• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits on different diets

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Ok.. it is getting close to the stage i could possibly put simba and Nala into the same cage.. probably another few weeks yet but i just want to sort what i will do. At the moment Simba has hay, dried grass, SS pellets and small amount of veggies and has been on this diet for over a year now.. his poops vary in size but generally he has been well on it with no messy bottom. Nala is having hay and dried grass, and a small amount of veggies in the evening. Simba is small and so i dont know if i can take his pellets away just like that without him suffering, however when Nala nicked a few of his pellets the last few days she has had soft poops the day after so i cant yet give her pellets. How do i introduce it to her? or how do i take them off simba? The vet i just saw suggested taking them away and once they are happy together putting them back slowly but i know that Nala would just eat the lot. The other thought would be to shut simba in his cage to give him pellets then take them away while he is out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I would carry on with the hay and dired grass as they both like that. Although Pie, Mash and Aggie eat the same things, because Pie has no front teeth he eats a bit slower so every day I take him out on his own and give him an hour when he can just munch away - the other two hoover everything up too quick for him :roll: .

You could do this except in your case the "time out" could be when you give each their own special food.

Good luck
:D
lol Pam,

I still feed Rob and Molly seperately cause Molly steals all his food - she is like a dyson when it comes to food :wink: :lol:

He gets fed at the bottom of the stairs as Molly hasn't yet ventured down them - he now knows his bowls are there and runs down whenever he wants some - good exercise as well :wink:

I don't think it has any effects on the bonding if they are fed seperately :?

Lynn said:
I still feed Rob and Molly seperately cause Molly steals all his food - she is like a dyson when it comes to food :wink: :lol:

Yes Blueberry is like that :lol: the problem I have is that when Brian was living sperate from her he would take all day to finish his food! although I have noticed he tends to eat a bit quicker now :wink: I take Brians bowl out after he's eaten what he wants, then give it back to him later with Blue out of the way so he can finish it :roll:

beck said:
the problem I have is that when Brian was living sperate from her he would take all day to finish his food! although I have noticed he tends to eat a bit quicker now :wink: I take Brians bowl out after he's eaten what he wants, then give it back to him later with Blue out of the way so he can finish it :roll:

Yup this is what simba is like.. he eats his pellets throughout the day and night so ive had to put it up out the way when im home and they are out their cages and put it back in when he's there.. hopefully he will get the idea and eat them quicker :lol:
I tried giving them a piece of apple yesterday and Nala grabbed it and ran off! :shock: :lol: I offered it back to simba and she came over and was like munch munch munch.. huge chunks off whereas simba nibbled little bits off :lol: :lol:

I put a slice of apple in with Gypsy & Alfie and Gypsy picked it up and proceeded to race round their run with it in her mouth with Alfie hot on her heels. They went around so many times I'm surprised they didn't get dizzy! I think she was enjoying the game of teasing him as much as the apple :lol:

You could try putting the treats in a treatball or using a bunny kabob. Some bunnies are brighter than others so if you can find a puzzel one can do and the other can't that could help.

Tam

hehehehe thats funny Tamsin.. and i can see exactly that happening here.. at the moment i think SHE is the boss :lol:

Back