• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oat Hay? treat or free choice?

lauren K.

Young Bun
Hi Everybody.

I have a question about oat hay. I usually give timothy, but I picked up a bit of oxbow oat hay to give a bit of variety. They LOVE the oat hay, and scarf it right up.

So, knowing how anything that I enjoy is terrible for me :lol: , I wondered if oat hay should be considered a treat, or should be given free-choice like other hays. I know that the oats themselves are a treat, but what about oat hay?

Thanks,

Lauren

no a rabbit can have as much hay as possible and timothy is a really good quality hay so thats probalby y they like it so much.
not sure about oat hay ,whats the difference??
becky

I don't know. I guess that timothy and oat are just different plants?

I never heard of timothy before I got rabbits, tho. Not up on my grasses...

I've just read that oat hay should be given in conjunction with timothy hay on a couple of websites. :wink:

Thanks for the link, Tam.

Let me say, if you do ever see it in the UK, try it out! My rabbits like it better than pellets, which is not the case with Timothy hay.

we can get it in the uk i got a small sampel and can order it but is very expencive for us its about £50 for a bale size whereas a normal bale is about £2.50 but it is worth having if u have sick bunny as it put then bk on ther food again or they will eat this instead of any thing, timothy hay is alot better quailty then british hay as the conditoins they r grown in
becky

Back