• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eye

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
I have noticed that my rabbit poppy has a runny eye, I am quite worried but he has'nt got a runny nose so do you just think its abit of cold in his eye because he is roming around the garden most ofthe day!!!

My Ralf had a runny eye last week which cleared up within 2 days. Think it was cos he had been running around in the garden whilst we cleaned them out and it was a freezing cold windy miserable day. Was going to take him to the vets if it didnt improve but he was fine within a couple of days. :wink: (p.s my lop bun is called "Poppy" too, she's barmey!! :lol:

This happened to Momiji as well, even though he is an indoor bun. It could have been an allergy to dust or something.

Try bathing it with cold boiled water with a pinch of salt in several times a day for a couple of days. If that doesn't improve it then go see the vet and they'll probably give you some antibitic drops incase there is an infection.

Rabbits sometimes get little ulcers on their eyes or as said it could just have been something in it.

Tam

Barcarbanate of soda mixed with water is near enough optrex and is good to. As tamsin said if it does not dry up after a couple of days then a trip to the vet is in order. Get the vet to check the teeth, if that is not the cause then if its just runny then tiacil drops are best, if there is a disscharge then fusathelmic is a cream for eyes. val

My rabbit is barmy too but shes a 'HE'!!! Thought he was a girl but we soon found out he wasnt!!!! He is soo funny just like a little dog and sooo smart and people say rabbits are stupid!!! He comes when you call his name!!!

Take you bun along to the vets. It takes a big weight off your mind. But I don't thing its anything serious. Mine has a runny eye constantly and his been to the vets a few times about it and they can't find anything wrong. I think some buns just have sensitive eyes. :)

I've just noticed that Princess has a runny eye. We are off to the vets anyhow this week as she is due her myxi so can get her eyes checked too! I am slightly concerned it may be her teeth as however hard I try she doesn't eat much hay! I've ordered lots of different types from Chinchilla website so fingers crossed I can find something she will eat! I've cut down her pellets so she is hungrier but no, hay is not something she seems to like!!! :cry:

My Bun has had a weepy eye for ages and have been to the vets lots of times to get stuff for it but it aint clearing up

Hi
Do they have newspaper in their bedding? I was told that sometimes newspaper print can cause bunnies eyes to run? Don't know if anyone else has heard this? I actually heard it on a bunny talk i went to years ago.

Sarah

Hi

Princess has newspaper in her litter tray but this is covered by one of those puppy pads and a layer of pellets and hay. Not heard of newspaper causing a weepy eye before but I will try taking it away to see if it makes any difference. I bathed it this evening, there is no discharge so hopefully something just irritated her eye. We are off to the vets this week anyhow.

Thanks

Nicola

I was struggling with a rabbit that had weepy eye last week. Is it just running, or are the tear ducts swollen? If they are swollen, that is probably what it is. It's is a bacterial infection of the tear ducts. What worked for me was washing the eyes out with a sterile saline solution, and then applying pennicilian directly into the eye. She was cleared up in a day and is back to looking like her wonderful self. :D

Runny eyes:causes are as follows u may find usefull. Drafts ,infection,mild to conjuctavitus,bloaked tear ducts, infected tear ducts,teeth problems,conformation problems, that is a kink in the duct at some point hindering the flow. val

Thanks Val - a long list to contend with! :?

Nichole - they are just runny at the mo, I bathed them in saline solution last night and will do the same today. Doesn't seem inflamed or to be bothering her, and is just the one eye. I did clean the other last night in case it was an infection and it transferred!

Back