• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my bunny keeps spraying me :(

dtc

New Kit
Hi guys,

I have a male dwarf lop called Spike.

When he in in the house he jumps on my lap/chest when i am on the sofa and poos or sprays me. He does not to it to my girl friend, just me.

A friend in work has sugested i have him "done" but i dont want him to go thru that if he doesnot need it.

Please Help, Thanks

Dave

it is a natual thing for bucks to spary as is marks they territory and i the only way to stop this is to have them 'done'
becky

Yes I agree my two boys have been great since they were neutered, before that not a day went by when I wasn't covered in rabbit wee, sometimes repeatedly! :shock: not nice!!! :(

My male Bun started out like that, the odd spray on the sofa when he managed to get on there. Eventually it turned into standing in the middle of the room, jumping in the air and spraying as he span round. HUGE wee circles all over my rug. That was the point we decided he needed to be 'fixed', as because he was covering the floor with spray, he thought everything on the floor therefore belonged to him and he defended his floor with teeth !! :shock: :lol:

Maybe see if it gets any worse, and I guess only you know how much hormonal behaviour you can live with before you need to do something about it. :)

ma bun does that to me, but he dont jump on my knee, he does it when hes in the garden jumping about! lol its horrible!!! lol. he got my boyfriend once, the look on his face! omg it was sooooooo funny!!! :lol: :lol:

boys and girlie buns love to spray or just sit on you for a good pee :roll: I try and take it as bunny love/flattery but oooh the pong... the only way is to have him neutured. xxx

Don't worry about neutering as rabbit medicine has come on leaps and bounds and there are now plenty of rabbit saavy vets who carry out many routine neuters every year. The risks have really come down since the use of rabbit safe anaesthetics and bucks have it easiest (it is a much more major operation for the does ;) )!

Zeus was never much of a sprayer thank goodness but I had him done so he could get a girlfriend. The main thing I noticed was after a few weeks his litter tray ponged less and overall his wee was less smelly.

I adopted and got Cosmos done in January and he was a big sprayer!! My slightly yellow walls in the spare room turned orange overnight :shock: ! I was constantly scrubbing up the mess before hubby spotted it. He was done so he could live with Violet and it has taken a couple of months but he hasn't sprayed now for two to three weeks so I think his hormones have settled. He also smells less too.

I would recommend it for male house bunnies anytime!

Both of my boys had minor complications because they worried the wounds but these healed up well under the care of my vet.

If you want any good rabbit vet recommendations you can either post your area and we will try and help or contact your local rescue and ask who does their rabbits.

HTH

Caz

Our buck Benji was a professional grade sprayer.

Anything within 10 feet was fair game!!

He sprayed his cage, the other cages, the other bunnies, the carpet, the furniture, the walls, the ceiling, the dog, us..... :shock:

After we had him neutered he stopped spraying completely and he now has imaculate litter habits, as well. His teenbunnie attitude changed and he's a regular gentlebun, too.

:~) Jim

Back