• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to bond two pairs

bunnygran

Warren Scout
Three weeks ago we got pair of lionhead babies. We already have a bonded pair of Dutch bunnies. We would like to eventually have them all running about together. They are in two cages in the same room and they can touch noses and sniff each other through the mesh.

For the last week we have been putting all 4 of them into the bath. Jack, our boy Dutch bunny seems to be fairly OK and both babies have groomed him. Rosie, however, is a fiesty bunny and she is not happy at all. My partner strokes her head and talks to her all the time and the babies have groomed her, but given the slight chance she lunges at them and grabs hold of their fur. She got one of them by the neck.

We know that we have to allow a certain amount of scuffling, but they are so small compared to Jack and Rosie that we are frightened she will really hurt them.

Rosie is a very attention seeking rabbit and we are giving her loads of nose rubs to try and reassure her that she is still top bunny.

Is there anything else we could do that might help. Would swapping cages help?

Thanks Linda

Hiya swapping cages will help.

I am bonding four at the moment too. I have just done it two at a time.

Marley Maisie and Bob get on, Marley Beatrix and Bob get on.

I am just left with Masie and Bea to bond. Please see my post on bonding tip that I have just posted. If you have any tips please let me know :D

We bonded two pairs. We did car drives to a neutral run, and we got them to tolerate each other on neutral territory. When it got to getting them to be friends in the flat we swapped cages each night, and also left the original pair caged for an hour or so while we let the newbies hop about and chin stuff and get to know the place. Then we'd swap them over and let the original bunnies hop about and reclaim their space. Eventually the room just smelled equally of both pairs. It was still a bit fractious the first few times they were all out together and it took a long time of keeping them separated by bars unless they were all on completely neutral territory.

Back