• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's with all the licking ?!

Salsa

Warren Scout
It's only just happened in the last few days, but Ben has suddenly decided that everytime he sits on my lap he must clean the whole of the front of my sweater. He does the same thing to the sofa blanket if i put him on that. :shock: What is he up to ?

Oooh thats lovely!! He is grooming you!! Rabbits show love and affection to eachother by licking eachother for grooming. If he sometimes starts to nip your jumper or try and almost dig it a bit (not aggressively) that is just him trying get the knotts out of your fur!! You will find eventually he will start licking your skin too!! :D

Ooooh you have lovely ickle loving bunny!!! xxx

ahhh I saw my bunny's tongue yesterday for the first time, it was so cute. he hasn't licked me yet, so when he does I will know it is because he loves me and not because he thinks I am dirty and need a wash :lol: :lol:

BirdieBun said:
ahhh I saw my bunny's tongue yesterday for the first time, it was so cute. he hasn't licked me yet, so when he does I will know it is because he loves me and not because he thinks I am dirty and need a wash :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bunnylove said:
showing you affection or maybe he needs a drink :lol:
Ah, now that might be it, maybe it is too warm for him in the house in the winter - all that central heating (he lives outside).

I don't think it is an affection thing, as he has always been quite cuddly and very free with his licking when you stroke him - sweater, hands, shoes, pretty much any part of you he can reach :lol: . This is different tho, as he seems to do it as soon as I bring him indoors and not just with the usual bunny/ human grooming session :). Maybe he thinks I am dirtier than usual :shock: :shock: :lol:

I did wonder whether it might be something to do with the new diet regime - hay and a few pellets only - as he was told he was getting podgy by the vet a while back. I started with a veggy and hay diet, but that played havoc and left him with a constantly sticky bum, so now we are onto entirely hay and dry food diet and just less of the pellets than he had before. I wonder if he is hungry - trying to lick any crumbs off the front of my sweater !! :lol:

My bunny will do almost the same thing. He absolutely loves to lick. If I'm barefoot, he'll lick my feet, and if I'm sitting on the floor, sometimes he will jump onto my shoulder and lick my face. If I'm wearing an especially loose shirt or coat, he'll start to dig at it. I can only assume he's trying to get the knots out, as Romy said. :wink:

One strange thing I've noticed about him is that he does love to lick my sofa. I don't quite understand it.

Darcy loves licking most things too - I think its a lick to see if it might taste nice then go for the full chew.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ralf isnt a licky bunny, but Poppy will lick anything, the shed floor, her hutch, the mesh, my slippers, my jacket, her vet-bed, my hands - anything!! My old lop Treacle loved to lick my hands - think he liked the salt from them! :lol:

Simba licks my clothes when we have a cuddle.. othertimes he also licks the carpet, teddys, my speakers :shock: , the sofa.. He has never licked my skin.. usually nips me instead :lol: I put it down to just being friendly and i get so annoyed when he tries to dig my jumper or jeans! Didnt realise he was still grooming me :lol:

Salsa said:
bunnylove said:
showing you affection or maybe he needs a drink :lol:
Ah, now that might be it, maybe it is too warm for him in the house in the winter - all that central heating (he lives outside).

I don't think it is an affection thing, as he has always been quite cuddly and very free with his licking when you stroke him - sweater, hands, shoes, pretty much any part of you he can reach :lol: . This is different tho, as he seems to do it as soon as I bring him indoors and not just with the usual bunny/ human grooming session :). Maybe he thinks I am dirtier than usual :shock: :shock: :lol:

I did wonder whether it might be something to do with the new diet regime - hay and a few pellets only - as he was told he was getting podgy by the vet a while back. I started with a veggy and hay diet, but that played havoc and left him with a constantly sticky bum, so now we are onto entirely hay and dry food diet and just less of the pellets than he had before. I wonder if he is hungry - trying to lick any crumbs off the front of my sweater !! :lol:

does your bunny live inside or out? if its out then he probably does need a drink, but to be honest i would not bring my bunny in and out of the house until the weather is alot warmer and the temperature difference is near the same, quick temperature changes are not good for bunnies.

Huggies is always happy to lick my fingers, hands and if I am low enough my forehead. He is so soft and gentle. Could it be the salt they are after from the sweat ( not saying you guys are sweaty :oops: :oops: :oops:) if i have not washed my hands after doing my hair in the morning (that will be the feminine side coming out then !! :oops: ) then he doesnt want to know. She licks every now and again, i think thats her treat to me though. :lol: :lol:

Charlie only licks certain people, so I've always assumed its a friend thing. He does tend to lick people more in the summer - as Mark said probably cos of the sweat. Otherwise its anything fluffy. Fern was the opposite - she never licked anyone, not once, and didn't lick fluffy things - she preferred glass, skirting boards and walls. Oh, I forgot, the gerbil tank - ooh, will find pic! They used to live in a tank in the middle of our lounge, Fern would spend ages sat licking the glass!

eba00141650f00000013.jpg

The Boys - Eric, Donald and Basil.

Maybe your bunny is just feeling more affectionate than usual - he's realised he loves his mummy very much.

Perhaps its a feramone thing :?

Or maybe he just likes your new fabric conditioner! :D

how strange...........only yesterday I was saying on this thread that my bunny didn't lick me or my clothes, and last night he had a good lick of my sleeve...........weird ah it is so sweet though :D

bunnylove said:
does your bunny live inside or out? if its out then he probably does need a drink, but to be honest i would not bring my bunny in and out of the house until the weather is alot warmer and the temperature difference is near the same, quick temperature changes are not good for bunnies.
Ah, but my bunny does not need to come indoors in the summer, as there are plenty of humans in the garden to play with :wink:. I realise the temperature difference is probably not the best thing for him, but I think sitting outside on his own is probably worse. And he has his snugglesafe to cuddle up to when he goes back outside, so the temperature change isn't such a huge shock :shock: :D .

Back