• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poo

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi All,

My bun occasionally has squidgy poo. Is this normal or is it caused by a tummy upset?

Thanks

:bunny:

Hi

These poos are probably excess caecotrophs - these are the poos we don't normally see as the rabbit normally takes them straight from their bottom and eats them. It is all part of their digestive process and nothing to worry about!!

Normally it is because the bun is getting too rich a diet that we see these poos, for example if I give Amy my bun too much dry food I will see excess ceacotrophs with her.

As long as there is no runny poo, diarrhea or bun looks ill, then everything is normal :)

Nicola

Thanks Folks,

was a bit worried as id never seen them before, maybe reduce his dried food and increase his hay! Not that he doesnt have enough already!! Greedy so and so!

The webiste was very useful, thank you, didnt expect photos though!!! :lol:

yep mine had excess Caestrophs so I cut his mix food out and just give him SS and Hay now and he is great now :D

I usually feed him unlimited hay along with with a dry mix from Wilsons, my local pet shop. He has Burgess super excel aswell. Shall i cut out the dry mix completely and concentrate on the hay and the Burgess food?

If so which Burgess food is best? Hes a mini lop so has the 'supa rabbit excel junior and dwarf'. Is this ok or should i give him either the 'supa rabbit excel' or the 'supa rabbit excel lite'???

I dont want to under/over feed so any help is appreciated!

His teeth are slightly out of line but the vet said yesterday that as long as he has plenty of fibre then he`ll be fine. Cant imagine theres much fibre in the mix from the pet shop......i might be wrong though!

If he's an adult rabbit, the normal Excel be ok. but change it over gradually, and also cut out the other dry mix you feed gradually too. They've just upped the fibre content of Excel, so its even better now (what I feed my bun), but a lot of people on here recommend "Science Selective" which is also higher in fibre.

oh gees....got quite a bit of dry food left from the pet shop....might just bin it if its not doing him any good. The supa excel one lasts for ages!!!

Hes 7mths old, when are they classed as being 'adult'?

Sweetie, most buns grow rapidly up to about 7 months then fill out after that until about a year old. Personally I would continue to feed him the pellets for another 3 months or so as he may still be growing, in which case he needs lots of nutrients etc. Oli tends to get sticky poos but Sylvia has always been underweight so I am slightly loath to cut the pellets complete out of their diet. Also I weigh the food twice a day and feed under the recommended amount but Oli still gets sticky poos. Eventually I will probably cut out the pellets but Sylvia is still only just under a year, and really needs to bulk out a bit (I also feed them tonnes of hay and veggies) b-m

lol, I am liking the title of this topic :lol: .

I agree it is probably caecotrophs – they will either eat them or tred in them :roll: :lol:

oh gees....got quite a bit of dry food left from the pet shop....might just bin it if its not doing him any good. The supa excel one lasts for ages!!!

How long have you had it? One thing to watch out for as far as pellet diets is that certain vitamins only have a 30-60 day shelf life. As a rule of thumb, I usually only buy enough food at a time to last me 30 days. Afterwards you generally lose a lot of the antioxidant-type vitamins in the diet and it's not properly balanced for your bun's nutritional needs anyhow.

Of course, it's dependent on a lot of other things, such as how long your pet store keeps food on its shelves before you actually buy it, and whether you're feeding him other foods that fulfill his Vitamin A, E, etc. needs anyway.

mine had excess caecotrophs(?sp) when he was on burgess excel so i changed him onto science selective and they have disappeared! :D
I believe the shelf life of food is stamped onto bags of most rabbit pellets. I open the bag and pour it into an airtight container to help it stay fresh.

Im new to all this, only had my bun since just after christmas so i apologise if i ask silly questions!!!

Ive never heard of Science Selective, is there a particular kind? eg for junior and dwarf, adult rabbits etc etc.......

I suppose i gradually introduce the SS into his diet dont i?

Hi, don't worry about asking questions!!

You need to gradually introduce any new food you choose.

you can get a list of stockists for ss from here http://www.russelrabbit.com/ you used to be able to get a free sample as well.
You can also order it from pet planet.

Thanks for the link, just had a look (the boss isnt in today so I have free run of the internet!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

It says that SS is for picky eaters, Elvis (my bun) isnt really picky so will he be alright with it? He loves the dry mix hes on at the moment so im worried that he might not like SS.

I tried him with it a few weeks back, we have a rescue bun who was fed it. He wasnt impressed :? !! But that may have been because he`d still got his normal mix there aswell.......

I just dont want him to go hungry!!!

Don't worry he won't go hungry. Most seem to prefer the taste of the pellets over the mixes and it isn't necessarily for just fussy eaters (my four are gluttonous and love their Excel) but to make sure all the nutrients are in every mouthful so that they never miss out because they may avoid one component of a mix.

If they don't seem to be eating as much they will just increase their hay intake to compensate then as the proportions are increasing with more SS than mix you will find they will eat the SS and then when the mix is gone completely they won't have noticed and they won't get upset tummys.

Caz

Back