• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fluff in Eyes

Toby

Banned
How badly can it damage rabbit’s eyes? :?: I have lately seen a strand of fur in Toby’s eye(s) because of his heavy moult. I try to get it out but his not very helpful – I don’t think he could close his eye any tighter :roll: . I know rabbits don’t have much protection of there eyes but does it hurt them like it hurts us? I had fur in my eyes as well….and it HURTS! :cry:

Id guess it would come out eventually.. simba and nala get fur in their eyes but its normally attached to their face so i just pull on the fur and the gooey bit comes out of their eye. You could try bathing his eye maybe that would help it come out?

Have you tried?

I know this might seem cruel (and a bit manky) but try getting out with a cotton wool bud (you know the thing you use to clean your ears out with).

rub it very gently over their eyeball very gently towards the pink bit (how scientific!) and it should do the trick..

Hope this helps

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Is the eye weeping or red (as if irritated)? ....... if not he maybe it's okay ....... eyes usually try to clean themselves by coating the foreign body in mucus, and eliminating it without irritation.

I used to use a bunny approved sterile eye wash from the vet to rinse out my buns' eyes, but maybe water is okay ......... I usually gave them something tasty and sneaked up on them with a make-up removing disc (softer than buds and doesn't lose fibre like cotton wool) soaked in this solution ........I squeezed the stuff out, wiping gently at the same time, didn't even have to touch them ............ the procedure was usually over before they realised what happened!!! :lol:

Emma

One of my buns lilly has a weepy eye at the moment, nothing wrong with it she just got something init!! i just washed it out with very tepid water and a peice of kitchen towel, and then put a little dab of vaseline on it to stop whatever it was irritating futher until it came out, she's fine now.

They are still a bit runny (not because of fluff) but not as bad. He has been to the vets a few times about it but the very said his fine. However they won't flush his teeth because he might not survive the op. However his healthy...but i don't think id risk the op :?

Tree said:
Lick it,

:lol: just kidding
You are kidding Tree, but that is actually the best way to get a foreign body out of an eyeball !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all know you have the taste for eyelids ! But in this case I think you might get away with it :D.

Back