• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd bunny behaviour at breakfast time...

Kerri C

Mama Doe
I just thought I'd ask if anyone here has ever experienced anything like this before with their bunnies, and if it is anything to worry about?

Over the last week, I have gone into the shed as normal to feed Poppy and Ralf (only ever happened at breakfast time), and she will be binkying around the shed as normal when I am feeding Ralf, then when she is in the middle of running around, she will totally flop on the floor on her side for a few seconds and then start binkying again???!!! :shock:

She has done this twice now, and Im really not sure why? :?

Sometimes when I go into feed her, she is still half asleep and does a big front stretch with her 2 front paws and a yawn, but these two times she just flops and starts running around again for no reason?!!

Do you think she is just stretching in a rather parculiar way, or do you think she may have heart problems or something. She has never done it whilst hopping around the garden or in the house, or even at tea time, only twice at breakfast time.

Has anyone ever come across this before? :?

Difficult one really without seeing first hand but Cagney sometimes does this but only very occasionally - almost like a playful thing really that she will run around and flop over onto her side just for a min or so and binky around again - I hoping that its just that you have a very playful happy bunster there but I'm sure the other mad Forum Folk will be up and about soon who may have had more experience of this for you.

The stretch and Yawn thing is a natural and lovely to watch bunny thing - Buffs will sometimes be sleepy first thing (like all us gals eh!) and her two front feet stretch out and boy oh boy - what a big mouth she has (No comments about following her mum please :roll: :lol: )

Yeah ive seen simba do a yawn and stretch when he's been resting for a while. He does lay down suddenly after binkying but doesnt usually get back up for a while :lol:

bunnytales said:
Difficult one really without seeing first hand but Cagney sometimes does this but only very occasionally - almost like a playful thing really that she will run around and flop over onto her side just for a min or so and binky around again - I hoping that its just that you have a very playful happy bunster there but I'm sure the other mad Forum Folk will be up and about soon who may have had more experience of this for you.

The stretch and Yawn thing is a natural and lovely to watch bunny thing - Buffs will sometimes be sleepy first thing (like all us gals eh!) and her two front feet stretch out and boy oh boy - what a big mouth she has (No comments about following her mum please :roll: :lol: )

I think after reading your reply - it may just be a playful thing bunnytales, as she is a complete fruitcake all the time!! :shock: She just starts throwing her daft lugs all over the place, and binkying around the shed (for a matter of seconds, so its not as though she's flopping cos she's tired) and then she flops onto her side, and then gets up seconds later and starts binkying again!! Hope it is just playfullness, she is extremely loopy and energetic!! Thanks for your replies! :D

There's nowt to worry about when a bunny flings itself on to its side mid-binky. It's just a sign of a happy relaxed bunny.

Bertie said:
There's nowt to worry about when a bunny flings itself on to its side mid-binky. It's just a sign of a happy relaxed bunny.

Thanks for that, thats a bit of a relief!! :D

Darcy does the same!! He loves doing his two paw stretch and yawn!! Darcy does the mad hatter binkying then flops for a rest and does it again. I just assumed he was a bit tired or deciding to ly down and then still feels the urge to binky again!! :lol:

My bun does that: not even when he's running around. He'll just be sitting there and eating a reaaly good bit of carrot or oats, and then when he's finished "ahhhhhh!" and flops over on his side. Scared the pants off of me at first, but here is something I found on a webpage from the house rabbit society that made me feel better:

Flopping.

Your rabbit, who has been sitting quietly, or grooming herself, suddenly falls over on her side, exposing her belly. you think she's having a heart attack: "I'm like totally relaxed. Life is wonderful, and so am I."

:D

Skip binkys so much he usually crashes into a wall or some object in the way :!: :!:

I also love the yawning and streching it's soooo cute. :lol:

Back