• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zac - Strange Reaction

I too greatly admire Vets and Veterinary surgeons alike, they do a wonderful job in what are often difficult situations.
However I have this view point, that although Vets are good techincally and surgically, you would be surprised how much Vets can learn from experienced rabbit owners.
My vet is always phoning me for advice and ideas for treating rabbits, and I have diagnosed illnesses when some vets have failed.
I feel that it is a team effort, and between us all, we are working for the best quality of health and care for bunnies in general.
Textbooks are a great starting point but it is years of hands on rabbit care that can give a different insight into rabbit health, that many Vets never have the opportunity to gain.
I still stand by the moto, If in doubt contact your Veterinary surgeon, but I am afraid that it is not always my first point of call, as I am too busy getting fluids etc into ill bunnies that would be stressed to the point of no return in a car journey.
:?
I think common sense has to prevail, and each situation is different :)

bunnytales said:
I do wish you good luck with your Veterinary Nursing.

Thank you for your thoughts, Lany - but, personally, I would prefer to rely on good knowledge and experience in my work rather than to trust to "luck". :wink:

bunnynurse said:
Thank you for your thoughts, Lany - but, personally, I would much rather rely on good knowledge and experience in my work than to trust to "luck". :wink:

Hiya Bunnynurse -

I'm fine with your final say on the matter with the exception of "Luck" - Anyone who knows me would I'm sure agree that absolutely nothing I do with my rabbits or G.Pigs welfare is left to "Luck" - if you feel this then you haven't absorbed any of the details in the posts above - as I've already mentioned Zac is booked in on Friday for a thorough Bunny MOT - even though he is absolutely fine now, - if I was trusting to luck as you say - I wouldn't have bothered and together as a Team Effort I work with my Vet to provide good knowledge and experience in careing for my much treasured pets.

I'd be interested to know how you feel the many other folks on here such as Rescues and Sanctuaries should then handle the many times when they are just not able to get to the Vets to have medication prescribed?? - your happy then for the many bunny casualties which may arise if the many good opened minded Vets adopted such a procedure?

The many Vets that are already adopting a more open way of working with personal clients, Rescues and Sanctuaries shows a trust in working together and I personally feel this can only benefit the animals we care for.

I respect your opinion bunnynurse but I do feel that small animals would suffer greatly if everyone operated on such a text book stance without trust and flexibility.

[quote="bunnytales"

I'd be interested to know how you feel the many other folks on here such as Rescues and Sanctuaries should then handle the many times when they are just not able to get to the Vets to have medication prescribed?? - your happy then for the many bunny casualties which may arise if the many good opened minded Vets adopted such a procedure?(Quote lany)

We had a typical example last week in the Sanctuary when I discovered Angel collapsed and close to death. If I had not had the drugs on site, Angel would have died by the time I got her to a Vet.
Weighing up the risk of getting diagnosis wrong and treating her incorrectly or faced with her certain death, I know what route I would rather take. Vets are only human too and can misdiagnose things,
Life is a risk whichever way you look at it, you have to weigh up if it is a risk worth taking in each individual circumstance.

The many Vets that are already adopting a more open way of working with personal clients, Rescues and Sanctuaries shows a trust in working together and I personally feel this can only benefit the animals we care for. (Lany)

This is my experience too Lany, as Vets have realised that they can gain knowledge from long term rabbit keepers and not just from books.
It is not down to luck that many bunnies health is turned around by experienced rabbit carers in Rescues who have the day to day hands on, but their expertise and sound knowledge gained over many years, of proper husbandry.
To ignore this source of information is counter productive, we all want what is best for the rabbits, I guess we just have a slightly different perspective on what that is.
:wink: :)

Back