• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gnawing Rabbit

I use carboard boxes, willow chewsticks (from west wales willow), cholla and lots of bits of natural straw mats or woven baskets (from chinchillas2home) to distract mine and encourage them to chew those instead. Whenever they chewed the wall I shouted stop and clapped my hands then offered them a toy. This seems to have worked and my two have been pretty good recently *touch wood* !

Caz

Ok I’ve given up my hand made wicker washing basket to the cause!
An American lady was telling me she used a type of soap (not available over here) that they don't like and has no toxins, is there anything like that on our market or is it not the best idea?

Sianny and Indie

I have heard that Dove soap is good as a anti-gnawing thing.. never tried it myself but i think a few on here have. I did buy some pet chew spray from pet shop that smells of citronella that is supposed to deter them too but it makes your whole room stink of the stuff for a few hours too :shock: Im not sure if it worked or not but he doesnt chew so much as he used to.. possibly also due to shouting at him when he did and the fact he's grown up maybe.

I agree with Caz, cardboard toys, boxes etc are great for keeping them off your walls and furniture!! Yellow pages, empty loo-rolls, cardboard boxes all great. www.cardboardguy.com do great specially made rabbit cardboard houses which has saved my walls no end!! :D

Good luck xxx

Thanks Diddeen. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks for the box website Romy, we have been making our own (which takes forever in my house) she's just never really like chewing cardboard playing in them on them and moving them is a different story, my washing basket and walls are her fav, I’ve given her the basket but the walls are mine :p
I wish my scanner would work so I could upload my pictures so you can see my house looks like a toilet tube factory.
She my first bunny and I’m in love.

Is the ink on the yellow pages ok for buns?

Buns are not supposed to like the taste / smell of vinegar. But I guess it depends if you can stand your house smelling like the chippy :shock: :lol:

Lee-Sian said:
Is the ink on the yellow pages ok for buns?

Well I hope it is as mine have had one to play with the last two years running (they get the old one when the new one arrives). I open it in the middle and put it in a carboard box to try and contain the mess then Athena digs for England on it shredding it into tiny pieces. They don't seem to eat it that much just shred it!

Caz

Cheers Caz! That’s fab news as working in a hotel they send hundreds through (which the hotel doesn't use) so I’ll take them home and have some fun with the bun.

The soap on the walls is doing well and the boxes I brought home are just as much fun for me as for Indie!

So far, so good
Thank you all for saving my walls

Hi,

This works for me but I know it's a bit strange he must have a high Bunny IQ

Billy when he does somthing he's not suppose to I put him back in his cage straight away. I keep doing this ALL the time and after a while he stops and never does it again!!!!!So far :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I migh eat my words soon!!

Maureen

ttry pet behave spray for puppies and kittens they hate the smell.....so will keep them away from the walls......

Back