• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toenail trimming tips?

lauren K.

Young Bun
How do you trim the toenails of a rabbit who does not want her toenails trimmed? What's the best way to do it without cutting her or traumatizing her?

Thanks for your tips!

Lauren

I sit mine on my lap with my arm around them, wedging them in place against my body by my arm and hold the relevant foot. I then trim using either guillotine clippers or a pair of large human toenail clippers (these are usually for the piggies but work on my little rex too).
The way I hold them seems to stop them struggling and moving their foot out of the way. If they are really struggling, I would suggest that you ask someone to hold onto them while you trim the nails.

My buns are really good with the clippers and sit still, but my guinea pig Hampton has to go to the vets, as he pulls his foot away at the last minute and I just feel too awful when it bleeds for a few seconds. He is so well behaved when he is at the vets and never moves. Last time he sat there with his big fat front paws in the air, chewing on the vets tie!! (he loves to chew cuffs, ties, anything material!) :lol:

One of my bunnies is so awkward when i have to trim her nails that i use a towel. I wrap her up in a clean towel (i do not cover her head) sit her facing away from me on my lap, hold the paw im about to work out outside the towel and this is ok for me :D with darker nails you can shine a torch under the nail and get someone to help you hold your bunny, as you can see the quick of the nail easier. With lighter nails its easier to see (like with my Bunty) as shes a Albino. You will soon get into the swing of things over time :D

Oh, the "bunny burrito." I had to do that when I syringe fed her. Well, she'll hate it again! :?

How often should you trim them? I had been avoiding it, because I knew she'd hate it, but now she broke a nail, so I really have to do it today. It looks a bit painful, too, the break. :(

Lauren

awww dont worry one of mine lost a nail a while ago it happens sometimes. i trim my bunnies nails about every 4 weeks depends on how quick they grow
i suppose :D my lot dont mind it so much now as they have got used to it. You can get your vet to trim them for you and show you how to do it if you are nervous. Dont worry about the broken nail as long as your bunny is walking ok and it not bleeding? your bun will be fine.

Oh dear.

She was bledding a little bit, and limping a bit. I dabbed some hydrogen peroxide on it, and am off to get some betadine spray to spray on it.

Is this a terrible thing?

Should I be very worried? I'm keeping an eye on it for infection, but the bleeding stopped and she's not acting like she's in too much pain, just favoring the other leg a bit.[/i]

I trance mine to get their nails clipped... it's a two man job mainly, one to stroke and hold and the other to clip.
I'm sure you haven't injured her very much. I've done that to a dog before and he bled for ages... all over my blooming cream couch! :evil: I just felt so guilty about it though. He was fine after a day, so I wouldn't worry too much. If it's stopped bleeding then she should be fine.

If the bleeding has stopped your bun should be ok, Just keep an eye on it When i trimmed Sukis nails a while ago i cut it a bit short, she bled for a minute or two then it stopped. It may be a litte tender so hence the walking a little funny.

Manicures are a definite two man job for us, and we do it standing it. One person stands with the bunny in their arms on their back (lower the head, and they go dopey). Other person does the clipping. I use a pair of dog claw clippers - ie the ones with the hole to put the claw through, I find it splinters them the least. I have also learned to clip little bits off as then by looking at the end you can tell when it gets to the vein. I still manage to make them bleed ocassionally - but as others have said it doens't really harm them.

As for the quesitons of how often - depends on your bun and what sort of flooring they live on, I probably do my two every month. I've always thought its better to do little and often.

Back