• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dear Old Duke has joined Dutchess and Camille again

Jaypot

Mama Doe
Today (21 March 05) at 12.30pm our much loved and very brave old man Duke left us to go to the Bridge to be with his Dutchess and his Camille again :cry: :cry: :cry: He was aged 6+.
We are heartbroken - he had fought his illness for such a long time and had never complained - we feel so very lost without him here :cry: :cry:
Duke would have been with us for two years on the 28th of this month. When he arrived he was already ill and had abscesses in his nose - he was treated but they never cleared up - he didn't let that bother him - he got on with his life with his wife Dutchess whom had come with him. Just over a year ago the abscesses became really bad and after an operation to remove some teeth and take a large chunk of the side of his nose away, Duke was declared terminally ill :cry: We didn't know how long we would have him but we did all that we could to make his life happy, calm and fun. He was still with his Dutchess and he would snuggle up to her all day and night - they hardly left each others sides. He ate so much hay and that could only have done him the world of good as we knew that he was actually swallowing abscess :( Not once did he have a bad tummy - he was absolutely amazing. He still loved to lay in the garden and especially loved his compost pit - he would have a dig at it then flatten it all out - it had to be just right - then he would sprawl out in it and lay in the sun - such a wonderful sight to see.
Due to him being terminal we decided that we would concentrate on his immune system more than pumping him full of drugs that would not help him anyway - he had loads of good hay and food, lots of fresh air and sunshine, plenty of exercise and best of all, the love of a good woman, his Dutchess.
Just on 10 days or so ago Duke started to have trouble breathing properly - he found it difficult to get around without getting puffed out and his eating slowed down :( He saw Sally the vet last week and she said that the abscesses had now gone into his lungs :cry: :cry: There was nothing we could do but wait until Duke had decided that he couldn't go on any longer - he did that this morning. He refused food and water, he was making little whining noises - that was not like Duke at all, he had never made us aware of him being in pain that way. We tried and tried to get him to have something to eat but it was not to be. He could not get comfortable and his mouth breathing became worse :cry: :cry: We knew instinctively that Duke was ready to leave us :cry: :cry: John took him to the vet and luckily enough, Sally had popped in for something - she checked him all over along with another vet - they both declared that it was time - Duke was beginning to suffer.
Daddy was with Duke when the time came and Duke just went to sleep ever so peacefully - he was so very tired.
Now Duke is back with his Dutchess, who he lost in October of last year, and also with his Camille, who he lost in December of last year.
We hope that they both came and took a paw each darling boy, we hope that you felt the love and comfort of them and knew that you where going to a better place, one where you would be able to run about without losing breath, one where you would never now pain again. You will be surrounded by love and comfort for all eternity now Duke - and when we come to join you we will kiss your nose and head as we have always done and we will tell you that we have always loved you. You made us so proud darling boy - we where so proud of your bravery, proud of your choosing us to be your mummy and daddy, and so very proud of the love that you gave to everyone that came into contact with you.
Till we meet again baby boy, run free in the eternal sunshine and be happy and well again. Snuggle close to Dutchess and Camille for a while so that you know that you are all together again. Give our love and hugs to the rest of the Hairy Mob who are at the Bridge with you.
We love you darling - we will miss you so much, our dear old plodder.
Night night brave boy - we love you always.
Love from Mummy, Daddy and the Hairy Mob xxxxx
Duke24may041.jpg

DutchessandDuke224404.jpg

[/img]
dukeandcamillexmas.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg
[/img]

Binky free little Duke. xxxx

Love & hugs to you Jaypot, I hope you're okay. We're all here if you need to talk. xxxxxx

I'm so sorry!! He was a cutie and I really do hope you're okey! Remember that we're all here for you!

((((((hugs and kisses)))))))

Oh my dear Jay...once again you have had heartache. Your beloved Duke whom you describe so beautifully....he had such a wonderful life with you and it seems that he never let his problems defeat him...brave to the very end. As you said he he will be surrounded by love and comfort as he was with you

Rainbowbridge.jpg

He will be playing with all the other loving friends you have looked after

Love from

I'm so sorry to here about your loss, Our hearts are with you!
Thumper sends all his sloppy bunnie kisses to ya hun! Take Care! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Awwww no :( , I'm so very very sorry. Big hugs coming your way Jay.

~ Binky free wee man, take our love to all the spirit buns ~

Aaaaw, Jay, thank you always for sharing your bunnies with us: you always seem to manage to break my heart, each time I think I'll cope this time and the scales tip and the tears flow. I'm so sorry, he certainly was a very handsome boy and I am sure that his reunion with his girls will be a splendid one. Run free little man and binky to your heart's content.

I hope Duke is now happy and free from any pain and snuggling in to his lovely girls.

Love to you all

Pam, Twinkle, Pie, Mash and Aggie

Awww, so sorry to hear your news Jay. Hugs and snuggles coming your way, to you and john and the rest of the hairy mob.

So sorry to hear this Jay and John and thanks for posting the photos reminding us of his happier times. The one where he has a protective leg over him is fantastic. Take care.

I am really sorry to hear this sad news :(. I am just really glad that there are really friendly people like you out there, taking care of these ill, old buns. My thoughts are with you.

Ive not been near the forum for a while and yours was the first thread I read Jay - so sorry to hear you've lost another of your Hairy Mob. He looked a real character, take care.

Tahra

Dear Jay

deeply, deeply sorry to hear about your bunny, he looked so handsome and full of character, bless him.
Thank goodness he spend the autumn of his life with you, what a lucky bunny :wink: :)

Lots and lots of love, you take care, if you need a chat you are very welcome to phone me at anytime.
Big hugs
Adele

Awww bless him - what a fab bunster Duke is - and a lovely tribute Jay and John as usual - such a lovely picture too with his pals Leg resting on him - treasured memories.

Nite Nite Duke - now having fun at the Bridge with his pals.

Oh Jay Im so sorry to hear yet another of your adorable buns has gone to the bridge.

Binky over the bridge Duke, enjoy those forever green fields.

Angela

Back