• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

biting nails

kate

Warren Scout
Jack keeps chewing on his nails on his back foot this morning. I've had a look and he seems to have broken a nail, its very raggy. His nails are quite short as it is, they were just trimmed two weeks ago, so this one is very short now.

I don't want to trim it to smooth it off incase I cut the quick, but is there anything I should do? It doesn't seem to be bleeding or anything, but it does seem to be causing him a little discomfort.

Should I just leave it to him to sort out himself? He doesn't seem to have hurt his leg, just the nail, as he's hopping about fine.

Thanks,
Kate and Jack

if he's hopping about ok then id leave it alone. Just keep an eye that it doesnt bleed if its close to the quick. Im sure it will rub off while he is running about soon enough or at least smooth itself.
I have heard of others who have had broken nails on here so im sure they will be on soon to tell u what they did.

Zeus has broken a few nails in his time and he worries at it for a couple of days then soon forgets about it, they grow back perfectly normally.

If he causes it to bleed then you may need to take him to a vets otherwise when you notice him try and distract him with some food or a toy - make sure he doesn't start to associate nail=food though but just ensure he has so much to play with he forgets all about it ;) !

Caz

Its very unusual for a rabbit to chew a nail as caz said leave it and after a couple of days he will forget about it. If he keeps on then it is something else. val

Could you file the raggediness down with a file yourself, rather than cut it? Then you wouldn't make him bleed, and he might leave it alone if it was smooth...

Back