• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introductions.

Joob-joobs

Mama Doe
My bunny has just been neutered, I've been advised to wait 8 weeks before introducing him to a girl bunny. My local rescue centre has loads of bunnies at the moment. What advice do you have on getting a girl bunny sooner but just letting Joey get to know her through her cage bars and letting her out in another part of the house when Joe is in his cage? Would this cause any problems with going on to introduce them in the same room? Has anyone tried this before?

If the girl is spayed already, you could introduce them a lot sooner than 8 weeks. I'd still wait at least a couple of weeks for his hormones to calm a bit first though. He'll still be very excitable, and likely to spray and forget any litter training if a girly comes along while he's still full of the joys of spring.

Hi,

Are you going to have the new female neutered as well? If you are then if it was me I would have this done first before you put them together. It all takes time and females can take a lot longer to recover, 4 days before they are back to normal and the you have to wait for stitches to be taken out etc etc.
Then you can introduce them through the bars of their cages SIDE BY SIDE I would exercise her away from him as you said and then eventuallly introduce them on nutural territory.

It can take a while so 8 weeks will go like a flash, also the rescue might want to do a home visit which will take time.

The vet is only concerned about unwanted bunnies and a lot of them don't have a clue about bonding.

If the rescue will do the intros for you that would be wonderful and then you can see if he is likely to get on with one female rather than another but it is in my experience this is not always possible. Maybe try and find one that will help.

Good luck and wishing you well

Maureen

Thanks for the advice. Think I might try and go along to the rescue centre next weekend and have a look. I'd be looking to get a female that's already been neutered or I'd get her done asap.

Was hoping that the centre might help with the intros but they don't advise taking my bunny along, they say it'll stress him too much.

Joob-joobs said:
Was hoping that the centre might help with the intros but they don't advise taking my bunny along, they say it'll stress him too much.

Hmm is there another more bunny saavy rescue you can try?

Nearly every rescue I spoke to in my area were more than happy for me to take Zeus for speed dating when I was looking for a girly.

It didn't stress Zeus out as the staff where on hand to help me break things up if it turned out they didn't get on and they all had neutral territory for me to try Zeus with other rabbits.

Caz

I'd agree with Caz it is soooo much easier knowing if the bunnies love each other on sight rather than having to go through weeks of getting two who don't like each other very much to fall for each other.
If you can't find anywhere else though then I hope you get lucky and pick the perfect choice for Joe :D

Certainly the car journey to the rescue centre will be stressful, but not nearly so stressful as some bird showing up on his patch, chinning all his stuff, weeing in his litter tray and eating all his food. It's always worthwhile taking your bunny along for a playdate. It really does make things go a lot more smoothly. We took Monopoly along to a rescue to meet boys. She was a bit stressed by the journey, but it was love at first sight with Sheffield and they were able to travel home together in the same carry case and go straight into living together with no problems whatsoever. Never had to separate them and they've never fought. After my previous experiences in bonding angry bunnies, it was stunning to see what a difference it makes to take bunny along when you're choosing.

There's two centres near me, I called them both and they both said they wouldn't suggest speed dating. I think I'd much prefer that tho, it's a big responsibility to choose one and try and get an arranged marriage to go smoothly!

Has anyone had good experiences with dating rabbits at a Scottish rescue centre? I might be able to travel a bit further afield.

ooh maybe u need to have a word with bunnyhugger.. she's in scotland but i dont know if she has any rabbits needing rehoming at the moment.

Back