• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you wash/clean a rabbit??

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
hia, I want to give Bridget a little shampoo and set :wink: - how do you wash/shampoo a rabbit??

Also someone mentioned baby wipes are good for cleaning bunny bots - which make is best? Johnson & Johnson??

Thanks!! :D

Hi romy.. does she need a complete bath?
I washed my new fluffy's bottom earlier as she is a bit untidy down there :oops: and i just dip her bottom in a small amount of water in the sink.. didnt use any shampoo at all.
If you really need to bath her completely then make sure u put a towel or mat of some sort in teh bottom of the bath so she doesnt slide around and dont put too much water in. :wink:

Woukd agree with Chris that unless she really needs a total body scrub then just clean her bottom as and when she needs it.

I would also wait a wee bit until she really settles down as a bath might be a bit stressful for her just now on top of her trip and meeting her new hubby :D

Aggis has a problem with a dirty bott and I remove the poo and then with a soft cloth gently wash her bottom with baby shampoo (only a tiny amount) mixed in cosy water. Then I pat her dry and while she is drying off I cosy her in :D

Most bunnies should be able to keep themselves clean - although if she is a bit on the tubby side then maybe you will have to help with the bott - a useful tip here is to avoid false nails :shock: :D

lol PAm

Hiya Romy

we do not wash our rabbits only their bottoms if dirty, and we ensure we dry them thoroughly with a hairdryer afterwards (on a cool setting)
Fly strike often happens with rabbits that are washed regularly (ie clean and not necessarily dirty rabbits) as the flies lay eggs in the damp fur :twisted:
Instead we spot clean with baby wipes (any baby wipes brand) should be fine, and pat dry with absorbant kitchen towel.
To make a bunny smell nice and fresh we wipe them over with a baby wipe daily :wink:
Once a week I massage some cornflour into the bunnies fur and then brush it out, this works brilliantly for removing surface dirt from the skin, and keep the bunnies coat glossy and smelling fresh, without their getting wet at all.
I also use a tea tree Oil dry grooming spray which acts as a disinfectant and deodoriser, it is excellent, I can find you the details if you like?
Hope this helps :)

got any tips to encourage a bunny to wash its bottom Adele??
My girlie has a dirty bum alot of the time.. not from squishy poops.. just wee :roll: Think i will buy some baby wipes to try out on her bottom. Does Bridget have problems with poos Romy ? or is hers from wee aswell?

Adele said:
Hiya Romy

we do not wash our rabbits only their bottoms if dirty, and we ensure we dry them thoroughly with a hairdryer afterwards (on a cool setting)
Fly strike often happens with rabbits that are washed regularly (ie clean and not necessarily dirty rabbits) as the flies lay eggs in the damp fur :twisted:
Instead we spot clean with baby wipes (any baby wipes brand) should be fine, and pat dry with absorbant kitchen towel.
To make a bunny smell nice and fresh we wipe them over with a baby wipe daily :wink:
Once a week I massage some cornflour into the bunnies fur and then brush it out, this works brilliantly for removing surface dirt from the skin, and keep the bunnies coat glossy and smelling fresh, without their getting wet at all.
I also use a tea tree Oil dry grooming spray which acts as a disinfectant and deodoriser, it is excellent, I can find you the details if you like?
Hope this helps :)

Thanks Adele! Yes please if you could give me the details that would be great. I'm going shopping later so will nip into Holland & Barrett??

Diddeen said:
got any tips to encourage a bunny to wash its bottom Adele??
My girlie has a dirty bum alot of the time.. not from squishy poops.. just wee :roll: Think i will buy some baby wipes to try out on her bottom. Does Bridget have problems with poos Romy ? or is hers from wee aswell?

I have given her a cuddle but didn't dare look at her bum yet as didn't want to upset her. I've been watching her and I think she is finding it a bit hard to reach her botty. She does try bless her. She has been pooing then turning round fast trying to find them and eat them up - shes had a few squishy ones which I put down to stress as I haven't changed her food (alice provided some).

Her wee smells verys strong and her back paws look a wee bit dirty. So I'd like to clean them for her.

