• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do I get Flash neutered yet?

The dill is strong enough to mask any type of smell coming from the litter tray ....believe me!!! :lol:

Sorry, don't know about spraying as we had to get Con castrated when he was only 3 months ........not ideal but he was very stressed by the presence of the female (even though she was at the farthest end of the house from him .....or maybe because of!! :wink: ) that he had mucus covering his poo .....so the vet thought that a healthy 3mth old had better chances than an older bun who had become sick because of the stress .....so as soon as they dropped they were cut off!!! :wink:

You can get the lavender essential oil in most big supermarkets as well as chemists!

wow a completely different suggestion from you Adele :D

so at what age to I introduce my bunnies fresh food into his diet?

also, he really doesn't eat much hay, I always put a big clump of it in his cage but he rarely finishes it and I am constantly throwing it away. he isn't eating certain bits of his dried food either, he picks his favourite bits out which is leaving 50% of his dreid food all the time??

Tree said I should get Science Selective and mix a handful of these in with his dried food?

So you think no fresh food at all then?

Thanks for your feedback :D

Adele said:
Hiya, I think the reason why your rabbit smells is the build up of gases in his tummy.
I would not recommend feeding a young rabbit cabbage or greens at all, as there digestive system is so delicate.
We do not feed our adult rabbits greens either as they too risk bloat and upset tummies.

hi adele what veg and in what quantities do you feed you adult rabbits veg. i have always assummed grasses and veg is what they would eat in the wild, i give my rabbit plenty of hay for munching all day long, small amount of pellets in the morning and an asortment of veg every night... should i not be feeding veg so frequantley. my way has sorted the sticky bums out though.

Eve x

Sorry, think you should go with Adele .......forgot how young he was ....but the lavender will work for the air anyway.

My buns went on probiotics when Con had the mucus problem and I used them on them afterwards too .......think they saved him from GI stasis ......so go with that .....

Adele, do vets in England not stock them as it'll take a while to get them from the net???

bunnylove said:
[quote="Adele
hi adele what veg and in what quantities do you feed you adult rabbits veg. i have always assummed grasses and veg is what they would eat in the wild, i give my rabbit plenty of hay for munching all day long, small amount of pellets in the morning and an asortment of veg every night... should i not be feeding veg so frequantley. my way has sorted the sticky bums out though.

Eve x

Hiya Eve,
we give our rabbits hay as their main diet, and only a handful of pellets in the evening.
As piece of carrot/ or handful of fresh herb every other day at most.

Although rabbits do eat grass in the wild they avoid the fresh young grass in the main, and go for the drier, older bits of grass, so they do not get digestive upsets.
We find that grass upsets the bunnies, but the hay does not, so we keep to that.

conny said:
Adele, do vets in England not stock them as it'll take a while to get them from the net???

Hiya Conny, yes Vets stock Probiotics , but it is far cheaper to buy it direct online from Vetark.
They usually post it out within 24 hours, we use it all the time :)

right so my conclusion is no veg.....................lots of hay...........dried food................lavender oil in a burner (can only help)..............probiotic (would like to know if they sell it in shops)...............and Science Selective?????????????????? Would soembody advise if I should get SS for my bunny please

Thanks Everyone xx

BirdieBun said:
wow a completely different suggestion from you Adele :D

so at what age to I introduce my bunnies fresh food into his diet?(BirdieBun)
I would gradually introduce a few portions of fresh veg each week from 4 months to be safe :)

also, he really doesn't eat much hay, I always put a big clump of it in his cage but he rarely finishes it and I am constantly throwing it away. he isn't eating certain bits of his dried food either, he picks his favourite bits out which is leaving 50% of his dreid food all the time??

It is bad news he wil not eat hay as it needs to be his main diet, the only thing to do is to take everything out of his diet, so he has to eat the hay.
This is paramount to his entire general health and keeping his teeth ground down.
I would just give a small handful a couple of times a day so he is tempted with fresh hay all the time.
I would reduce the dried food, to about a tablespoon a day at most, and nothing else, this way, he will get the taste for hay.
If he has other foods available, like greens, veggies then he will eat those instead of the hay.
This sets up a bad eating process for life, so you have to be strict. He will not starve, he will soon be tucking heartily into the hay if that is all he has around him.
If he is not eating well at the moment, it may be that he is feeling off with a bloated tum, so again , this indicates that he needs to come off the greens asap.

