• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I help my bun become more relaxed and trusting?

Milo

Young Bun
:!: Ok I guess I had better write a BG on him before anything else....

Alright, I got my rabbit (Milo) last friday(not too long ago). He was found very young outside down by canal park (some idiot released some rabbits down there and they have multiplied out of control!). The child that found him gave the young bun to her science teacher (my old science teacher BTW) to take care of. He has lived in that classroom for about a year. And as you can imagine there is constantly kids running around and fooling with him all day long. He lived in a very small cage with nothing in it except food and water. So he had no place to hide and take cover from the swarming of kids. The teacher recently decided that he didn't want to take care of the rabbit any longer, and was trying to find someone that would take him.

I was searching for the right rabbit for quite some time. I heard about him and decided that he needed me to take care of him. So I ended up taking him (after lots of thought). He was of course pretty nervous and not used to the amount of space he had and place to hide. He has since calmed down a bit but doesn't seem to really trust me (can't blame him though) and is always on the ready to run. I know this takes time, but is there any way that I could help him become more relaxed and not to fear me? :?:

SORRY for the LONG post! I hope it didn't burn your eyes out! Any advice would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! I'm not a rabbit expert, so anyone that has experience with rabbits would be lots of help. Thanks in advance!

He needs to get used to you and trust you. I've always found the easiest way to get a bunny to like (or tolerate) you is to get them associating you with food. You don't want to overfeed them, or have them always expecting food from you, but if everytime you feed him his hay, or change his water, or bring his dinner you sit for a while and just talk to him he'll connect you with the arrival of food. Don't try and stroke him while you're sitting there, just get comfy and stay still. If he comes over for a sniff, let him have a nose about but still don't stroke him. It's easiest if you take in a book and read out loud to him. Bunnies are very nosy so it won't take long for him to start wondering what you are.

Once you've got him coming over to sniff you you can try feeding him from your hand to get him to stick around for a bit longer. Take in a bit of carrot or some fruit, something really tasty so he associates the best snacks with hanging out with you.

Once he's more insistent in his investigations of you, you can start stroking him. You'll know when he's braver because he'll come over to you more quickly and won't look as though he's about to run off into the corner for a heart attack. If he nudges you with his nose you could try giving him a head tickle.

When a bunny knows it's you that's bringing dinner they run over to see you whenever you walk in the room. I know it's only cupboard love, but it's good enough for me.

When I first got Jack he was not very friendly to me, and certainly didn't trust me. I got him from a girl who had bought him in a garden centre on impulse and had decided she didn't want to keep him a few months later.

Initially, he was even quite aggressive towards me, he'd sometimes box me and nip me. The vet thought it might be as he hadn't been neutered, but at that time he was unable to go through with the operation because of health reasons. He often seemed scared, especially when new people came in the room. This is what I did to get him to trust me and to calm him down.

I persevered with Jack, made sure he had a regular routine, so he always went back in his cage at meal times, as he was vicious if you tried to put him back in yourself. I spent as much time with him as I could so he would get used to me, and talked to him as well. I was on exam leave when I first got him so had plenty time to spend with him!

I never tried to pick him up unless I had to, as he would be quite aggresive if you did, but you could tell he was terrified. When he was aggresive I sprayed him with water and told him "no", to try to get him out of the habit. When I put him back down after picking him up I gave him a piece of food so he knew his ordeal was over.

I made sure when I was in the room with him that I always had food nearby, so if he approached me I would give him a piece of fruit or carrot, or even just a bit of hay.

I always waited for him to approach me, rather than me approaching him. I used to sit on the floor reading a book or newspaper, he ignored me at first and looked like he was going to run everytime I looked at him, but he approached me eventually.

I kept him confined to one room to begin with, so he had time to explore and get used to his new space. The girl gave me a cage with him so he already knew that was his own territory, but if you've put him in a new cage it might be a good idea to leave him in there for a couple of days so he understands that is his own space, and somewhere he can be safe. That way if he feels he needs to run away from you he has somewhere of his own to go to and feel secure.

I also groomed him every day, and still do, which he always seemed to enjoy even when he didn't like me much in the beginning!

After a few weeks he began to be much calmer, and less aggressive. He stopped boxing me and nipping me. He would jump on the sofa to sit with us, and he started trying to lick me when I groomed him.

Now, one year after I got him, he isn't shy or aggressive (he's also just been neutered, which calmed him down even more), hes happy to approach me and even sits on my knee sometimes. I still have some problems picking him up, but now he's just wriggly rather than aggressive!

Sorry I've gone on a bit...

Basically, just be patient with your new bun, let him approach you in his own time, make sure he has a space which 'belongs' to him where he can feel safe, and use food as a bribe to get him to trust you :D.

Good luck!

Must rabbits are ready to run, its what nature has taught them, run or be eaten.

Lying on the floor is a great way to get a rabbit to come to you, they no longer see you as a threat and just want to be nosey. Time is the greatest gift you can give a rabbit. So stick with.

Sounds like he has a loving home now and I'm sure he'll calm down, if might just take a while.

Betty

Awwwwww - I'm glad you've taken this little bunster - I would think just the deafening noise from the classroom would be enough to make this little boy run for cover for a year or so.

