• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit currants everywhere!

Marigold

Warren Scout
Help!!
Do your buns poo in their trays or do they leave the floor covered in currants?!!!
I have just moved house and am wondering if its a marking thing?
It certainly a very messy thing.....
It used to be the odd few, now is hundreds!! My poor dustbuster has never worked so hard!
Tell me has anyone ever experienced this? Does it get better?!!!

hehehe Crystal done the same thing when i took her to my OH's house!!! he went mad he never seen such a messy bunny!!!! :lol:

I would say it was just scatering, I have this problem with Bea if a I have a new bun, I just pick them up and pop them back in the litter tray until it stops.

I would imagine your bunny is thinking - "I had just got that other warren nicely marked as my territory and she goes and moves us to a new warren - now I have to start all over again. Hmm lets start with a few currants to make sure I stake my claim before any other bunnies turn up then we'll start work on the chinning" :lol: ;)

I am sure it will settle down once s/he feels secure again.

Caz

It is a territory thing. Once they are used to being where they are it will probably stop, mine were fine until I introduced another bun and they now scatter poops all over the floor again.

we had the same problem's when we got our new sofa just before xmas.

for a few days all the bun's were walking around it and leaving poop's funny thing is that they were just around the sofa.

they have all calmed down now though thank god :)

Hi Marigold,

I am so glad you raised that post as I am having exactley the same problem.....

Splats has had to be moved inside as he has not been well recently....and my utility room has turned into a right poop zone. The other half is not too happy about him living indoors especially when he steps in rabbit poop : ).

I am glad everyone says this should stop as he was always such a tidy bunny in his own house......

Anyone got any ideas how to stop little puddles though......I keep getting them to clear up too....I know we might get the odd accident with splats as he has a bit of kidney damage, but he is doing them right next to the litter tray so am thinking he might just be getting lazy.....he does do the majorityin his litter tray though.......

Since I have more than two bunnies, litter box habits have gone to pots - eventhough most wees go into the litter box. Poos certainly don't as they all have their own personal claim to the territory (they all use the same room to exercise)! In their cages, they are much better and all wees and most poos go into the litter box!

Vera

Does the litter tray have a cut out section that is easy to get over? It may be because it is a little painful to wee he is putting off climbing into his tray.

Mine who have no kidney probs do it next to their litter tray when they think it needs emptying - Athena can be so prissy sometimes! As soon as I clean it out she uses the box again fine :roll: .

Caz

Since I got my new bun nearly 3 months ago now they've started pooing all over the floor :( would love to know how long this is likely to go on for if anyone else has experienced litter training upsets???

touie said:
Since I got my new bun nearly 3 months ago now they've started pooing all over the floor :( would love to know how long this is likely to go on for if anyone else has experienced litter training upsets???

My 2 were both fine to begin with (they live in a shed with a divider down the middle) and Poppy has always been VERY clean and only "decorates" her hutch, but Ralf does them inside the litter tray mainly, but there are loads littered around the litter tray and this has been going on for about 6mths!! Dont think I'll ever get him to stop, I just have to have a sweeping brush handy everytime I walk in the door! :lol:

The only suggestion I have is the same as some others posted on here. Pick up the poops and put them in the litter tray, if they wee on the floor, mop it up with kitchen roll and put that in the litter tray. Put extra newspaper around the litter tray to soak up thoses wees which dont get into the tray and perhaps have another 1 or 2 aditional trays around the place until things improve.

I previoulsy had an indoor rabbit which used to wee next to the tray and ended up placeing the litter tray inside a larger tray which had an assortment of bowls in it including redigrass, hay and water which encouraged him to get into the tray to eat and drink, that did improve things as he couldnt quite reach them unless he got into the tray.

Back