• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression,

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Beatrix is driving me to despair, since having a few other bunnies she has been a proper madam.

Every time I come out of my spareroom from seeing the white bunnies she attacks me! She waits outside the door for me to come out, I always make a point of rubbing her head and saying hello, I turn my back and it's the same thing each time she starts to growl and lunges at me from behind and bites my leg. When I turn back round to her, she pretends nothings happened, but if I try walking off she does it again.

She is constantly tormenting Maisie and Bob, she's even given Maisie quite a nasty injury during a bonding session yesterday. In the end last night we said sod her and stuck her in the pen on her own and let Bob and Maisie have the run of the house for the evening with Marley. Poor Bob and Maisie should be free range by now, the only reason they are not is because of the trouble caused by Bea, what should I do?

Oooh heavens!! I know everyone has said that girl buns are the worst for being very terratorial. Maybe when you leave the room with the white buns instead of just giving Bea a nose rub, pick her up and cuddle her. She obviously feels very jealous of the other buns having your attention.

Maybe have an evening rota like half the evening all hte buns can play without Bea and the other half Bea can play out on her own? Hmmm sorry I can't be of more use!

Hi Romy, She is fine with Marley it's the other buns she hates, her and Marley are total free range she has never spent a night in a cage while she has been with me and I've had her since she was twelve weeks old. I stuck her in the pen last night because we thought we would see how she likes it, having to be locked up for a change (she hated it).

I couldn't pick her up and cuddle, Oh No she would rip off my hands, she reminds me of that bunny in monty pythons, holy grail sometimes.

She loves Marley see below, pic to prove it, but she bites him sometimes too.
I love her to bits and shouldn't say it but she is my fav, but her attitude stinks and she is a bully. Also I am fed up of getting home and finding she has decided which room we are next redecorating, please note the missing plaster and skirting board madam Beatrix did that, as well as the wall paper, she's also ripped up the lino.

Beatrix and Marley
Pic006.jpg

Ahhhh what a cute couple!!!! Hmmm I really can't say whats with her maybe thats her personality - wild woman!! :shock: :roll: :lol:

My minilop girl (years ago rainbow bridge) was pretty fiesty even after being spayed. You had to watch her all the time as she would go for wallpaper and everything.... :roll: She did calm down as she got older though. Really sorry I don't have more helpful advice!! xxxxxx

She sounds just like Isadora!! She growled at me and bit my jumper after I had been holding one of the others this afternoon. Then when I chased her back into the bathroom (from which she had escaped by biting the door and pulling :roll: ) she decided to bite poor Merlin, as if he had done anything wrong :? Luckily he won't tolerate this, he gives her a sharp nip and she backs off everytime. She is extremely affectionate with him most of the time, she just gets a little carried away sometimes. :roll:

I had to give up trying to bond her into a trio with Strawberry and Clover as it clearly was not going to work, it was war :shock:

I found out that this was why she was put up for rehoming. Her previous owner had all her other rabbits in a group, but Issie just wouldn't get along with them.

She is also the most destructive of all the rabbits, leaving a trail of stripped wallpaper and chewed books and wood behind her :roll:

I am hoping it is partly her age. She is a teenager after all :wink: How old is Beatrix? Maybe she will mellow as she gets older? I am hoping Issie will. But for now I have resigned myself to the fact that she will only tolerate being in a pair. So I have an upstairs pair and a downstairs pair. Luckily none of them have learned to use the stairs. Yet.

Is it possible Beatrix could be blind or has only partial sight? Maybe as you walk away she gets a fright by your shape moving away either that or she's just plain jealous :lol: How long do you give her nose rubs for? could you try doing it just a little bit longer? If she's allowed veggies maybe you could keep ahold of little bit of brocolli or slice of carrot and feed that to her every time you come out of the room? Or maybe you could try walking away a bit slower and keep talking to her and see if that calms her down?

