then we let them in. They're fine and don't fight (both neutered). He does chase her occasionally (not sure if he's playing), he also gets very jealous if we stroke her - but he loves her really, always giving lots of groomings (although she does go up to him and demand them).

Good luck!

My two pairs are seperated by stairs - we have wooden stairs and neither set can use them so no fear of them meeting up ;). The upstairs pair are also shut in their pen during the day as they are a bit destructive.

Did you want to get two bunnies but keep them seperate then? or are you planning on bonding them?

Caz

Ideally id love to have them bonded but if i do decide to go ahead with getting a new bun i want to take them somewhere to have them bonded, i dont think id be able to do it myself!!

I know a m/f combo is the best but id love two little boys!!!

Probably best to take your bunny to rescues and introduce him to several different male bunnies on neutral territory - I should think that is the easiest way of making sure there is a chance they get on.

I have also heard that it may be easier if the new boy is quite young and neutered before starting to show sexual tendencies.

I am sure someone will come along who has bonded males before with some advice.

Caz

I've got two boys who get on ok, trying to make a trio, but the doe bonded to one of the bucks doesn't like the other. It is harder but not impossible depending on the personalities. Mine are in very big cages in one big room which they take shifts sharing because it's completely bunnyproofed, I have cats which is probably the main reason I don't just have them all free ranging in different parts of the house, but if they're out in the rest of the place I need to be supervising anyway.

I've got a bonded trio, two bonded pairs and a single.

If you have 2 boys, I found getting them to bond quite tricky at first. They kept urinating on each other. But this is just their way of working out who is alpha male.

I kept introducing mine for 1 hour at a time, and then gradually building up the time they spent together.

With a trio of rabbits I found that letting the alpha male be introduced first and spending the most time with my new female, then I started to introduce the junior male, at first he tried chasing her, but then when she hide behind her man he started to leave her alone.

In fact before Duke died they would spend ages in a circle grooming each other and plotting how to make me chase after them when it was time for bed :lol: .

Mad_cat_rabbit said:
In fact before Duke died they would spend ages in a circle grooming each other and plotting how to make me chase after them when it was time for bed :lol: .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sweetie said:
Ideally id love to have them bonded but if i do decide to go ahead with getting a new bun i want to take them somewhere to have them bonded, i dont think id be able to do it myself!!

I know a m/f combo is the best but id love two little boys!!!

Hey Sweetie, it can be quite stressful bonding them yourself, but it's also very rewarding when you finally see them going up to each other and start to groom each other. I nearly cried when I first saw my two groom each other!

It started off with Sylvia being very dominant, but as time has gone on their relationship has evened out a lot and now Oli seems to look after Sylvia as much as she looks after him, and grooming and demanding of grooming is done equally by both parties. It is the most satisfying thing for me, even if it's made it harder for me to make friends with Oli (he is very shy) - I just love to watch them together, it's the best thing in the world!

I think two boys will be ok if you let your existing bunny pick his new friend, perhaps from a rescue. Good luck, b-m :)

Back