• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

japonica???

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi my children bought my a plant pot filled with japonica for mothers day!!!
if this poisionous to the rabbits?

thanks

Hiya - Soz not sure what happened to my post reply to this earlier - must have been the miday Sunday Wine - say no more :wink:

Did a search on the Internet and Pieris and Andromeda Japonica can be very harmful to Pets so I guess the safest best would be to keep your Bunster well clear - if you have the full name on the label just pop a search under Google and it should bring some details up for you.

But Lucky you - I got zilch for Mums day - even from the bunnies - guess I'm just not appreciated eh :lol: :lol: :cry:

:? Eve, there has to be another word in front of japonica such as Chaenomeles japonica, the actual japonica bit means that the plant species probably orginated in Japan when it was first discovered.

As Lany says though, probably best to keep it away from bunnies, you know, 'if in doubt, leave it out' :wink: Most houseplants are poisonous to pets, if not immediately fatal, then over a long term basis causing internal damage to organs such as liver, kidneys etc. Same goes for outdoor plants, unless you are certain they cause no harm to buns, get rid of them. Always better to be safe than sorry.

bunnyhuggger said:
:? Eve, there has to be another word in front of japonica such as Chaenomeles japonica, the actual japonica bit means that the plant species probably orginated in Japan when it was first discovered.

As Lany says though, probably best to keep it away from bunnies, you know, 'if in doubt, leave it out' :wink: Most houseplants are poisonous to pets, if not immediately fatal, then over a long term basis causing internal damage to organs such as liver, kidneys etc. Same goes for outdoor plants, unless you are certain they cause no harm to buns, get rid of them. Always better to be safe than sorry.

hi thanks lany and lynda, it does say pieris japonica " little heath" on it, and i did keep it away from kymber but it such a big pot have nowhere for it, hows that my only mothers day pressie and it poisionous to my bun :shock: i have no idea even how to care for it!!! so no lynda i have not one plant in the garden as i know nothing about them at all!!!!

i cant even manage to keep herb pots alive!!

thanks again
Eve x

I've no idea if it's poisonous to bunnies or not (I'm guessing it is) but Pieris japonica 'Little Heath' is a hardy outdoor shrub so that might help you? It likes acidic soil so it's often grown in pots, and in the garden its ideal conditions are out of strong winds in humus rich damp but well drained soil. It prefers full sun or light shade and grows to about 2ft x 2ft.
Looks like you've got at least one plant in your garden now :) Happy gardening :)

no katie it sitting on my ironing board out of the way!!! how can i put it in the garden if it is poisionious to rabbits (i have 12) can it survive in its pot or does it need planting? if it need planting i may have to put it in the front garden so that the bunnies cant get to it!

eve x

OK I definitely wouldn't plant it where twelve rabbits could get to it :) . Even if it wasn't poisonous - which I'm still guessing it is - it wouldn't last very long :) .
It'd probably be better planted out in the front garden if you're not much of a gardener. It won't thrive if you've got alkaline soil unless you plant it in ericaceous compost which is for acid lovers and give it an occasional water with an acid enhancing feed. Hopefully though your soil is already at least slightly acid and you can just put it in the ground and more or less leave it. The alternative is to keep it in its pot and make sure it stays watered, repot it to its final pot size when it gets bigger with the compost I mentioned and don't water it with hard water.
It won't like very hard frost but its hardy enough to survive most UK conditions without pampering. It is an outdoor plant though so it won't thrive inside.
Good luck with it :D .

My garden has had everything rabbit friendly eaten by the wild rabbits, so my poor lot don't even get a look in, nor do most of the plants I'd like to grow :( . I keep staring out at it wondering how I can alter the balance on that without keeping the wildlife out. Oh well..

:shock: :shock: :shock: omg!!!! it sounds like i have adopted another kid!!!

i did not realise there was so much to know when rehoming :lol: a plant!!

by the sounds o it it wont last very long here as i am baffled, if you needed a licence to own a plant they certainly would not give me one!! :lol: :lol:

thanks for trying though :lol:
Eve x

bunnyhuggger said:
Oh, and Lany, I got nuttin eeder :roll:

Wanna come out for a pint of Bailey's to drown our sorrows :D

:lol: :lol: You'd have thought at least the Buffs, Cagney and Zac would ave sent me a card - Pint of Bailey's it is then Gal!

