• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bonding tip that really works. Pictues added

Status
Not open for further replies.
bunnylove said:
you will have to book them into a room for the night tree :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: some folk bring their bunnies to the Sanctuary for a holiday and bonding at the same time, as it is on neutral territory :wink: :)

Do you have any friends that would let you use their house/garden? I know of people who've had to find somewhere outside their own home due to being in a similar situation. You could set up regular times to go round there.

I dont have any experience of bonding rabbits.. yet.. but have obviously read abotu alot of others' experiences. You say you dont have any neutral territory left, however you did use the bath so im guessing that is neutral? Maybe you could have just put a towel on the floor of the bath so they dont slip around. Simba hates water.. i only have to take him in the bathroom and he stresses (had to wash his bottom a few times when he was younger). I know all rabbits are different and you know yours better than anyone, whether they are stressed etc. I hope you get them to be friends soon. At least if they are happy seeing each other through the cage bars its not awful.. means they dont hate each other at least. Good luck with them.

Adele said:
[quote="Tree"

If they looked unhappy they would be fight

Hiya, well I am in disagreement with this statement, as stressed and unhappy bunnies do not always fight, sometimes they just sit quietly and the fear they are feeling is hidden :?

With every respect to you Tree, I feel that although your method may work for you, I think you may form a different perspective if you spend many years working with and observing bunnies.[/quote]

Oh they don't really look unhappy though do they?

I dare say I would, but I am trying to make the best of a bad bonding situtaion.

Do you think that I would of in my wildest dreams that I would of posted this thread if I felt I was going to get this much critism, I wasn't trying to get everyone to stick their bunnies in the bath. It was an idea that came from the original bunny in the bath idea, which I got from an RWA leaflet. Please don't think I am saying I know the best for all bunnies, because I am just drawing from my own experiences.

Whilst I don't think that this method is cruel per se (although that will depend on the character of the rabbits involved, some would finding it far too stressful) it does seem to be rather risky as the surface will obviously be very slippery, and should a fight happen and one rabbit franticly try to get away, they could seriously injure themselves.

The car and carrier trick could be risky too, if due care is not taken. With care most risks can be avoided as the rabbits will be in a safe area, with hay or other bedding to make them comfortable. The way I do it is to take the rabbits for a drive first so they are already subdued when they are put in together. If they show signs of fighting rather than turning to each other for comfort, they go back in separate carriers. Equally if they appeared overly stressed by the car I would not try this method.

If I was really stuck for neutral space I might try the bath, but not with water in it, instead I would pad it with towels to avoid it being slippery.

I don't think it is a safe enough method to recomend to others, but obviously if Tree has found it benefits her rabbits and they are not too stressed by it, that is her affair. But perhaps you shouldn't have posted it as a tip Tree. Mentioning it, fine, you did it with your rabbits, that is your business, but as a tip perhaps not the best idea, especially as you say you expected the criticism you have recieved.

Adele said:
bunnylove said:
you will have to book them into a room for the night tree :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: some folk bring their bunnies to the Sanctuary for a holiday and bonding at the same time, as it is on neutral territory :wink: :)

your are a bit far some of us adele. i think i am due holiday, but how would i get 12 soon to be 14 buns up to you adele, i suppose i could order a coach, but have the feeling boarding all thoughs buns will cost me more than my holiday itself. :lol:

Diddeen said:
I dont have any experience of bonding rabbits.. yet.. but have obviously read abotu alot of others' experiences. You say you dont have any neutral territory left, however you did use the bath so im guessing that is neutral? Maybe you could have just put a towel on the floor of the bath so they dont slip around. Simba hates water.. i only have to take him in the bathroom and he stresses (had to wash his bottom a few times when he was younger). I know all rabbits are different and you know yours better than anyone, whether they are stressed etc. I hope you get them to be friends soon. At least if they are happy seeing each other through the cage bars its not awful.. means they dont hate each other at least. Good luck with them.

Hiya they really don't slip around. They have been better with each other the last few days and they have been sniffing each other which is new for them.

doorkeeper said:
Whilst I don't think that this method is cruel per se (although that will depend on the character of the rabbits involved, some would finding it far too stressful) it does seem to be rather risky as the surface will obviously be very slippery, and should a fight happen and one rabbit franticly try to get away, they could seriously injure themselves.

The car and carrier trick could be risky too, if due care is not taken. With care most risks can be avoided as the rabbits will be in a safe area, with hay or other bedding to make them comfortable. The way I do it is to take the rabbits for a drive first so they are already subdued when they are put in together. If they show signs of fighting rather than turning to each other for comfort, they go back in separate carriers. Equally if they appeared overly stressed by the car I would not try this method.

If I was really stuck for neutral space I might try the bath, but not with water in it, instead I would pad it with towels to avoid it being slippery.

