• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help

kelly-louise

Young Bun
Hi there i really need help with one of my babies asti, he has had the runs :cry: on and off for a while now.
I have not changed anything in his diet and there is no change in him, still happy go lucky.

does anyone have any ideas????? :? :? :?

thanks,

kelly

The runs are quite serious in rabbits. A visit to the vet would be a good idea. They would most likely give him an anti-biotic and a probiotic to help him get over it.

Hiya Kelly have you been to the vets? It is paramount that you seek veterinary treatment if the bunny has the runs every day, as the bunny could be dehydrates, have an inbalance of the gut. infection, or some other underlying condition.

But only you can judge this as we do not know how regularly your rabbit is having the runs??
If it is intermittent then it is much more likely to be diet related.

Sorry your bunny is not 100% , but it is probably something that can be easily remedied by looking at the diet.
Best wishes :)

his diet is russell rabbit, hay, straw, grass,
and he is the only one that seems to get it! out of all seven!
i've stopped all veg for now just in case it was that! :cry:

He doesnt allways have the runs which is why i have thought it was diet related? could it be that he maybe over weight, he currently wieghs 10lbs and alll other sources say thats about right for an adult french lop?

i'll get on to the vet i just thought someone maybe able to help :?

kelly :D

Hiya, I'd try swapping the russel rabbit for a pellet thats higher in fibre (e.g. supreme science). How much dry food are you feeding? A french lop will eat slightly more than a average size rabbit but even so about 75-100g is probably the max.

Hay should make up the main diet so try removing the straw and only providing hay.

Weight varies from bun to bun so breed weights are only a guide, if you pop him to the vet they'll be able to tell you what his weight should be and whether he is under/over.

Does he have diahorea (runny/water poop) or is he producing excess ceatrophs droppings, these are darker then normal poop and look like a squahed bunch of grapes. Usually they are eaten by the bunny so you don't see them.

Tam

Here is a photo/details: http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/cecals.html

Usually you see these around when a bun is eating too much dry food and not enough hay. Also if the bun is very over weight and can't reach is bottom.

You should see an improvement in a week but unless you keep up the change then it will return.

Rabbits need a very high fibre diet, in the wild they'd eat mostly grasses. Hays (dried grass) is around 30-35% fibre where as commercial dry food tends to be around 10% on mixes like russel rabbit and 18% on pellets. Thats quite a difference which is why too much dry food and not enough hay causes problems.

Tam

kelly-louise said:
thanks thats a big help :D :D :D
do you think 5 cupfulls of dry food a day are to much for seven rabbits :?: :?:

kelly :p
well is depends on the size and breed of rabbits mine have 1/2 and small cup a day with plenty and hay a nd fresh veg
becky

And how big your cup is :D

An average size bunny should have a mix of around 50g of pellets per day, though less is fine if they are keeping a healthy weight and eating plenty of hay.

Try weighing out a cup to compare.

Are they all living together? If so the boss bunnies maybe getting a bigger share than the others. Try using several bowls well spread out.

Tam

thanks every one :p
asti is a lot better today :p
i will let you know the outcome in a weeks time and i will be sending some pic's of all seven over the next couple of days

thanks again
kelly :thumb:

Back