• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bonding tip that really works. Pictues added

Status
Not open for further replies.
ellepotter said:
BirdieBun said:
ellepotter said:
Hello Tree,

I would rather not see any pictures if you don’t mind.

Any "trick" as you call it in my mind is the wrong way to go about bonding.

What happened to the good old-fashioned neutral territory, time and patience?

Louise

oh my god what an over reaction! anybody would think she was going to post a picture of a rabbit in a pan. Why don't you all let Tree bond her bunnies using methods which she feels they are comfortable with and that will hopefully have a positive outcome eventually. how dare anybody say she doesn't love her rabbits as they are her life, some of you have been extremely unfair and hurtful.

I dont see what is wrong in not wanting to see photos of this "Rabbit's in the bath trick" ?

If Tree want's to post them then fair enough but I dont want to see them.

Tree posted a "tip" on bonding Rabbit's on an open forum. She must expect people to comment on it. You cant expect everyone to agree.

Nobody said she didn't love her Rabbit's.

Louise

Thanks I appreciate that, I was starting to feel like that was being implied.

Kerri C said:
Romy said:
Kerri C said:
suppose its a bit like trying to get me to live with an ex boyfriend or something against my will - UGH!!!! NO THANKS!!! :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love the Poppy v Ralf stories!!! You crack me up!! :lol: But living with an ex boyf... :shock: Please god no!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry Tree, I can't really give any opionions on this as have never tried to bond..yet!! I will come for tips soon no doubt tho xxxxxxx :D

How long before you get Bridget Romy? You will then have stories of your own to tell!! (Im not telling Poppy though, she'll be jealous!!) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bless Poppy!! Ooooh I'm so chomping at hte bits with excitment...can't wait for her to come. I will hopefully find out today when she is coming. You know me, the minute I know you will all find out too!! xxxxx :D

Com on ladies, take deep breaths, walk away from the computer and then come back. Water in the bath bonding trick doesn't really sound cruel maybe if your personal rabbit has a real fear of water then I can understand. i'm sure years ago some people thought two rabbits in the back of car was cruel??

Rabbit care is constantly being updated and improved. I remember years and years ago when I had my mini-lop and everyone was saying it was terrible to give your bunnies veggies - now they say the total opposite!

I may not having bonding experience of my own but soon will be trying bonding and will ask Tree her advice as she has bonded a lot of rabbits. I may not personally use the bath trick as by hte sounds of it Darcy's betrothed rabbit is too big for my tiny bath!! :shock: :lol:

Remember my post on bathing Zeus? I got a lot of stick for that too but he loves water and I could tell he wasn't stressed by the way he stretched out and his breathing wasn't any faster than usual.

Most people here never tell anyone off when they suggest using the car carrier trick to help with bonding but as most rabbit care books tell you: the point is it is a stressful situation so the rabbits gain comfort from being with each other, cuddle up and they hopefully remember that feeling of being comforted when they are back in a neutral bonding situation.

In the same way Tree is suggesting using water to create a mildly stressful situation to encourage the rabbits to gain comfort from each other.

Personally I can't see the harm as they just don't like getting their feet wet if they had a phobia and were screaming or scrabbling desperate to get away then I would say it was too stressful for them but how can we judge as we don't know her rabbits and haven't been there while she is doing it.

If you feel your rabbits would find that extremely stressful you don't have to try it and as my rabbits seem to love the rain and muddy puddles I feel it perhaps wouldn't work for me.

Caz

I tried to post something on this about fifteen minutes ago but my computer crashed - again :( .
The way I see it all rabbits are different, as are all people, cats, dogs etc.
Rabbits aren't supposed to like heights, that's a generalisation I've read everywhere. No-one's told Tarragon that, he's not happy unless he's climbed to the highest point possible of everywhere he goes, he likes jumping and he likes being walked around perched on my shoulder like a parrot. I've seen rabbits sunning themselves up trees so it obviously didn't bother them much either.
Some rabbits hate being picked up, some love it and so on. I've had water phobic cats and one who threw himself in ponds for a swim every chance he got.
I've heard of at least two different people (in America) who let their pet rabbits swim in the pool with them and the rabbits show every evidence of enjoying it, they certainly come back and do it enough :shock: .
Tree isn't talking bottomless black well of water here which would obviously be a different matter, she's talking about a couple of millimetres that doesn't even cover their feet.
The thing that seems most important to me though is that Tree is obviously someone who loves her rabbits and I give her enough credit to know the difference between merely cautious animals and terrified ones. I'm sure some are terrified of water, I'm equally sure some aren't. Nothing that's been said makes me think these rabbits are suffering. I don't go round fighting but if I did then I suppose a similar analogy would be that I wouldn't start a fight on an ice rink. That wouldn't mean however that I'd be terrified of standing on an ice rink just cautious :) .

Hiya, I can see what Tree is attempting to do here by gently shocking the bunnies into forming an association under a slightly threatening situation.
I understand the tactics, and indeed the idea of putting unbonded bunnies in a carrier in a car, so that hopefully by the end of the journey they will be buddies.
However, I am extremely concerned that this is not taken to be a recommended or usual way of bonding bunnies, I personally would not endorse any method that created stress.
The arguement that you can see when a rabbit is stressed is not a sound one, as bunnies hide stress and illness very well.
Bunnies can so easily become seriously ill from shock, firstly with gut statis, and secondly they can have a heart attack and die.
I am sorry to disagree, but having worked with bunnies for 30 plus years now, I believe in working WITH them, and not against them, forcing them into unnatural situations is a real concern.

