• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on Rehoming Your Rabbit

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Please Note: RU does not allow postings of rabbits for sale; if you are unsure whether you fall into this category please contact an admin before posting.

Rescue v. Homing yourself

If it becomes necessary to rehome a rabbit you may find yourself faced with the choice of whether to take it to a rescue or search out a new home yourself.

Rescue: Many rescues neuter, vaccinate and homecheck you will need to ask your local rescue what their particular policy is on this. If you are worried about finding a good rescue then you can post asking for a recommendation. Rescues can be very busy and you may have to wait before they have room to take your rabbit in for rehoming.

Rehoming Yourself: If you rehome yourself you are responsible for finding potential adopter and checking they are suitable. You may also have to deal with 'timewasters' or people that aren't appropriate new owners.

You can find a list of rescues here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp or phone the Rabbit Welfare Association helpline on Tel: 0870 046 5249. There may also be rescues listed in your local telephone directory.

Advertising Your Rabbit

If you choose to advertise your rabbit yourself, then you are welcome to list it on the forum. Please also list it on the main Rabbit Rehome website here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

Make sure you give as much information about your rabbit as possible and the type of home you are looking for. This includes things like age, sex, breed/size, whether neutered, used to living with other animals, personality, currently inside/outside, where you are and how far you are willing to travel.

Checking Potential Adopters

When rehoming your rabbit throught the forum or any other form of ad you must be careful to check the potential adopters.

You will need to ask questions such as:

Where will the rabbit be living?
What experiance of caring for rabbit do you have?
Are you aware of the costs involved (vacinations, vet care, food, bedding)?
Do you have any other rabbits?

The new owner should be aware of the needs of rabbits, the cost of caring for them and have suitable accomodation for them to live in. You will need to tell them about any health problems, behaviour problems, or other special needs. It is also helpful to ask your vet for a copy of any notes about your rabbit to pass on to the new owner, this might include details of vacination dates.

If possible visit the person taking on your rabbit, if you are otherwise happy with them this could be a final check as you drop the rabbit off. If the potential adopter refuses to let you visit you should consider what they may be trying to hide. If you are unable to visit yourself or would like someone to go with you then please ask on the forum and you may find a volunteer.

If they already have a rabbit they may be able to provide references from their vet, or have papers to prove they passed a home check from a rescue centre.

We recommend you talk with the potential adopter on the phone, not just by email, this will help you assess whether they are the right owner for your rabbit.

More Help

If you have any questions or would like further advice please post on the forum. If you'd rather talk to someone privately you can contact myself (Tamsin) or Adele.

Last edited:
rehoming a rabbit

Hi Tamsin,
I've been trying to get intouch with the RSPCA in walsall about adopting one of there rabbits which I saw on the Rabbit rehome web site,I've been ringing there number for 2 days now but keep getting the answer phone I've also tryed emailing them with my contact number but no one has rang me,the rabbit I want to rehome is a dwarf lop called Muffin,have you any idea how I can contact them about rehoming her many thanks Bren.

Hi Tamsin,
I've been trying to get intouch with the RSPCA in walsall about adopting one of there rabbits which I saw on the Rabbit rehome web site,I've been ringing there number for 2 days now but keep getting the answer phone I've also tryed emailing them with my contact number but no one has rang me,the rabbit I want to rehome is a dwarf lop called Muffin,have you any idea how I can contact them about rehoming her many thanks Bren.

Try pm'ing Lucy she is involved in rehoming at RSPCA Walsall :)

Hi Tamsin,

There is someone on here that has links with that RSPCA, I think her name is Lucy.

Our Rspca in Nottingham is exactly the same, They VERY rarely answer the phone and I have never had an email reply. I recently emailed offering them several hutches and runs as a donation and didn't even get a "thanks but no thanks".

Hope you get in touch with someone. ;)

Hi Tamsin,

Did you leave a message on the answer phone? Did you ring at the time of days it states on the RSPCA website that you are most likely to catch someone around? I was lucky enough to get straight through at about 9.30am. If you've left a message I'm sure they will get back to you ASAP.

All sorted but please remember people, I am voluntary and do have to work and have been at circus protests each evening. I'm not wonderwoman but I do try my best.

Rabbits

I have two male male rabbits that need to go to good home as I can't
keep them anymore through no fault of there own.
They are two males one's call ollie and he's like a wild rabbit
coloring and star is a ginger bunny with black spots on his back he
has part of an ear missing and part of a tail due to the mother
having to many babys at birth.
I've had them about 7 months now and they are very cheeky they like
to jump in the air when they are let out and pounce on each other
they are very happy and heathy chaps but they need more exercise and
time than I can give them.
They do live outside and they must go together as they have bonded
for life and they do have a outside hutch to go with them.
The home where they would be going to is more important to me to
ensure they are going to be happy there and I know they will be
taken care of.
They are uneutered and not vaccinated I live in manchester:cry:

