• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering and afterwards....

Joob-joobs

Mama Doe
My bun Joey is at the vet getting neutered at the moment. I'm looking to get him a wee rescue girlfriend quite soon. Does anyone have any advice on how long I need to wait after he's been neautered before it's safe to introduce him to a wee girl bunny? Or any tips on looking after him when I bring him home from the vets. At the moment he's got a big cage but usually has the run of the flat. Would you suggest keeping him closed in his cage until he's feeling better? Any other tips? I've got a few treat and some brocolli for him in case he's in the huff with me! Poor wee thing.

About two weeks wait should do it until you get him a girlfriend, when they come home (i've found with mine) that there a little groggy but after the aneasthetic wares off there usually ok to run around!

As long as the girl is neutered they can go together straight away,if shes not you would have to wait 6 weeks as males stay fertile for up to 6 weeks after the op
Id keep him in his cage tonight then just keep an eye on him you dont want him running around to much he could end up pulling his stiches
expect him to be fairly quite tonight just try to get him to eat and have a drink

I thought I had read somewhere that it was about 6 weeks, wasn't quite sure though.

What's everyone's experience with getting a bunny from a rescue centre? The ones near me don't recommend bringing my Joey along to pick out a girlfriend, how can I be sure that I'm picking one that he'll get on with? Also, they say that they've got loads of baby ones, how do you think baby bunnies and 2 yr old bunnies would get on? I think I'd prefer one that's a similar age. Anyone got any suggestions?

It's always a game of hit and miss if the rabbits don't know each other first. My best and easiest bondings have been with rabbits of roughly the same age, but personality comes into it a lot. Being matchmaker before they've met and picking out a hopefully compatible girlie rabbit is quite tricky. Why do your rescue centre not like them meeting beforehand?

Generally though even if it takes longer the chances are you can bond him to whoever you get :D .

They said that it'll stress out my rabbit and 5 or 10 minutes isn't enough time to see if they'll get on anyway. I've never done it before so I'm really not sure what's the best way to go about it.

My vet said I should wait 8 weeks before introducing him to a wee girl rabbit.

I've got him home from the vets now.... he looks so sad, he's just lying there and I feel like I have to keep checking that he is still breathing. Hope he never has to go in for another op again!

Joob-joobs said:
They said that it'll stress out my rabbit and 5 or 10 minutes isn't enough time to see if they'll get on anyway. I've never done it before so I'm really not sure what's the best way to go about it.

My vet said I should wait 8 weeks before introducing him to a wee girl rabbit.

I've got him home from the vets now.... he looks so sad, he's just lying there and I feel like I have to keep checking that he is still breathing. Hope he never has to go in for another op again!

I'm sure he'll be back to his cheeky self soon. Sending him a big snuggle :D

Phill said:
6 weeks
as males stay fertile for up to 6 weeks after the op

That just shows how rubbish my old vet was he told me 2 weeks!!!!

That reminds me of something that happened with 3 jill ferrets I had some years ago, the breeder I bought them from had a vasectomized hob to mate all his in season jills( for non- ferrety people out there-when a jill ferret comes into heat she reamains in heat for a long time and it is very debilitating for her,they need to be spayed or mated by a hob who's had the snip.) but the hob had died, he'd taken another young hob to the vets and had him vasectomized and the vet said not to mate him for 2 weeks to make sure any sperm were dead, I sent my 3 jills to him 3 weeks later and they came back all smug and happy but lo and behold a few weeks later I awoke one morning to 3 litters of baby ferrets, 31 babies in all :shock:

Back