• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adding a third bunny to my bonded pair

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences of adding a third bunny to an existing bonded pair (male/female). I have heard that it would be better to get a buck - what is your opinion? (Fyi, my doe is dominant and can be territorial. My buck is rather timid.)

Thanks, b-m

I was asking the exact same question last year. I also have a bossy female but fell in love with another female (Harmony), however, I ended up getting a pair. Trying to put the four together resulted in the two males fighting but the girlies were, surprisingly, ok with either male, so they returned to pairs. We then lost our original male and I reintroduced Honey to the pair and they are fine. However, we are now trying to introduce another male into the group and it is one of the females that is causing the grief now.
Could you try a bun in with your current two and see what fits best?

Yes, those three are together and share a shed and occasionally the run of the garden. I also have Beau who is a little black mini rex that I am trying to get them to love - making very slow progress.

Hello, Townsbuns I think I will take mine to a rescue and try some different bunnies and see who they like best... they may not like anybunny, in which case I may have to rethink the plan.

ps Honey is just gorgeous, what a glam little bun!

I have an existing pair that have been together for 5 years and my Dylan who has recently lost his mate and is missing her terribly.I have recently tried the three together loose in my garden asButtons the doe is really laid back as is her mate Joey and they are getting on o.k.Dylan has licked buttons eyes and sniffed her behind but not tried to mate her.Joey the buck is very timid and runs away when Dyland goes near him.I hav'nt kept them together confined yet tho.Dylan also gets a run free with another doe Snowy from another pair as her buck has to have cage rest ffor two weeks and they've been seperated .The trouble there is that Dyland is a pink-eyed white and so is Snowy :!: I can tell them apart but its difficult

oh right cool Townsbuns aren't Rex's meant to be more difficult to bond as a rule? Good luck on getting all 4 together anyway :wink:

Thats what we're attempting to do at the moment - a doe to a bonded doe/buck pair. Adele did advise me that two bucks wouldnt work in a bunch unless they'd been together since babies..... :(

And whats this about Rex's ??? Just to make it more difficult for me - must admit Coco is still rather territorial at the moment even despite her spey - she definately loves the kitten though :D

well judging by Tree's experience her 2 bucks were fine in the group they got on fine from the start - it was her 2 doe's that were the problem???

I did think that both Bob and Marley were boys but that was her advice - Im sure it partly comes down to individual buns too.

yeah I would say so and then you get bunnies that simply hate other bunnies but the theory is that bunnies love to be in pairs.......best of luck :D

Back