• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training plz help

Put the litter tray where they tend to wee and put quite a few of their droppings in the tray, and they will eventually use it. If they wee in a different corner, move the tray there, they will soon pick it up! Neither of mine were litter trained when I got them, but are now, only took a few days. :wink:

When I first got my lionhead, Thornton I just placed the litter tray containing a folded newspaper at the bottom and some hay on top in his cage and placed a few of his droppings in the tray, I made sure that the rest of his cage( he has a dog crate) was clean and didn't have any smell of his droppings( easy as it was a new cage). I just have newspaper on the bottom of the cage tray.

Rabbits tend to like to munch while they poop and within an hour of bringing him home he was using the tray, I didn't let him out for more than a few minutes at a time for the first few days so he quickly got used to the idea of the tray being the place to toilet, I gradually let him out for longer periods and gave him access to the house one room at a time so that he could always find his way back to his cage when he needed to go.

I've had Thornton since last August, he now free runs all the time,( about 14-15 hours a day) except at night and if I'm out. and he has never had an accident outside of his cage, in fact he's more reliably litter trained than my Siamese cat :D

I am envious of fully potty trained rabbits!! Since bonding Totti and Brody, one or both has regressed and poops outside the tray. also Molly has also regressed and does it wherever... :oops:

luvabun said:
I am envious of fully potty trained rabbits!! Since bonding Totti and Brody, one or both has regressed and poops outside the tray. also Molly has also regressed and does it wherever... :oops:

I'm bracing myself for a complete breakdown in Thorny's potty training when the new bun arrives :(

As Kerri said, put the litter tray where the bun goes to the toilet :wink: I had more than 1 litter tray at first but eventually stuck to the one litter tray :D must of been his favourite :lol: :lol:

I also put his hay rack above the litter tray so he sat in it while munching and his food bowl at tea time on the floor by the tray to start with until they get the hang of it, then you can move the food bowl to a more convenient place :wink: they soon get the hang of it :D but you will always get the odd few pearlies around the place :wink: dont completely take the scent away when cleaning the litter tray too so they know it is still their toilet so to speak :wink: :)

this is how I did it, but many might have some better tips :D

I used to have five litterboxes, now am down to three. I just found, stick a litter box wherever they pee, and then take them away as they settle on which ones are their favorites. Also, keep the litterboxes clean. If the litter box gets too smelly, my buns will pee right next to it as a form of protest!

I use quite a large tray and put his litter at one end and hay at the other.
If he ever pees outside the tray I wipe it with some paper and put the paper in the tray. To start with when I changed the tray I put a little of the old litter on the top so the smell was still in the tray

Back