• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed!!

Kerri C

Mama Doe
hello, I put up this post yesterday, but no-one replied so not sure if I posted it right, or if no-one knew the answer???

Could anyone tell me if walnut branches are ok to give to the rabbits, so they can peel the bark off?? I know they love apple trees and pear trees but not sure if a walnut tree may be bad for them?? I left the branches in the utility room last night as darent put them in for my buns until I know for sure! Please reply!!

to be honest i saw this yesterday but have no idea, i will try to find out for you today, see what info i can find on the net.

Eve x

Not sure really. There may be some good info about that kind of things in books or on the net. But if you can’t find the info then I wouldn’t give your buns any. However if you want to risk it you could try a little peace maybe.

Thanks bunnylove!! I just know they usually end up eating things as well as peeling the bark off, so wanted to make doubly sure! :lol:

Its ok everyone, I have just "asked Jeeves" and he reckoned that apple trees, walnut, oak and pecan are ok, but ones to totally avoid are apricot, cherry, peach, plum, redwood, cedar and juniper due to the toxins which make them poisenous to bunsters. Think I'll go and ring my mother in law to double check that they are definately walnut! Thanks for your replies!! :lol:

Back