If Tree feels that she wishes to try and bond her bunnies using this method, then that is her choice and we have to respect that.
However, I want Members to know that RU is not promoting that Method, or any other that potentially causes stress.
Tamsin and I are happy to give bonding advice using tried and tested methods, that avoid shock tactics that can be disasterous to a bunnies delicate system.

[quote="Tree"

Bluebunny I have been expecting you, why, Is it because you advice is second to none? Nah it's because you pop up on other peoples posts to throw in insults and to be honest getting boring
[/quote]

Hiya Tree, please may I remind you to bear in mind the RU Charter when posting in the Forum.
Personal insults will not be tolerated, thank you.

ADMIN.

tree honey do what you feels is best only you know what your rabbits are like, and you are the BEST person to judge!!

i know my rabbits inside out (well most anyway) i know what they like what they dont like and what the will tollarte and will not.

why is it ok to spray water in their face but not let them paddle in a puddle of water!!!

i had a paddling pool in my garden last summer and bracken jumped om the side and the nect thing i knew she was swimming round and rounf i think she was panicking so i got he out immediately, i did not stop her doing it again though!!!!

bertie prefers to sit on the wet mad patch i have (where i am waiting for the turf to be laid) rather than sitting on the grass that has already been put down.... like people the are all individual and have different likes and dislikes.

so tree if it works for you and them go for it!!!

eve x

That's fair enough Adele, however I feel I've been personally insulted myself. I wouldn't start picking people apart had they of not done it to me first.

I will not say sorry, as I do not go out of my way to be rude, although if people think it's ok to make comments to me then I am afraid it makes them fair game for a comment back. I am sorry I argued on your forum, I am not sorry for what I said.

bunnylove said:
tree honey do what you feels is best only you know what your rabbits are like, and you are the BEST person to judge!!

i know my rabbits inside out (well most anyway) i know what they like what they dont like and what the will tollarte and will not.

why is it ok to spray water in their face but not let them paddle in a puddle of water!!!

i had a paddling pool in my garden last summer and bracken jumped om the side and the nect thing i knew she was swimming round and rounf i think she was panicking so i got he out immediately, i did not stop her doing it again though!!!!

bertie prefers to sit on the wet mad patch i have (where i am waiting for the turf to be laid) rather than sitting on the grass that has already been put down.... like people the are all individual and have different likes and dislikes.

so tree if it works for you and them go for it!!!

eve x

Thank you :D

I think its very important that the needs of individual bunnies are taken into account and also that you bare in mind when deciding how to bond what problems can develop. There are additional risks to things like car rides and sessions in the bath e.g. not being able to get to the rabbits quickly to seperate them or injuries caused by slipping on the bath surface trying to get out or fight.

Irrespective of your views please put them across in a polite manner and bare in mind that two wrongs don't make a right or an exceptable excuse :)

Tam

Tamsin said:
Irrespective of your views please put them across in a polite manner and bare in mind that two wrongs don't make a right or an exceptable excuse :)

Tam

Good point, I wont do it again, sorry. :D

I know this has turned into a controversial topic, but I said I would post pictures and these are ones I have taken, as you can see the water in minimal and the bunnies aren't scared of the water they just don't want to get wet.

Pic018.jpg

Pic021.jpg

This is the pic of them afterwards Maisie is sitting in her litter tray on the left, Bea is tucking into her spring greens on the right. As you can see the pen that I have them in allows them to sniff and see each other constantly, Beatrix has constant access to the kitchen, so it's not like they don't know each other. They have been sniffing each other more and stopped trying to scratch each others faces through the bars, so it is honestly helping them.

Pic026a.jpg

I have to agree with Kate and Birdie Bun (and of course Tamsin about keeping it clean) that each bunny is different, they all have their own strong personalities and like different things and it is what makes them so adorable, this forum wouldn’t exist if they were all like robots, exactly the same.

My buns were traumatised by a 10 min drive to and from the vet - (when I walked there they were fine) After a trip to the vet - if I approached wearing shoes (I only wear shoes when I’m going out and they realised this!! :D ) for at least a week afterwards they would run away from me in panic ……….see something as simple as a pair of shoes can stress a bunny!!!!! :lol: :lol:

We had lots of low flying aircraft, fireworks, and violent thunderstorms going on about us and they never batted an eyelid, they also lived with a dog and were never scared …….and a lot of people would think these things stressful …….though put a child in the same room and they would freak out :lol: :lol: ……and a lot of people wouldn’t think this stressful!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I think only the people who know a bun the best can judge was is stressful for each one, and I’m sure Tree didn’t just leave them in in there and go off and watch TV ………she was standing over them ready to intervene if the need arose.

yeah lovely pictures Tree, lets hope they can all be together soon bounding around the house and then................you can start bonding Zippy and Scooby with those 4 ha ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol: will it ever end!

They don't exactly look happy though do they?

I didn't want to start an argument earlier by suggesting that it's cruel but I have to agree with Louise and Bluebunny. It sounds like you're in too much of a hurry to bond them and haven't given neutral territory the (often very long) time it needs to be able to work.

Also, if you have to resort to using "extreme" bonding methods like this then do the rabbits really want to be together in the first place? Every time I've acquired another rabbit I've had to consider what I'll do if I can't bond them. It's just another factor that people should consider when taking on another rabbit, much like vet fees and space. I certainly wouldn't want to bond my rabbits at any cost - including their happiness.

yeah I took my bunny to the vets on Friday for the 1st time (myxi jab). I took my budgie too, now in our home the budgie tends to be more nervous however he talked and sang all the way to the vets, in the vets etc but my poor little bunny shrunk up so he was as small as possible and was petrified by being in the car and the vets :( i felt so cruel and he has gotta go through it all again a week on Friday for his VHD jab and then again to be neutered! he will hate me by the end of all this, but it is for his own good :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back