I don't think it is a safe enough method to recomend to others, but obviously if Tree has found it benefits her rabbits and they are not too stressed by it, that is her affair. But perhaps you shouldn't have posted it as a tip Tree. Mentioning it, fine, you did it with your rabbits, that is your business, but as a tip perhaps not the best idea, especially as you say you expected the criticism you have recieved.

I did do the bath no water, but they started in there, this is how I discovered the water thing, because befor they went in for the kill, the dried off their paws.

[quote="Tree"
Oh they don't really look unhappy though do they?(Tree)

That is the point I am trying to make Tree, that you cannot always tell from what a rabbit looks like what he/ she is feeling .
As prey animals they tend to hide emotions pretty well, and stress comes out in other ways, sometimes via gut problems etc.

Do you think that I would of in my wildest dreams that I would of posted this thread if I felt I was going to get this much critism, [/quote]

I do not think that people are intending to critise you personally , just state their own experiences and ideas on what you have posted. :)

Tree said:
bluebunny said:
They had there cages set up next to each other for a few days to get used to the smell of each other.
the only neutral territory i had was the bathroom and the garden
So starting with only a few mins a day 3 times a day i would take them up to the bathroom and put them together i sprayed them both with a spray so they both smelt the same,if they started to fall out i would spilt them up and try again later,i then did the same in the garden i slowly built up to them spending an hour in the same room,it took about three months then one day while they were in the bathroom miffy started to groom claude and claude put his head down to let her, so that night i cleaned the big cage out put fresh bedding in and put them in the cage together they have been together ever since :)

Wicked I bet you were chuffed :) , I don't have a neutral territory, that's gone against me really as Beatrix and Marley have access to all the rooms, I've shot myself in the foot , as it would of made the whole process a lot easier, if I had somewhere different for them to go.
Yes i was pleased when they eventually bonded it did seem to last an age though.
Have you got a room you could shut off for a while?
Then use that room?,claude had been in the bathroom before but only a couple of times

bluebunny said:
Tree said:
bluebunny said:
They had there cages set up next to each other for a few days to get used to the smell of each other.
the only neutral territory i had was the bathroom and the garden
So starting with only a few mins a day 3 times a day i would take them up to the bathroom and put them together i sprayed them both with a spray so they both smelt the same,if they started to fall out i would spilt them up and try again later,i then did the same in the garden i slowly built up to them spending an hour in the same room,it took about three months then one day while they were in the bathroom miffy started to groom claude and claude put his head down to let her, so that night i cleaned the big cage out put fresh bedding in and put them in the cage together they have been together ever since :)

Wicked I bet you were chuffed :) , I don't have a neutral territory, that's gone against me really as Beatrix and Marley have access to all the rooms, I've shot myself in the foot , as it would of made the whole process a lot easier, if I had somewhere different for them to go.
Yes i was pleased when they eventually bonded it did seem to last an age though.
Have you got a room you could shut off for a while?
Then use that room?,claude had been in the bathroom before but only a couple of times

No :( The only room I have shut off is Zippy and Scooby's room.

how big is your bathroon tree, my bathroom has not got a bath in it, it is a shower room because my son is disabled, so its the only room kymber has not been in (dont ask me why he has been everywhere else, and the door is always open, saying that he has only been in the kitchen for a second twice and theres no door to that (typical man!)

so i use this room to do all of my bonding and when i am bonding the next pair i disinfect the floor so there is no rabit odour in there.

eve x

Tree said:
Hiya they really don't slip around.

Well please can they send their special magic sticky paws to my rabbits cos they have huge problems walking around on smooth surfaces.

Unless of course you mean that - because they're confined to one end of the bath by their fear of the water - they're not able to move around much and so don't slip.

bunnylove said:
how big is your bathroon tree, my bathroom has not got a bath in it, it is a shower room because my son is disabled, so its the only room kymber has not been in (dont ask me why he has been everywhere else, and the door is always open, saying that he has only been in the kitchen for a second twice and theres no door to that (typical man!)

so i use this room to do all of my bonding and when i am bonding the next pair i disinfect the floor so there is no rabit odour in there.

eve x

The thing is Bea and Marls go in there too, they have even gone as far as getting stuck under the bath :roll: .

Nix said:
Tree said:
Hiya they really don't slip around.

Well please can they send their special magic sticky paws to my rabbits cos they have huge problems walking around on smooth surfaces.

Unless of course you mean that - because they're confined to one end of the bath by their fear of the water - they're not able to move around much and so don't slip.

You really don't know when to stop do you? THEY DON'T GETTING WET, not because they are scared.

Okay folks I think it is time to lock this thread.

We do not agree that putting bunnies in a bath is a good general tip for bonding with all the safety issues involved.

Tree we have allowed you to have an open debate about this, but we feel that we now need to close this as things are getting personalised.

Adele and Tamsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back