• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help me please

bunnylove said:
just say no!

Not only that, I said I would go and photograph those two lops last night, I had to ring the lady and say I couldn't and she was begging on the phonew "please help me I don't know what to do", I am just an ordinary accountant, what does she expect me to do?

Romy said:
Tree said:
Romy said:
bunnylove said:
and tell this guy if he wants to drop the bun of there is a FEE!!!! get a litle harder girl for your own sake!!!

bunnylove is right, you should charge this guy a fee or just ask for a refundable deposit if you don't like to ask for a fee. The deposit can be in case you have to buy emergency medicines for his bunny as you don't know for sure this guy will actually come and get his bunny back. I know thats a very cynical thing to say but.... :) xxxxxxxxx

I am picking him up from this mans house, I thought he might dump him on me (so I know where he lives) and taking him back afterwards. Not only am I looking after his sick bunny for free, I am actually going to use my petrol to drive to his house to collect him, They really saw me coming.

You don't know if this sick bunny could infect your bunnies either. Maybe just point in him the direction of the other boarders and recues in the area that can board the bunny. Tell him you're really sorry but with six rabbits of your own you've realised you can't risk it and it just wouldn't be fair. xxx

I will ring him in a bit and tell him, I have to pick up the nerve first, my tummy turning over thinking about it.

Tree said:
bunnylove said:
just say no!

Shall I? I get really guilty, what if he has to cancel his holiday, or worse still just goes on holiday.

not your problem, infortunately tree i would love to save every bunny out there BUT I CANT, he should have fault this through before getting a bunny, i did !!!! how bout all the dumped bunnies all around the country, there is nothing you can do, if anything happened to this bunny whilst in your care he could take you to court, and what for a Kind gesture, no tell him on his bike or give him the details of a local boarding centre.

sorry eve x

bunnylove said:
Tree said:
bunnylove said:
just say no!

Shall I? I get really guilty, what if he has to cancel his holiday, or worse still just goes on holiday.

not your problem, infortunately tree i would love to save every bunny out there BUT I CANT, he should have fault this through before getting a bunny, i did !!!! how bout all the dumped bunnies all around the country, there is nothing you can do, if anything happened to this bunny whilst in your care he could take you to court, and what for a Kind gesture, no tell him on his bike or give him the details of a local boarding centre.

sorry eve x

You're right of course.

Give him the number of Guardian Angels like Adele suggested - I am sure Adele will help if she can and if he got your number from RWA ask him to ring them and get a list of local boarding places - explain about the insurance and you don't want to risk your own rabbits etc.

Caz

Caz said:
Give him the number of Guardian Angels like Adele suggested - I am sure Adele will help if she can and if he got your number from RWA ask him to ring them and get a list of local boarding places - explain about the insurance and you don't want to risk your own rabbits etc.

Caz

Will do cheers Caz

I know that it is a bit late as the vet seems to have given out your number to everyone but how about if you do a list of phone numbers for the vet to give out of boarding places, rescues etc in your area.

It may also have been that a member of the forum read this link http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2287&highlight=rescue
and maybe got the wrong end of the stick. :?

The other thing is that the issue of charging for boarding is irrelevant - you simply can't do it as you are not insured. I think you should check that the RWA have you listed only as a hopper and not as a boarder. Also you do not have any neutral space so you would not be able to quarantine either.

Good luck with the phone call - I don't envy you. :)

lol Pam

There are two things you have to do because you're really getting yourself into a mess:
(1) Phone the guy back and tell him that you've had to change your mind because you've looked into it and you can't take them without insurance. Be firm, I know it's really hard when people are asking for help but you really can't do this for him. Have a list of nearby boarding e.g. from RR and GA's number so you can show you're not leaving him out on a limb.
(2) Call the people giving out your number (RWA and the vets) and make sure they know what you do and don't do. You could say that you don't want them to give out your number and that any enquiries have to be passed on through them.

More generally, you really need to learn to say no to people by the sound of it! I can understand how you've got yourself into this cos you're a nice person and you want to help. The problem is that if you tell people you're going to do something (like photographing the lops) then they feel let down if you can't do it.

It's much better if you can say no in the first place - I don't mean that you should automatically say no to everything but be aware of your limits. Like a lot of us, working full time you just can't take on all these extra commitments!

Tree said:
bunnylove said:
just say no!

Well that is his problem and not yours.
His rabbit is his responsibilty.
He should sort out care for his pets BEFORE booking a holiday, not using emotional blackmail on you to save his bacon at the last minute.
I do not accept late bookings here at the Sanctuary unless there is a very good reason, as it is not fair to other people who book months ahead and plan properly for their pet care.
Nix is right you are too kind for your own good :?

Thank you for all your help, I haven't rang him yet, but I will the MD is in the next office so I have to be carefull who I phone in works time. Little does he know I'm on the internet all day. :?

Tree, you are an absolute star the way you love bunnies. But please don't let people take advantage of you.

Once one person thinks they can off load their rabbit, you'll never have any peace!!!

His rabbit his responsability, you wouldn't off load your children when you went on holiday.

Betty

ha ha, saying that my Mom never took me on holiday with her.

Right I've rung him and given him some numbers of boarders, so hopefully he will be ok. I did say let me know that everything is ok, my conscience couldn't take it, if I read in the paper bunny home alone :cry:

Sorry to hear this Tree but I must stress that you SHOULD approach your vets as it is against the law to hand out anyone's details without the persons permission :wink: Your vets have broken the Data Protection Act by giving people your telephone number :wink:

With regard to the RWA, you having given permission to hand out you number as contact for your area's Hopper Group. The RWA only hand out this information to members, so I would suggest that you contact them and give them this guys name as they should be able to trace him :wink: as he clearly has abused this information as a way of finding a holiday home for his bun and I am sure the RWA would be interested to know this and would most likely, contact him through his membership No: :wink:

Hiya I havewnt spoke to the vets yet to tell them to change it will do, just been a bit busy with my tribe going to Adele's.

I have and update on the lionhead. I rang the gentleman last night to see if the bunny had somewhere to go while he was on holiday and he's been rehomed. The man said he had a phone call and he had settled ion as a house bunny. He said he was rehomed to a fusspot like me, I am not sure if fusspot is good or bad but he said it in a nice way, so I don't think he was being nasty.

Anyway Yay for fluffy ther lionhead and his new home.

Blimey... Sp if you'd boarded the bun he might never have come back for it then if he was actually wanting to rehome it!

Lucky escape there Tree!

:lol: Yeah that would of been a terrible, he probably wasn't even going on holiday.

Back