• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

terrortorial wabbit...??

ollie

Warren Scout
My lil' bun Ollie :twisted: has turned into a right horror to pick up from out of her hutch. I understand they are very protective when in their house but this is beyond a joke! :cry:

She's always been an angel to get out but as she's reached maturity its now a no-go area. She kicks, scratches, bites, lunges, and has even started making a horrible hissing/growling type sound. :twisted: :twisted:

As I said, I totally understand that they are terrortorial (sp) but surely there is something I can do that will calm her down abit?? :?

She's great to handle when she's out of her hutch and I can do anything to her and she's quite happy, it is literally when I try to pick her up out of her hutch!

No, I am planning on it though. My vet advised me to wait a couple of months till she was a bit older because we arent exactly sure just how old she is, as she was extremly young when I found her in October!

Do you think it will help??

Speying witll DEFINITELY help. The territorial behaviour is a large part of becoming sexually mature. You might want to contact your vet and tell them that Ollie's now becoming territorial as, above anything else, it'll place her age a little better (probably between about 3-6 months of age). I had both my girls speyed as soon as dominant behaviour started at 4 months of age.

yes it tends to sort 95% of behavior problems out!, but you will find most good vets will not spay a girl until she is at least 6 months old!

I would try and coax her into a carrier or out of her hutch using food or something she likes, as these behaviours can soon become learnt and spaying doesn't always help!!!

Has she had a bad experience at all being got out as this can make them aggressive?

Nicola

I agree ...... Feena, my female, couldn't be spayed until she'd passed the 6 month mark, but females are known to be very territorial so spaying is necessary (and will reduce her cancer risk too) :) .

In the meantime have you tried bunnyspeak? ..........If you scream (or more SQUEAL - high pitched but not too loud, you don't want want to scare her!) when she really goes for you, buns often back off as they don't want to be aggressive and certainly don't want to hurt anybody .....try it .....if she's scared it was too loud ...........if she looks confused and backs off it worked!!!! :D

I bribed my bun around being territorial :oops:

and it worked, I only use a carrier to get her out now, and I can stroke her fully without losing a hand

nicolar said:
Has she had a bad experience at all being got out as this can make them aggressive?
Nicola

No, thats what I dont understand, she is very loving and loves to be handled whilst she's out the hutch. :?

I'm going to ring the vets first thing tomorrow, she's roughly 6-8 months old now, so shouldnt really be a problem to spay her, should it?

How's everyones female bun's coped after being spayed? Have they had a major personality change?

You know me, I worry over anything :oops:

It definitely won't be a problem at 6-8 months. Trust me, you and she will both be better off for it.

No big personality changes here, not even for the better. lol Both girls pretty much stayed the same although the dominance battle is much less, although Xena's quite bad again at the moment as I think she's stressed because they can smell Tillie at the other side of the room.

But you'll be preventing Ollie having horrible uterine cancers later in life and I'm willing to bet it'll cut down on the territorial problems big time.

Feena, my female was fine after being spayed, quiet and fairly still for a few days (though confined to cage you could still tell it wasn't normal) so she was obviously in pain.

Con the male was a different story, felt sooooo sorry for himself you'd think he was dying ......typical male :lol: :lol: :lol: ........and it's nowhere near as serious an operation!!! :roll:

Thanks guys!! Once again you've all come to my rescue - dont know what I'd do without you :wink: She booked in for an check over appointment on Thursday and if alls 110% she'll be going in sometime next week!
Once again, Thanks x x x

Back