• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

f.a.o adele

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi adele and forum!!!

i was wondering what programme you would use adele to help flora.

she is in a hutch in the garden.
she is currently in a double story hutch, but she only comes out of the sleeping compartment for food, and has not ventured down stairs.

i put her in the run for about 30 minutes yesterday, for which i would say for 15 mintues she was quite nervous and just sat there.

she came from a colector situation where she was in a shed with no natural light!!!

and as i dont know her that well i feel i maybe would not know her stress limits and i dont want to push her, but do feel i would like to start working on her. how long would you put her in the run for?

and when would you try to bond her as i feel this may bring her out of herself?

what sort of programme would you use to help this very sad bun????

thanks everyone in advance!!!

Eve x

I would try covering the whole hutch with a sheet (make sure its firmly pegged down so doesn't blow in the wind) then she can explore the hutch and get used to it while still feeling safe and enclosed. Once she is happier with that you can gradually uncover it an inch at a time. You could also add cardboard boxes each end/level of the hutch so there are plenty of bolt holes.

I seem to remember Adele, having a bunny with a similar problem, I can't remember his name though :oops:

Tam

Tamsin said:
I would try covering the whole hutch with a sheet (make sure its firmly pegged down so doesn't blow in the wind) then she can explore the hutch and get used to it while still feeling safe and enclosed. Once she is happier with that you can gradually uncover it an inch at a time. You could also add cardboard boxes each end/level of the hutch so there are plenty of bolt holes.(Tamsin)

Eve this is great advice from Tamsin :wink: :)
I would suggest little but often outings for the bunny, perhaps quarter of an hour- half an hour, two to three times a day and gradually build up to longer times.
You can always give Rescue Remedy to help stress levels and probiotics in water.
I would not introduce a companion just yet, as I tend to find bunnies bond better when they are feeling more confident in themselves. It sounds like this bunny requires some one to one therapy and help from you first Eve.
I find that sitting in the run or next to it, and gently talking to the nervous bunny helps relax them as they know you are around. :wink:

I seem to remember Adele, having a bunny with a similar problem, I can't remember his name though :oops: (Tamsin)

Mr Roo (Rupert) has had a similar problem for years, we have made some progress but he has never been cured of his open space phobia, as long as he is happy in himself, I feel that is what is important.
Life would be dull if all bunnies (and humans) did the exact same things :wink: :)
Aim for improvement and not necessarily cure Eve, you just want Flora to be relaxed in herself and enjoy life as much as possible :)

Poor darling!

Tam's idea sound's like a good one.

I think she need's to feel secure in her surrondings and with you before you even consider bonding her.

Why dont you attach a run to her hutch so she can go out when she's ready to?

Give her a chance to settle in. It may take weeks for her to come out of her shell. Keep things nice and calm and to a routine. Avoid as little change as possible.

It took Stroppy a long time to settle in but with time and patience he's turned into a very outgoing Rabbit.

Louise

thanks everyone

adele i am not looking for a cure, i would just like to offer some security and a little happyiness for her!!!

i will try a sheet but what do you sugguest i have some plastic sheets that are whitish that she would still have a little light, but am not sure about keeping her totally in the dark :cry: :cry: .

can someone show me a picture of this rescue remedy and tell me where to get it please....

i will attach a run but at the moment until the enclosure i need it to let the others out!!!!

my heart breaks for her!!!!!!

bunnylove said:
can someone show me a picture of this rescue remedy and tell me where to get it please....

!!!!!

I will find you a link shortly for Rescue Remedy Eve, bear with me...

Adele said:
bunnylove said:

!!!!!

I will find you a link shortly for Rescue Remedy Eve, bear with me...

thanks adele and tamsin, adele what did you think i should use to cover her hutch, :cry: :cry:

eve x

www.rescueremedy.co.uk
explains about Rescue Remedy and tells you where you can buy it, eg from Boots and health shops.
I Think Boots online sells it too. :wink:

I use net curtains, or a white sheet to cover hutches, as these provide cover but it is not too dark for the bunny....and at least these do not rustle in the breeze and make her nervous.
Plastic sheets are okay if you can secure them properly so they do not flap around.

Adele said:
www.rescueremedy.co.uk
explains about Rescue Remedy and tells you where you can buy it, eg from Boots and health shops.
I Think Boots online sells it too. :wink:

I use net curtains, or a white sheet to cover hutches, as these provide cover but it is not too dark for the bunny....and at least these do not rustle in the breeze :wink:

thanks adele

about this rescue remedy, as this is not a product designed for buns, how and when and how often can i use it and how do we know it is safe for them??

eve x

[quote="bunnylov

about this rescue remedy, as this is not a product designed for buns, how and when and how often can i use it and how do we know it is safe for them??

eve x[/quote]

Lots of medicine, herbs etc, are not tested for use in rabbits, but are widely used.
Tested medicines are not guaranteed either.

We know it is safe for rabbits to a large extent, as we have used it extensively without any known side affects.
I would be far more concerned about the effects of stress on a rabbit than the effect of Rescue Remedy in very low doses, used on an infrequent basis :wink: :)

Just give one drop direct into mouth, two drops maximum a day, for three days total. (this is the maximum dosage we use) but we only give it post vaccination, or post op, or when bonding a group of bunnies for stressful bunnies.
We do not use it regularly on a daily basis.

Boots online sell it under Complimentary medicines, BACH Rescue remedy

Marlene said:
Dear Eve...big hugs to poor Flora..no advice I'm afraid but just to let you know I am thinking of you both :love:

thanks marlene, horrible what people can do to our bunnys isnt it, i just want to give her a better life that is the least she deserves.

eve x

she is gonna get spoiled rotten at yours :D !! she going to think she is in heaven once the shock has worn off :D

Quite a few stores are selling Rescue Remedy now, thankfully. My local Boots sells it, as do two other chemists, so if you don't feel like shopping online, check out chemists, and some homeopathic/health food shops, too!

You'd need to be carefully with plastic sheeting that there was enough ventilation and also that it doesn't get hot if the sun comes out. A thin cotton sheet might work, they let quite a bit of light in. Or go half and half plastic one side and something thicker the other. Experiment and see what she likes best :D

Tam

Back