• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

test for pastuella

If your bun is sneezing your vet can do a nasal swab and culture it to see what grows, and will be able to tell you exactly what it is and then prescribe the appropriate antibiotics.

Pasteurella can also cause runny eyes and wheezy chests...etc

Yep, they can do swabs for it. Its meant to be one of those things like EC though, the bun may test positive but never show any sypmtoms. Its been suggested that most petshop rabbits will have it anyway.

Tam

You can also get false negative results, & false positive results too, though, because all rabbits harbour the Pasteurella bacteria in their nasal cavity, regardless of whether it is full blown Pasteurellosis or not. This is what my rabbit book says (by rabbit vet Virginia Richardson).

I had a swab done once on a rabbit that came back negative & i swear to this day that she had Pasteurellosis.

I spoke to the lab myself who told me the test was fairly accurate, but i got the feeling the chap didn't really know!!

Back