I have two male male rabbits that need to go to good home as I can't
keep them anymore through no fault of there own.
They are two males one's call ollie and he's like a wild rabbit
coloring and star is a ginger bunny with black spots on his back he
has part of an ear missing and part of a tail due to the mother
having to many babys at birth.
I've had them about 7 months now and they are very cheeky they like
to jump in the air when they are let out and pounce on each other
they are very happy and heathy chaps but they need more exercise and
time than I can give them.
They do live outside and they must go together as they have bonded
for life and they do have a outside hutch to go with them.
The home where they would be going to is more important to me to
ensure they are going to be happy there and I know they will be
taken care of.
They are uneutered and not vaccinated I live in manchester:cry:

hi there you need to pm soad or tamsin about this so they can put this into the rabbits in need section you will also find it is easier to rehome them if you can get them neutered adn vaccinated first. as many people on here already have rabbits adn will not bring an unvaccinated rabbit home with their own. also if you dont have them neutered before goign to a new home they will need doing asap as soon as in new home asn they will son reach sexual maturity and will fight(causing injurys or death) a worry many owners dont want to take on. however i wish you al lthe best in homechecking and finding the right home what a shame they cannot stay with oyu ..could you attatch a permenant run which would allow them excersises both durign day and night? x

Rabbits

I honestly wish I could but I have foxes where I live I found a huge one one day jumping over my gate from where the rabbts are and I went to check and the door had been nearly pulled of this was at 9.00pm I would juts be so paranoid if something happenned

rabbits needing new home

hello

I was wondering if anyone coud help at all, i have 2 rabbits that i love with all my heart. They live out side at the moment and are quite happy the only problem is im moving and i will no longer have out side space.
At the moment they have an open run in the garden that they have all day unill night fall and then i put them back into the hutch for food and rest.
I wonder if i need to rehome or can i house train. Im not sure i will have the space for this as i have a dog but they get on quite well as tallulah is bigger than my dog lol!
Oh i really dont want to give them up but if its best for them then i will.

Any help or advice would be good.

Timmy and tallulah, both done and up to date with shots.:roll:

hello

I was wondering if anyone coud help at all, i have 2 rabbits that i love with all my heart. They live out side at the moment and are quite happy the only problem is im moving and i will no longer have out side space.
At the moment they have an open run in the garden that they have all day unill night fall and then i put them back into the hutch for food and rest.
I wonder if i need to rehome or can i house train. Im not sure i will have the space for this as i have a dog but they get on quite well as tallulah is bigger than my dog lol!
Oh i really dont want to give them up but if its best for them then i will.

Any help or advice would be good.

Timmy and tallulah, both done and up to date with shots.:roll:

If your only issues is them not being able to be outside then bring them indoors and have them as house rabbits instead. If you don't have inside or outside space for them then you will be better off trying to rehome them.. but it is difficult to rehome rabbits, especially in pairs.

Rabbit re-homing - Advice Please?

I have two rabbits that I am looking to re-home at present and no, the RSPCA Walsall (or anywhere else!) haven't got back to me either! I have e-mailed the administrator (SOAD??) but not yet heard back to get permission to put on here, but think that is the best option for me. Failing that, does anyone know of a good centre in the Stafford area?? Nothing wrong with them - lovely bonded pair, but the kids have lost interest and I just don't have the time to devote to them as I would like. All suggestions greatly appreciated!! :D

If you are rehoming your rabbit personally, you will need to check the person you are considering rehoming your rabbit to is a suitable new owner.

I have two rabbits that I am looking to re-home at present and no, the RSPCA Walsall (or anywhere else!) haven't got back to me either! I have e-mailed the administrator (SOAD??) but not yet heard back to get permission to put on here, but think that is the best option for me. Failing that, does anyone know of a good centre in the Stafford area?? Nothing wrong with them - lovely bonded pair, but the kids have lost interest and I just don't have the time to devote to them as I would like. All suggestions greatly appreciated!! :D

:? If i had a penny for everytime i heard that, you should teach your kids animals are not toys and cannot just be thrown away when they get bored, this is why all these rescues are full of these poor buns. :roll:

You need to pm SOAD with the buns details and pics, she'll put them in the 'in need' section.

Rabbit Residence

Hi

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this but I just wondered if anyone had another contact number for the Rabbit Residence mentioned on the Rabbit Rehome website based in Royston, Herts. I have filled in the form on their website and emailed from my personal email but have had no response. Also when I tried calling the mobile on Rebbit Rehome it said this phone is not accepting calls.

i just want to find another rabbit to bond with my bunny who lost his brother recently.

Any help appreciated.

Hi

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this but I just wondered if anyone had another contact number for the Rabbit Residence mentioned on the Rabbit Rehome website based in Royston, Herts. I have filled in the form on their website and emailed from my personal email but have had no response. Also when I tried calling the mobile on Rebbit Rehome it said this phone is not accepting calls.

i just want to find another rabbit to bond with my bunny who lost his brother recently.

Any help appreciated.

COme and post a thread in 'Rabbit Chat'

We'll help :)

Hi,
Im not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this but I have two bunnies who are a fantastic bonded brother and sister. I would do anything not to have to rehome them but I am emigrating to New Zealand with family.
They are both neutered and are up to date with needed vaccinations.
If anyone can offer any advice or suggestions i would be very greatful.

Back