Tree said I should get Science Selective and mix a handful of these in with his dried food?

You could do, but again it will distract him away from eating hay, which is the critical thing :)

So you think no fresh food at all then?

Thanks for your feedback :D

No fresh food for a while yet, and he needs to be eating lots of hay a day before you add anything else.
He needs a small amount of dried food though as he is still growing.
I am happy to help, it is no problem at all :)

BirdieBun said:
right so my conclusion is no veg.....................lots of hay...........dried food................lavender oil in a burner (can only help)..............probiotic (would like to know if they sell it in shops)...............and Science Selective?????????????????? Would soembody advise if I should get SS for my bunny please

Thanks Everyone xx

what are you feed now? if it is mix then this causes selective feeding (ie a fuss bun) with the pellets they cant be fuss because it is all the same, all of mine are now on ss and as soon as they walk through the door and are settled they are started on it, i mixing it in to their orginal food for a 10 day period.

right brought some SS - so I just need to mix it in with my bunny's dried food for 10 days then move him onto SS alone?

he is still quite thin on his shoulder blades, so he does need feeding up...........how many pellets do I put in with his dried food............I feel he needs quite a lot of dried food at the moment as I say because you can feel his shoulder blades but he is healthy size everywhere else on his body?

oh gosh so much to learn all the time - and I thought I was well prepared :shock:

Hiya I would give him two or three small feeds a day of dried food, this will help build him up as he is still growing.Make sure he eats each small feed up properly before giving any more, but if he is not eating hay, then cut back again.
I would be careful not to over feed the dried food , but the packet should give you a guideline as how much to feed to your rabbits taking into account his age etc :)

how old is flash? i give my buns ab lib pellets until they are 6 months old, after that i give around 50grams per day!!!!!

bunnylove said:
how old is flash? i give my buns ab lib pellets until they are 6 months old, after that i give around 50grams per day!!!!!

I would only feed dried food ad lib if they are eating lots of hay aswell, Flash is not eating much hay, so that has to be taken into account else he will get into bad eating habits for life.
Hay has to be the main diet even for young bunnies.

Adele said:
bunnylove said:

I would only feed dried food ad lib if they are eating lots of hay aswell, Flash is not eating much hay, so that has to be taken into account else he will get into bad eating habits for life.
Hay has to be the main diet even for young bunnies.

oh i never thought of that mine do eat tonnes of hay,

right so if I dont put an alternative in his cage he wont have any choice but to get more into being a hay muncher :D

and one last thing Adele do you recommend that I give my bunny SS?

thanks bunnylove for all your advice too you have been great :D

BirdieBun said:
right so if I dont put an alternative in his cage he wont have any choice but to get more into being a hay muncher :D

:lol: :lol: :thumb:

and one last thing Adele do you recommend that I give my bunny SS?

:D
I do not see why not, all in one pelleted foods do prevent selective feeding. :)

Yes, I'd agree with feeding SS rather than a mix. It prevents selective feeding and is also much higher in fibre. Hay is really important to bunnies, they should eat loads of the stuff each day. Make sure its yummy hay and he'll like it better and be more inclined to eat it. Look for stuff that is greenish not brown, not dusty and not chopped into short pieces. You might have the best luck by going to a farm/horse feed shop and buying hay there, if you ask they can usually find a part bale so you don't have to get too much at once :D

Tam

Tamsin said:
Yes, I'd agree with feeding SS rather than a mix. It prevents selective feeding and is also much higher in fibre. Hay is really important to bunnies, they should eat loads of the stuff each day. Make sure its yummy hay and he'll like it better and be more inclined to eat it. Look for stuff that is greenish not brown, not dusty and not chopped into short pieces. You might have the best luck by going to a farm/horse feed shop and buying hay there, if you ask they can usually find a part bale so you don't have to get too much at once :D

Tam

Hiya Carys has gone home for the day, but she does buy farm hay, we go to the same farm for it, I buy the bails and Carys buys the part bails in the bags, but it is the same hay.

well everyone my bunny loved the SS. so hopefully I will get him to have that rather than mix eventually...................cleaned all his cage last night and used a new litter and the smell isn't as strong although my boyfriend said that he smelled strong this morning. didn't give him any fresh food, and I won't from now on...............phoned the vet and I can hopefully book him in for his castration when I take him for his VHD jab on Friday next week...........I love him to bits though he is getting a right little character!!!!

Back