• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How likely to bond......

Fluffybunny

Warren Scout
Hiya,

I'm reading all these posts and seeing all these pics and hearing all these stories about bonded buns on here that I now feel mean for having mine all separate :cry: :? They all look so happy :D

Some of mine are breeding/showing buns so obviously they must be kept apart and not neutered, but I do also have 4 pets....I'll give you some background on them so you bonding experts can give me some pointers on which would be the best to bond and to who...

There is Smokie:- 7 yrs old is arthritic and never lived with anothe bun (not spayed) - think she is out of the question.

Speckle:- Very nasty and unfriendly, hormonal and wants babies, 1 and 1/2 yrs. Unspayed maybe this will calm her down (got to diet her first :oops: ). She doesn't like being handled. She used to live with another doe until she was 4 months and her hormones kicked in.

Poppy:- 1yr old buck. Very friendly, unneutered. Very randy also :roll: :oops: Dunno if neutereing would calm him down totally. He is also very lively and quite a large Dwarf Lop.

Fluffy:- Also quite a large Dwarf lop doe. 5yrs old the most loving rabbit ever LOL She is un neutered and quite fat so I wouldn't want to risk the anasthetic although she has met other rabbits through the wire and just sniffed and walked away.

Has anyone ever bonded an un-neutered doe with a neutered buck?

Which will make a good pair do you think?

Rachel

Rachel.. simba is neutered and nala is not spayed so i guess that answers one of your questions. The poppy and fluffy sound the best match to me as the other two dont sound like they are friendly at the moment altho could be just down to their hormones i guess.

I'd neuter the buck and then leave it the 6 weeks (to make sure he's no-longer fertile) then try him with each of the girls and see which he gets on best with.

Bunnies reaction to people and to other bunnies can be quite different.

I'd also get Speckle neutered as it may well help her calm down.

In the mean time it could be worth trying Smokie and Fluffy together just to see how they react to each other. They may surprise you and like each other.

Don't forget all meetings need to be done somewhere neutral :)

Tam

Hiya Chris and Tamsin,
Thanks for the replies...I agree on getting the buck neutered and bonding with Fluffy :) Fluffy has a 2 storey 3ft hutch (see pic at bottom). It is adequate for her but I dunno if it would take another bun..what do you think :?:

6-picture3.gif

I don't think bonding Fluffy/Smokie would work, when they were alot younger (1yr and 4yrs) I put them in the run side-by-side and there was fur flying even between the wire! :?

What do you guys think to the hutch size? They would get a run around the garden weather-permitting alot of the time but while I am at school/at night they will be in the hutch.

Rachel

Hiya

Bonding unspayed females can take quite a while!! I tried to bond mine last year, they were ok for first few mins but then fur flew!! They seem much friendly around eachother now tho and will lay next to eachother (with wire in between!) so I will prob have another go this year.

I think that taking your time is best, when I first introduced my girls, Amy was only 6 months and Pippa was nearly 5 and Pippa didn't like the energy of Amy!! But now Amy has calmed down a bit and Pip has actually got livelier! :D So may well work this time!

Re. hutch size it really depends on how long they spend in their and how big the buns are! I think for two buns it is meant to be 5 or 6ft x 2 or 3 ft, but as you have two levels it may work out to be enough floor space.

Nicola

Back