:lol: :lol: It's not that complicated really, Honest! If you've got camellias, rhododendrons or heathers growing anywhere near your house or in the fairly local area then your soil is probably acid enough. Just wait till the soil's a bit warmer then dig a hole and stick it in.
You could do this anyway and if the leaves turn all yellow then you'll know you've got alkaline soil so then you can go and buy something to increase the acidity, but you'll have a few months before that happens, and if you don't want to bother with it then it'll be far enough away from Mother's Day not to have a problem with disposing of it discreetly :D .
In the meantime just put it outside near the house and water it if it doesn't snow or rain - which lets face it isn't likely :p .

hi kate i have absulutley nothing growing in the garden as i have just had a new lawn layed so i dont know what the earth is like.

but during the winter there was some very large muchrooms in the front garden and some flowers with long green leaves and white bell like flowers have started to appear :shock:

useless arent i

eve x

Are the white flowers tall or short? Are the leaves >1cm or less than 1cm wide?

If they are tall with >1cm leaves my best guess would be white blue/hare bells although this may be a little early for them. If they are short with thin leaves they are probably snowdrops and you are lucky as they are very pretty, delicate little flowers.

Caz

Caz said:
Are the white flowers tall or short? Are the leaves >1cm or less than 1cm wide?

If they are tall with >1cm leaves my best guess would be white blue/hare bells although this may be a little early for them. If they are short with thin leaves they are probably snowdrops and you are lucky as they are very pretty, delicate little flowers.

Caz

the flowers are small the leaves are really long and slim...

snow drops then????

thanks caz

Yup - I just spent the weekend planting 100 "green" snowdrop bulbs (they are already sprouting) so when you wrote the description every last bulb I planted swam before my eyes again :shock: !

They are lovely little plants and always come up when it is still too cold for most other flowers - just didn't know when I mentioned they were nice that the mother-in-law would order me 100!! :lol: I had to plant them in little groups in the freezing cold semi-darkness last night :? !

And there you go getting them without any effort :evil: ! ;) :lol:

Caz

Hi Eve

I love snowdrops but unfortunately they're not one of the plants that'll tell you what kind of soil you have so depends on how much effort you want to go to here :p . You can get a really easy soil testing kit from any garden centre or when the weather's warmed the soil a bit plant it anyway and see what happens. If the soil's too alkaline within a few months the leaves will start going yellow. It won't be too late to correct the problem then if you want to.

It'd be nice to have it growing though because they're pretty little shrubs and don't need any effort once they're in the right place :) . You're not useless, you're just like me with computers, you've always had things to do that interest you more :D .

Twelve rabbits make gardening very hard anyway :D .
I've got six and am about to get two more but mine are all house buns. Outside though between the wild rabbits, birds, mice, badgers, foxes and country rats I've just about given up on my garden. The only things growing out there now are the stuff the wildlife don't touch, and round here that isn't much :( . I'm a frustrated gardener these days :( . Well best of luck with yours :) .

hay kate

i go to wales once every 8 weeks for the day! well oswestry actually, but how bout i pick you up and you can come and do my garden i would love to have pretty flowers and shrubs but know nothing, i cant even keep herb pots alive :shock: :shock: .

the only thing is i will have to drop you home eight weeks later, because it takes me best part of 10 hrs to get there and back... :shock: :lol:

thanks for your help. i may send a picture of it later to confirm the breed :shock:

:lol: So all I'd have to do is persuade my neighbour to look after eight rabbits, three cats and my daughter for eight weeks. Sure she'd have no problem with that :D .

Where in the country are you? Oswestry's a long way from here more's the pity. But then just about everywhere is a long way from here :p I'm always happy to help with gardening advice though if you do start making one :) .

kate oswestry in on the boarder of wales near shropshire, and i am in essex near london!!!

i will get some advise from you when the garden is ready just been rotavated nd had new lawn laid, and now we have started on the enclosures for my buns.

thanks again

eve x

Back