There's some great advice here already for you but I think time and patience is going to be the key. I'd work as much from the ground as you can initially to build the trust and maybe worth just giving him a settleing in time so he can get used to his new surroundings.

Good luck and keep us posted it would be great to hear how your doing with him.

Milo, I think what you've done is wonderful. I've seen too many classroom pets, and they always make me cry, because they're obviously so miserable. Thank you, on your bunny's behalf, for making his life worth living.

*applauds*

Everyone's given you excellent advice, and I've nothing to add, I just wanted to say thank you for making this bun's life so much better...

wow, thank you all so much!

All of the advice that you have given me is a huge and wonderful help! I really appreciate that you would put in the time to write all that you did. I made the mistake before of being impatient and not giving time. I have learned that that's the worst thing that I can do. I will take everythin that you have all told me and do my very best to help my bun feel at home. THANK YOU ALL!!

Oooh and your welcome! I felt as though he needed me. And after I heard that some kid was poking him with a pencil I dove off the deep end and knew that I needed to take him home. To a place where he could rest without the constant noise of kids. I'm so glad that you approve of my actions :D

Thank you all again and have a happy easter!!

ooh yes

Forgot to add this. I would be more then happy to keep you up to date. I'm glad that you care :D

Not to mention you all have very beautiful rabbits!! They all look so happy. I would post some pictures of milo put i don't have any developed/a web cam. He is still quite new.

I'm so happy that i found this place, everyone here is so awesome.

w00tness

Alrighty. I have made some progress with milo. He doesn't have any problem with taking food from my hands. I have stuck with your advice about letting him come to me, and when he sniffs my hand or whatnot I give him some lettuce. It has really been coming along quite well. He also nudged my hand for a pet, I thought that was so sweet. Never realized how rowdy he is. Full of energy. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted.

Hello again!

I'm glad things are going well! :D It's great that he's nudging your hand for attention!

Just a note - if its iceberg lettuce you're feeding you rabbit, its actually bad for them, they should only eat dark coloured leafs like romaine lettuce. I thought I'd tell you as I remember being really surprised to find that out when I got my rabbit!!

Hello Milo, I was going to post my own post about this then saw yours. My Oli is still very timid and shy of humans. He won't let you stroke him. He doesn't much like being picked up but is ok once you have hold of him. He is not at all agressive (although tried to nip me once when I picked him up but I ignored it and he never did it again!) He is the sweetest little bunny and loves my other bunny but he really isn't keen on humans at all.

The problem is, I got him from a rescue and have no idea really what his background is or why he is like this. I suspect either a bad experience with children, or just being left in a hutch and therefore not getting used to human contact - it's a mystery, which is why I find it very hard to 'adjust' to his needs now, because I don't know what is making him act that way.

Because he was a hutch bunny before I brought him indoors, I think that one thing he needs is a secure area of his own (ie an indoor hutch or crate) which he can go and seek solace in - when we move house soon, I will have the space to be able to provide that for him. My other bunny is so different though, way more confident and quite a madam at times. She loves being cuddled (but not held) and is not at all scared of humans - quite an inquisitive little thing. And she owns the entire flat!

I have to say that Oli has got better since we got him, but it still frustrates me that he won't often let us stroke him (except recently when he is eating, and therefore concentrating on something far more enjoyable!) I have had to persist in a very gradual way with him and I hope he gets better with humans.

But to be honest the thing I love best about my bunnies is watching how they behave together and how they snuggle up and groom and look after each other. It is the best thing in the world. I am so glad little Oli has found a new home with a pretty girlfriend (despite the fact she is twice his size :shock: ) I wish you the best of luck with your bunny - he sounds like quite a character and I'm sure he will warm to you. Keep us updated on your progress :)

No I don't feed him iceburg lettuce. I brushed up quite a bit about bunny care before taking one in. Thanks for the concern!

Sounds a lot like milo. He is still pretty shy. I have only had him for about 2 weeks and he gets a little more social everyday. He came from a classroom so i know he was constantly in contact with people (kids). But it wasn't always the most positive. Not to mention the fact that he was taken out of the "Wild" at a very young age. There is a huge population of rabbits by the boardwalk down by canal park, most of them just come right up to you, but if you go to pet them they run off. It must have been quite stressful for him so i'm giving him as much time as he needs to adjust. Your bun might be the same(of course I wouldn't know that for sure). Knowing his history would probably help (frustrating).

Well I'm no rabbit expert so I can't offer very much valid advice. Only to keep it up!

Thank you very much, and best of luck with your bun :D I'm sure he is quite happy.

Pretty much what's been said, but I've found that the best way to get a rabbit interested in you is to ignore it (obviously do feed and water and clean out!). They're inquisitive little muckers and will soon be wandering over to nibble your trousers or try to steal your book.

When I got Ben I just sat in the bunny run with a book and let myself be part of the furniture. He climbed all over me and decided that I was a good toy, chewed my jumper a bit and then he wasn't frightened any more (all this over the period of about 2 weeks). I'm slowly doing the same thing with Flo (although it's taking a bit longer because of the wet weather !).

Good luck with your bunster ! :D

Back