• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is ignorance bliss????

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi there i have just put my two rabbits into a neutral room and they ignored each other, had a little sniff and then went to separate corners of the bathroom and stayed there.

what does this mean?, never had this before!!

male neutered and female spayed.

please tell me what is good bonding behavior and whats bad?

thanks eve x

That sounds pretty encouraging!!! I tend to think that anything such as ignoring, friendly etc is good, even some chasing and mounting, it's if they start to all out fight that you have a problem!!

We had two rabbits at work, the first time we put them together they were very friendly sniffing eachother and then ignored! They never had a cross word and are now lovers :D

Nicola

sounds great nicolar, but a bit boring maybe, i am more of a passion girl myself, watching these two was like watching paint dry :?

i have lots of bonding sets to start bonding any ideas on understanding their behavior?

Never eyed up a cute guy across the room whilst pretending to do something else? :wink: They might just be a little shy and you might find they'll be a little more demonstrative as they get used to each other :D

Tam

Tee hee, perhaps it was love at first sight? With Dex and Petunia we put it down to her not being able to see him lol as her hair goes over her eyes!! (Although he is a stunner, she wouldn't have been able to resist!!) I'm afraid I like the more boring bonding as it is less stressful! The worst he ever did was chase her a bit but soon got bored of that!lol

What sort of tips do you want understanding their behaviour?

great stuff!!!!

i am used to bracken, she is boss and likes everybody to know it, when i was bonding her their was a lot of foot stamping, mounting chasing ect....

but flopsey and boeing was a bit slow pased for me i am used to fiesty...

but maybe i will get success this time ha"!!!!!!!!

eve x

Yes I like success!! Just watch out 4 any signs of aggression, if there are then just try again the next day for a short time, sometimes it can take a while. But well worth it :)

Tamsin said:
Never eyed up a cute guy across the room whilst pretending to do something else? :wink: They might just be a little shy and you might find they'll be a little more demonstrative as they get used to each other :D

Tam

no not me :oops: :oops:

nicolar said:
Tee hee, perhaps it was love at first sight? With Dex and Petunia we put it down to her not being able to see him lol as her hair goes over her eyes!! (Although he is a stunner, she wouldn't have been able to resist!!) I'm afraid I like the more boring bonding as it is less stressful! The worst he ever did was chase her a bit but soon got bored of that!lol

What sort of tips do you want understanding their behaviour?

hi nicolar they were putting their chin over each others which i think means groom me, but they did not groom each other.

what agressive behavior do i look for? and what is positive behavior he jumped a little and i think she got scared and ran off!! :?

Yeah that normally means groom me pls, but they may have been a little shy of eachother at first. Look out for excessive chasing, and any fur flying!! You will know if it is aggressive as it isn't a pretty sight!! I personally would separate at any sign of agression, biting etc or if one gets fed up with the other and starts acting aggressively as they may just need some time out.

Positive behaviour is grooming, sitting next to eachother, ignoring, wandering about as if the other isn't there!! Some rabbits are more jumpy so could just have been the situation making him jump and her run off!!

Nicola

nicolar said:
Sounds like they will be loved up in no time at all!! :D How old are they?

he is about 7 months i think, he done a long stint in a pet shop so i am not to sure for definate and boeing is about 2 years i think, i took her care over from lottie if you can remember her in "rabbits in need" request.

hopefully it will work out nicely so i can work on the next pair :shock:

Eve x

You know, mine ignore each other, but they've been ignoring each other for over a month. They never fight or anything, and I leave them together 24/7 now, but they just haven't made the transition to loving up...

It's the first pair I've ever tried to bond, though, so I don't know if that's normal.

Back