• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnies have fallen out!

gil

Mama Doe
Help! my 2 bonded bunnies, Moet and Chandon, have fallen out. Moet has just been spayed 8 days ago, (Chandon was neutered last December). Moet got thro her op and everything ok, the only problem being that she started off with 8 stitches and then a few days later there were 4, then 2 and now 0! i have a suspicion that perhaps Chandon has helped remove them and maybe that's why Moet is now keeping clear of him. She is keeping to the bed area of the hutch most of the time, except for eating and sometimes coming out to run around. if Chandon approaches her she runs a mile! Before they were very close and groomed each other etc. anyone any ideas on what I can do? Thanks!

It is possible Chandon is pestering her while she is recovering. If there is any way you can seperate them with a mesh divider so they can still see each other and interact but he can't try and bounce her while she heals.

Has she had her post-op check up yet? I can't remember how long but she should be healed up enough for them to be together after two weeks. Is she eating/pooing properly?

Once she has healed you can start re-introducing them - it may be best to take it slow and try it on some neutral territory first. I am sure they just need some time to adjust after the stress of the op.

Caz

thanks for the suggestions! it's only been since Thursday night that they have fallen out - they were fine until then. i already had Moet back at the vet on Monday to check out the stitches situation as they said they may need to re-stitch/staple the wound. they decided, as the wound was knitting together nicely they wouldn't do that and for me to keep an eye out in case it started to seep. so far it hasn't. she is back to her usual re eating for Scotland, particularly her favourite foods and her poo appears to be ok too. at the moment they are playing musical chairs! Moet sits in the bed area (which is a wee box part of the hutch), then Chandon will have his turn, then Moet sits and stares at him till he gets out and she gets back in! i managed to get a proper look at her wound again this morning and there is still 1 solitary stitch left so she will be going back to the vet to have it removed!

thanks! Originally it was Moet and Chardonnay when I got them but after I took them to the vet for their jabs I discovered that Chardonnay was a buck, so I then changed it to Chandon. Moet is a cross lion/lop while Chandon is a lionhead. They are really sweet and very affectionate bunnies! Moet licks my hand while Chandon likes to groom my hair. This morning they were lying quite peacefully together but Moet is still a bit jumpy and the two of them are still having a dispute over who is in charge of the bed area in the hutch!

Hiya Gil - yep brill names you have there for your bunsters - Caz has just about covered it I think really - If your going to keep them together I'd keep a watchful eye on them as its really not worth the risk of anything happending to her wound and having to undergo op procedures again to restitch - Spaying is a big procedure for a Doe but they do heal normally fairly quickly so just need to tread carefully during the first week or two me thinks.

Sending snuggles to your bunsters - hope they are both snuggleing together. :wink:

Back