• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting

sarsimp

Mama Doe
Hi - have been putting my neutered male in a large cage next to the run where the doe and kits are so mum and dad can get used to each other again slowly. Nothing to worry about there but Pip, the dad, is moulting like mad and someone said it could be stress cos he's close to the others - especially the kits. Can anyone put me staight please? :?

A lot of bunnies are moulting at this time of year - poor Twinkle is in one hell of a state but in a few weeks she should be looking like a princess again :D

Has your bun been acting normally or does he appear stressed. If he is acting like he normally does and is eating, drinking etc then I would think it is just a big moult.

I must admit it is quite scary when you see the huge tufts that they loose - Twinkle is a jet black bunny but is loosing her white undercoat and it ooks very odd - I could make a jumper with the fur that she has lost. :shock:

lol Pam

Hi Pam - thanks for the reply. Pip is acting normally in every way - growling at me when I change his bed etc!! He will soon be back with Polly and hopefully calm down under the care of a lady! :roll:
It is scary the amount of fur he seems to be losing - he'll end up like my old man if he doesnt stop soon :lol: :lol:

My two have just started, its a nightmare! Their fur is so fine and soft it makes my nose tickle!

I had to work yesterday, and had a little cuddle with them before I went. When I got there I realised I was covered in their fur! Not good!

Anna - yes I know what you mean - every morning I come back in the house with fur stuck to my lips where I have kissed Pip goodbye!! :lol: :roll:

Back