• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP IM SO WORRIED!!!

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
Please help i need everyone opinions. :cry:

I am so worried i have just booked my girly bunny into be spayed on Friday and they said that they do not give pain killers after the surgrey as they give an injection of pain killers called Rimmadel (sorry i dont know how to spell this!).

Do you think this is right? It should last for 24/48 hours?????

Please tell me what to expect.. Please tell me anything you know im so worried i love my little bunny... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks so much for all your help guys you are great..

Love

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My vets never gave my girlies pain killers and they were very quiet for a few days, but bounced back fine.

Hiya,

Yes, thats okay. Usually vets give a pain killing injection which lasts 24 hours or so. After that you can give metacam which is taken orally. Try discussing it with your vet.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Hiya,

Yes, thats okay. Usually vets give a pain killing injection which lasts 24 hours or so. After that you can give metacam which is taken orally. Try discussing it with your vet.

Tam

I spoke with them and they said she would only get painkillers if she needed them.. Still im so worried!!!!

Thanks

Mizzmarnni
XXXXXXXXXXXXx

If you not happy with what your vet is telling you then use another vet. You need to have confidence in your vet especially for something like a neuter.

Tam

Mizzmarni said:
Tamsin said:
Hiya,

Tam

I spoke with them and they said she would only get painkillers if she needed them.. Still im so worried!!!!

Thanks

Mizzmarnni
XXXXXXXXXXXXx

one of the reasons they dont give pain killers after is because as tamsin said they injection they give while operating is long lasting and they need the rabbit to be aware of a little discomfort so he doesnt bounse around and hurt herself because she feels ok!! she will be fine

eve x

When miffy was spayed they gave her a 24 hour lasting pain killer injection(metacam)
They didnt give me any to take home,but i did have some already she was looking a bit uncomfortable in the morning so i gave her 2 drops but thats all she needed and then she was fine :)

Hello, Sylvia didn't have oral pain killers and she was fine after a day, and pretty much back to normal after a couple of days. I was worried that she might pull her stitches but the vet said it rarely happens and she was absolutely fine. I did, however, give her antibiotics for 5 days after the op - not sure if this is normal (??) and I know that antibiotics are not generally recommended for preventative measures in bunnies due to stomach upsets, but I'm not sure what antibiotics they were and she was fine. It certainly stopped her from getting any nasty infections. I had to drop them onto a small piece of Ryvita as it was the only way to get her to eat it :wink:

Thora has just been speyed and she didnt have any pain killers afterwards (once she had left the vets) and was more than fine. Just expect them to be quite quiet and subdued for a day or 2 afterwards. Make sure she drinks and eats and is toileting fine.

Heya,

We don't give painkillers at the practice after speys either, because, as the vet said, we give a long-lasting injection during/right after the operation. This painkiller lasts between 24-48 hours, and is all the bun needs, really. We don't give metacam or anything as it's really not needed. My girlies were speyed, given their injections, and were right as rain the day after!

However, as has been mentioned, if you don't like the fact that they're not explaining these things to you (if the receptionist who answers the phone does not know, she _should_ pass you on to a nurse, who will be able to explain these things to you), you have every right to see a new vet.

Back