• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spraying Male

sweety

Warren Scout
Hi there

Anyone had this?
Ok well ive had many males over 30 yrs but my Pepper has been rather disgusting towards me in the last 2 weeks..When I approach him at his cage, he spins round and turns his Bum towards me and sprays me EWWWWWWWWK..He does not do anything like this in the house,in fact he is quite clean in the house now.. Im not sure if this is a male hormone thing, territory,the fact he is now 6 months,or wants a girlfriend :wink: or what? If its a sign of affection, I do not find it funny as I now have to try and guess when hes going to do it, he has soaked clothes daily now and ive had to change,not good especially before the school run where im running around like a looney..Its becoming very unpleasant and its spoiling the kids time with him as they love to go up and open the cage to stroke him..I had him running in the garden for 3 hours this morning, I thought maybe he is unhappy but hes spoilt rotten and comes out most days..I may get him neuterd as I know that if its hormones,it could help..

Never had this in all my time of having bunnies..

Lisa

yep he wants you as his lady friend. He's reached sexual maturatity and is showing his affection while marking you as his. :wink:

I'd get him done. It does tend to calm them down.

I know when ever we get one like this in it always goes in a bottom hutch until he's been neutered, been caught out to many times.
If you have children just watch that he doesn't spray them in the eyes. :shock:

Ooooh yeah baby!! Its time to get that bunster down the vets for the snip snip!!! All that spraying will stop then!! xxxxxx

PS I had a girl mini-lop years ago who used to spray me as well before she was spayed!!! Not pleasant!!!

Hi

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh :?

Thanks..I thought so, oh great!!! well I will have to think about getting him snipped them,poor littel thing, I was considering a girlfriend later on maybe!!! not to have babies though,been there done that a million times,no thanks,got enough gpigs right now...

Ill look into it, in the meantime, ill get me rain mac out :lol:

Lisa

Hi Sweetie - is he the Dutch in the avatar? I've just babysat a friends Dutch and had the same issue and its the foulest smelling substance known to man. He also did it whilst turning round so it went in a huge arc shape. They are hoping it goes when he's neutered as well.

One of my boys, Bunberry, used to spray any female human or rabbit within reach of his cage before he was neutered at six months. He got me full on the top of my head once when I was kneeling down in front of it to do something. I was NOT happy, though my daughter who was watching couldn't stop laughing :? :lol: . He stopped spraying almost immediately he'd had the snip and his rather strong smell went too. I don't think change always happens as fast as that but I was lucky :D .

Yes, my old lop Treacle used to be one of the randiest rabbits ever, and always sprayed his wee in a big circular shape!! I was telling someone else about it on another thread, he got my dad in the eyes once, he ended up walking back to the house, not being able to see a thing, covered in stinky rabbit wee!! I can only describle it as smelling like rotten popcorn!! I couldnt help him for laughing, he looked like a big bogey man who had fallen in a swamp trying to find his way back to the house!! :lol: :lol:

We got Dudley 2 weeks after his snip and he still sprayed and stank for a good few weeks. Apparently it was worse before, which I can't even imagine cos it was so foul!

hi

Hi Again

Yes he is a Blue Dutch altho he looks black in the pic..

I bed him last year

The little devil has just got me again,im fed up with all this washing of my clothes..heheheh..I do it myself if he keeps going(joke)

Cant aford it yet,maybe next month but ill try to raise the funds a.s.a.p..

He mainly does it to me, had to change my jumper just now,misjudged it b a few seconds...Its a first for me, all my other males have never done it..

Lisa

My two were neutered 9 months ago and they still spray from time to time! :( I came in from work today to take them to the vets and poor Treacle was covered in it!!! :(

My friend has just had her male rabbit de-balled :shock: when he was at mine, he sprayed and it was the foulest smelling substance known to man :shock: apparently, after he returned to his own house and was away from my bunnies, he stopped doing it and it got less evil smelling. Do male buns really think that smell is a turn on :?: :shock:

touie said:
My two were neutered 9 months ago and they still spray from time to time! :( I came in from work today to take them to the vets and poor Treacle was covered in it!!! :(

oh god I wonder why that is.........is this common for a male to still spray after he has been neutered??

I had left Niamh the run of the house whilst I was at work and I think she must have been teasing them! I guess even neutered buns can get excited over a good looking girlie!!! :shock: :lol:

I just hope they calm down as they get older !!! :?

Zeus has been missing his danglies for 8-9 months now and he sprayed Athena and Violet when Cosmos (very recently neutered) was doing it.

I think he figured it was unfair of Cosmos to mark both the girlies as his so he got his own back - it is the two girls I feel sorry for ;) !

Luckily this was in the garden at the time!

Cosmos is stopping now - he was still as potent as ever for the first month after the op but two months on now and he rarely does it.

Zeus hadn't done it since his op until the new rabbits came on the scene. Thankfully he hasn't done it now Cosmos has stopped.

Caz

that's encouraging Caz :D i was worried then that I would have a spraying male even wothout his bits............I havent seen him spray yet though thank god :)

Back