• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter

L McGreig

Young Bun
What does everyone use in litter trays?

What are the ones that are dangerous is it all cat litter or just certain ones?

Hi, I use a layer of sawdust, a layer of wood-based cat litter and then hay on top. I scoop out the wet bits each day and add more litter in the corners. The clay (clumping) cat litter is the stuff to avoid but wood-based stuff is ok. Newspaper is quite good too but it gets soaked at the bottom and then sits there until you clean the whole tray out, so for this reason I tend to avoid it. Hope that helps :)

Hi

I use a layer of newspaper on bottom, then layer of cat litter (wood pellets) and then some hay for them to munch on.

Nicola

nicolar said:
Hi

I use a layer of newspaper on bottom, then layer of cat litter (wood pellets) and then some hay for them to munch on.

Nicola
I did the same, until Ben found the newspaper. Then it was torn newspaper, pellets, hay and poop everywhere !! Somewhat defeated the object of the litter tray :shock: :D. Now it is just a thin layer of the wood pellets and then hay on top to sit on / chew.

On a side note, it is cheaper if you buy the cat wood pellet litter rather than the small animal one - and it is exactly the same stuff, just different packaging.

hehehe Simba did exactly the same thing Sally!! :lol:
I use paper based cat litter at the moment.. i tried the wood based one once but then he stopped using his tray so went back to the paper based one from tescos again.

Salsa said:
I did the same, until Ben found the newspaper. Then it was torn newspaper, pellets, hay and poop everywhere !! Somewhat defeated the object of the litter tray :shock: :D. Now it is just a thin layer of the wood pellets and then hay on top to sit on / chew.

On a side note, it is cheaper if you buy the cat wood pellet litter rather than the small animal one - and it is exactly the same stuff, just different packaging.

I use the wood or paper litter too. Darcy would just go crazy with newpaper in his litter tray. Every mag I buy gets ripped sometimes before I even get a chance to read it!! Thanks for the tip about cat wood litter - I'll have a look for that next time! :wink:

Ah your bunnies obv have fun with newspaper then!!! I'm very lucky with my girls as they don't rip it up when it is in their trays! :D

Mine both have layer of newspaper then some wooodshavings, then layer of straw and some hay to munch on.......

I saw corn-based cat litter in the petshop at the w/e. Has anyone used this? It seemed expensive so I didn't buy any but the guy in the shop said it was ok for rabbits... however I think corn is not good for rabbits so perhaps it is not safe - anyone know?

We use newspaper topped with hay, no sawdust.

Please can I just mention that although wood based litter pellets are assumed in the main to be alright for bunnies, I would like to say that I have known several bunnies die when their owners changed to this type of litter.

The thing is, cats do not chew bedding as much as bunnies, and if bunnies swallow the wood, it can expand in the gut (as it is designed to do in the litter tray to collect urine) and cause gut statis / blockage.
Although I am sure this is a rare occurance, I now mention it to every Clients of our rabbit Hotel who uses this kind of litter.
Rabbits chew sawdust too, but they especially seem to like the taste of wood pellets :?
We will not use it here in the sanctuary, as I do not wish to take any risks.

Mine don't touch the pellets - guess it is about the only thing they don't eat :roll: !

The paper based stuff didn't seem to mask the odour enough for us (Carefresh etc) and rather annoyingly they also stopped using the tray! I have heard of other reports where changing the litter caused the rabbit to forget their toilet training - I even placed some soiled litter in the tray but they still refused to use it.

I believe there are good and bad points about the corn based stuff - in the article http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/liver-disease.html it explains the pros and cons off all available litter (bear in mind this is American though).

Caz

Thanks Adele for mentioning that :) My bunnies don't eat their litter (apart from the hay) but i'm sure there are lots of bunnies out there who will chew anything!!

nicolar said:
Thanks Adele for mentioning that :) My bunnies don't eat their litter (apart from the hay) but i'm sure there are lots of bunnies out there who will chew anything!!

Yes...........mine (well, Rob anyway) :wink:

He chewed every litter that we tried :? (which worried me as he had statis issues in the past), and he hated the sawdust, and would just dig and kick it until it was all out the tray and all over the carpet :wink: .

I just use newspaper and lots of hay on top - agree, it's not best for odour, and sometimes they mark the carpet when they jump out with wet feet, but it saves me worrying over whether they are eating the litter, and encourages them to eat hay and poo at the same time :lol: . We change their big litter trays three times a day, which is why we have three households that collect newspapers for us :wink:

Back