• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy Eyes

Well eye problems can be for a variety of reasons, one of them is because of teeth problems which obv can be caused by buns not eating enough hay! Princess had a weepy eye and we had eye drops for it and it cleared up quickly but I was worried it wasn't just an eye infection because she doesn't eat much hay at all!!

If you are worried it is his teeth I would go to the vets and have a chat. I know Caz had lots of problems with Zeus' eye so she is probably a good person to talk to :)

Nicola

As far as I know, weepy eyes can mean they are having problems with their teeth and definately not eating enough hay can cause problems with teeth! I would take Thumps to your vet asap and get it checked out.

Good luck honey xxxx

Ive taken him 3 times about it and just give me drops for his eyes, it clears up a bit, but is still weepy. :( Do you think i should just give him hay so he has to eat it? lol

Yeah I would cut down any other foods and get him to eat more hay. Have they looked at his teeth at all? If you aren't happy with your vets then I would go somewhere else. It does sound as though it could be more than an eye infection so I would persevere and pester your vet into looking a bit deeper!!

Nicola

My Marley has a deformed eye and can weep a lot, could there be a problem that he was born with?

Toby has had weepy eyes for the past year or so….and like your bun he has been to the vets a few times about it. Toby’s teeth are a bit wonky but they can’t do much about it due to his age. But apart from that nothing is wrong with him.

What do you use for your rabbits bedding? I know dust can be a cause for weepy eyes. Try changing his bedding and cleaning his eye(s) more. Shredded paper is good.

ahhh maybe he just permanently cries cos he wants to be naughty all the time and has ran out of things to do! :shock: :lol:

sorry - hope you get to the bottom of Thumper's eye problem :D

Nic, two of my buns have weepy eyes i've had them to my new vets (who was excellant) Lilly was born with a deformed tear duct which doesn't empty properly and no she has an infection so she has drops!!!! And lavender has the same thing but no infection, We just clean them weakly but beacuase of the tear duct they can get very weepy!!

Emma, he used to have saw dust but stopping putting it in coz his eyes was weepy. now hes got lil cardboard squares, but hes never in his cage, just does the toilet in there.

Zeus' weepy eye problems were initially caused by tooth root problems but even after clearing the infection up his eye still weeps a bit in the sun. I think this is because his eye is slightly sunken from the infection so the eyelid has a kink in it and occasionally curls a bit and rubs on the eye.

His eyes were badly weepy though and the infection got worse even after using the drops till his eyelid curled under, so I don't think Thumper's sounds too serious.

If it doesn't clear up with the drops after 3 weeks then it may be a deeper tooth problem that only an x-ray can spot, or a physical problem with the eye causing excess tearing but only a vet can rule that out, so you should pop back for a check up in a couple of weeks.

With Zeus I have cut back on the pellets to increase hay consumption initially to protect against stasis as he was on penicillin (injected) but I have kept it up as it will help keep the rest of his teeth healthy and create a more natural chewing motion that should lessen the growth of his molar roots (according to a brief excerpt from an article I found).

Caz

Id like Toby to have an X ray (if there is any point) would they do this for an older bun? My vet has never mentioned it :? .

There were other symptoms of an infection in the tooth root too, Zeus had scoring in the front teeth that is why my vet did the x-ray on Zeus after Baytril and the drops didn't help clear up the weeping. Usually in healthy rabbits their front teeth grow through smooth (at the top near the gums is the best place to check) but Zeus' had deep scores in them - a clear indication of infection.

I think an x-ray is only necessary when the tearing eye problem becomes serious and only a good rabbit knowledgeable vet can make the distinction.

Caz

Back