Angela

tree, bracken is just the same and has always been a complete cow!!! i love her to bits to and she is my favorite (wispering as i say that) anyway when i got her at 7 weeks she was very loving to her partner (another girl) and the partner was the boss. bebe was the friendlier of the two and bracken would not let you near her.

when we loss bebe i got another rabbit a buck to bond her to, she lets him know she is boss but loves him too bit, she will lick him for hours (honest) how her tongue doesnt hurt i dont know!!!
but i think he is still scared of her, he caught her of guard when they first meet and she tore a lump out of his neck, then they humped on the next meeting and 4 week later she had her litter :shock: .

and now she lets ever rabbit thats comes through the door know that she is boss, she growls at me and the only time she has been nice to me was when she was kindling!!!

sorry to drown on but i think maybe keeping them separate is the best thing, bracken has free range of the garden and wll not tolarate being caged at all so i put her out with all the others but they are allways put in runs other than her bow. other wise she would ripp them up!!!

Eve x

Ahhhhh, she sound like she is an attention seeker and wants all of mummy's attention :D . She sounds like a little devil :twisted:

Has she been spayed :?:

Sometimes vets can give them a hormone injection that calms them down, this might be worth a try or some Bach Flower Remedy (Holly) is the one we use at the centre a few drops in their water helps with aggression.

Hope this helps

Thank you everyone, it looks like something I am going to have to put up with.

She is neutered and is about one and a half,

She was doing it again last night, I went up the stairs and I could see her at the bottom watching me and hiding (which she doesn't do a very good job at as I can always see her nose sticking out). I thought I would just open the door to the white bunnies bedroom to see what she does, she legged it up the stairs so fast she nearly broke her neck, I went into the bedroom closed the door behind me, came straight back out and she lunged at me while growling again.

When I clean the white bunnies litter tray or feed them, I leave the bedroom door open and she sits just outside the door and watches, a couple of times she goes to stand up to come in and I just say "NO" and she sits back down again. So she can be quite obdient when she wants to be.

She is affection, but it's on her terms only, she lets me rub her head and back, she will also climb all over me when I am on the sofa. if I am eating chocolate that sends her mental and she will even go as far as to grab it from my mouth. Picking her up is defanate no no, yet when I am in the house all she does is follows me around, she really doesn't let me have a moment to myself. She is a very strange bunny, none of the others her like her at all.

She obviously knows there are new bunnies in that room, and she wants in so she can beat them up and let them know who's boss. The fact that she lunges at you as soon as you walk out the door suggests to me that she's lying in wait in case it's one of the bunnies that comes out rather than you. By the time she knows it's you, she's already committed to her course of action and so she attacks anyway. So, I don't think she's really attacking you at all. I think she's attacking the new buns. Even when she knows it's you that came out, you still smell of them, so she'll carry on for a bit just to be on the safe side.

Like Thumps said, maybe her eyesight is a bit dodgy, so she's led by smell rather than sight and when you walk out of that room you're the biggest enemy rabbit in existence.

Bertie said:
She obviously knows there are new bunnies in that room, and she wants in so she can beat them up and let them know who's boss. The fact that she lunges at you as soon as you walk out the door suggests to me that she's lying in wait in case it's one of the bunnies that comes out rather than you. By the time she knows it's you, she's already committed to her course of action and so she attacks anyway. So, I don't think she's really attacking you at all. I think she's attacking the new buns. Even when she knows it's you that came out, you still smell of them, so she'll carry on for a bit just to be on the safe side.

Like Thumps said, maybe her eyesight is a bit dodgy, so she's led by smell rather than sight and when you walk out of that room you're the biggest enemy rabbit in existence.

You know what, that is a very good point she doesn't attack me anywhere else around the house, she has attack Bryn coming oiut that room too. She is not lacking on fuss, because she knows she can have a fuss when ever she wants one, she's the one who normaly tells me to sod off, because I fuss her too much.

:lol: :lol: I like the thought that I am a giant rabbit.

Thumps said:
Is it possible Beatrix could be blind or has only partial sight? Maybe as you walk away she gets a fright by your shape moving away either that or she's just plain jealous :lol: How long do you give her nose rubs for? could you try doing it just a little bit longer? If she's allowed veggies maybe you could keep ahold of little bit of brocolli or slice of carrot and feed that to her every time you come out of the room? Or maybe you could try walking away a bit slower and keep talking to her and see if that calms her down?

Angela

I have tried giving her treats and talking to her, I have stopped being shocked by it now as I expected her to attack me, I actually more supprised when she doesn't now :roll:, but I have some right bruises on the back of my legs.

Back