• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnant bunny advice.

Hi Everybody.

My youngest rabbit, Fawn, is pregnant. (we think)
Here she is......

fawn1.jpg

It was a very silly accident. (long and horrible story)
However, It has been nothing but problems so far.

PLEASE HELP!

She has made a nest, days after conception, fur lined etc.
so I can't clean her out!

She is now 2weeks gone, but last week, she escaped from her pen
and ate a whole rhubarb leaf, and started on the stalk!
We took her to the vet, who told us she could probably very ill.
(Didn't seen to affect her!)

Sometimes when I go to pick her up she crys like a baby (yes really!)

I've had a rabbit pregnancy before, but fawn is totally different.

ANY ADVICE?

what do you mean cry like a baby, maybe the rubarb has done some damage and you need to get her back to the vets!

Crying

When I go to pick her up, she struggles, runs off and crys and whines.
I thought it might be because I was near her nest, but I've never heard a rabbit make that noise. It like a cross between a small dog and a baby!
funny but worrying!

Re: Crying

hutchley_eats_hamsters said:
When I go to pick her up, she struggles, runs off and crys and whines.
I thought it might be because I was near her nest, but I've never heard a rabbit make that noise. It like a cross between a small dog and a baby!
funny but worrying!

grunting maybe?

I hope she is okay. Like the others say take her to the vet and get her checked out. Keep a close eye on her, is she eating, drinking, pooping etc? Once again I hope she is okay, I am praying for her!

soem bunnies nakw nest early, but once her labour is iminent she will make a bigger and more effecfient one.

there is no way of telling how many she will have it depends on a number of things, ie... how old she is, how health she is, what size she is things like that they adverage betwwn 4-8 but can sometimes be less and some times more, mine had 6!

Nests

Her nest is massive. She's even got fur up the walls!

She used to have a weight problem, but I have been letting her out round the garden and she lost quite alot.

Should I still let her out?
She has a big pen attached to her hutch, but I have noticed she when I
let her out in the garden she had dug a "burrow" behind some old fencing boards and spends most of her time kipping there, although she does periodically check that noones messing with her nest.

yer you can let her out no problem, just make sure around the 28th day you start to restrict her free range movemnents and maybe just ket her in a run, you dont want her to have the litter down a whole she has dug!

To be honest I've not heard of a doe making a nest the day after mating...if they do they usually don't have anything.

How far along would she be now?

Rachel

I was wondering if it could be false.
She has made "bits of nests" before
You can tell she's wanted young for ages,
Infact she let the male in, by pushing the side out of her pen.

That was the 21st of March.
That means she's about 2 weeks.

I've had a feel and there is definitely 2 kits.
They are about the size of a large grape/marble.
They move about too. (ie they are not always in the same place when
you feel her tummy)

Ahh this is so scary!

Anybody with tips and advice please post!

Oooh honey, good luck! I've no experience with this so no advice sorry. Just wishing you all the best bunny luck xxxx

Nest-making at only 2 weeks is usually an indication of false pregnancy.
Nest-making at 4 weeks however, means the real thing.

I also would not advise placing a possibly-pregnant rabbit in a run from around 2-3 weeks because is she gets caught short & litters in the run, the babies could die quickly due to a draught/hypothermia without their nest to protect them.

Nest making is quite normal at this time of the year too for unspeyed buns. Mine made one and there was no way she could be pregnant.

Back