I'd probably let her paddle in a bit of luke warm water in a sink or bath if it is quite soiled - just to get them wet then she will clean the rest off (if she can reach ;) ) , if it doesn't look that bad then the baby wipes would probably take it off.

I assume they don't get anything nasty if they lick babywipe coated fur? You haven't had any problems with particluar brands or anything Adele?

When I got Athena she had been running around in goose poo so I gave her a little wash underneath as I didn't want her to try and clean herself and catch anything. I filled the sink about an inch with luke warm water and used a bit of small animal shampoo, then emptied the water and filled up about an inch with fresh water to rinse then dried her off with a towel and hairdryer on cool.

I have given Zeus and Athena full baths to remove special oil soaks I had used for mites and they were very good but in your case I don't think you need to give her a full bath.

Caz

Hiya, we have have had no problems with using baby wipes, I think they are as safe as can be being especially designed for babies, but nothing is ever 100%!.

With urine stained fur we find the baby wipes do not work well, instead we either make a paste of cornflour mixed with a drop of warm water, apply the paste to the urine stained area, allow to dry, then brush off.
I also tend to use baby safety scissors and keep the fur around the back legs trimmed, this stops them getting urine stained in the first place, and you can carefully trim bits off that are already dirty.
Only use baby safetly scissors when trimming bunnies delicate areas, and we use them in general, as rabbits tend to move suddenly just when you are least expecting it.
I will look up the tea tree spray details later :)

thanks Adele I appreciate it. I've got some baby wipes but my store didn't have the cornflour so I'm going to look a bit further afield..xxx

Romy said:
thanks Adele I appreciate it. I've got some baby wipes but my store didn't have the cornflour so I'm going to look a bit further afield..xxx
You are very welcome Romy :)
if you have a Tescos or large Supermarket near you they should sell cornflour, as it is the basis of white sauces :)

The Dry Grooming Powder is sold by Pet and Garden Manufacturing PLC, Dumfriesshire
01659 50141\It is supposed to be for cats and dogs, but I have used it for ages to good affect, just follow the instructions carefully and pat the bunny dry with kitchen towel afterwards so any surplus is removed before the bunny ingests it.
Tea Tree Oil Grooming Spray, also acts as a natural insect and parasite repellent .

I found it for sale in my local garden centre in the Pet department.
It has a picture of a cat and dog on the front, and says Genuine Bush Grown Tea Tree Oil.
I will try and find their web site :wink:
www.pet-and-garden.com

Great, thanks Adele. Bridget has been hopping around tonight and I've been watching her behind and its definately wee rather than poopies. Her bottom and back paws are very yellow stained so I'm sure it must be old wee stain.

I'll get the cornflour tomorrow and some baby scissors. xxx

but they are safe to use on baby's hands and face which they do lick :D :wink:
Adele.. how long does it take the cornflour paste to dry? Im just wondering how long id have to hold her on her back with paste on her bum :shock: :wink:

[quote="Diddeen"
Adele.. how long does it take the cornflour paste to dry? Im just wondering how long id have to hold her on her back with paste on her bum :shock: :wink:[/quote]

Usually about 2o minutes to half an hour, if you make the paste thick :)

Well I managed to get the cornflour and also some rescue remedy (to calm) and some tea tree spray. My brave little bridget sat on my lap while I had a peek at her botty but it looked very dirty so I gently started cleaning with a baby wipe but on closer inspection there is an area that looks very sore and a bit red. She is wet down there with urine so I wiped very very gently with the wipe and have not dared do anymore for fear of stinging or hurting the sore area. My poor brave little bridget. :(

I'm making an appointment with vet asap. She is hopping around and eating and drinking lots but I'm worried about that sore area. I might be just over-worrying but I've not dealt with that before and just need reassurance I think that the things I'm using will help her and not make it worse.

If shes got a really sore bum you could put a bit of sudocream or antiseptic nappy cream on to protect the skin a bit?

Aaawww Romy. Im sure Bridget will be just fine. Nala had a sore bottom from lots of wee before i got her too. Maaike was putting vaseline on the area to protect it. Ive had a look and cant see any sore bits but have now got some babywipes so might have a closer look in a bit.. if i can catch her!

Back